Gransnet forums

News & politics

"I wish I loved the human race; I wish I loved it's silly face;"

(348 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:07:11

This poem just about sums it up for me today.

Yes, she's resigned. But the nasty, vindictive vitriol coming from so many people this morning is unworthy of the rest of us.

Poor woman. She did her best. She worked so hard and for so long, without any useful help from the rest of them. And now all people can do is kick her when she's down.

Personally I think the whole country should give her the biggest and best bunch of flowers possible, and say THANK YOU FOR TRYING SO HARD!

Now let the vitriol continue....

Beammeupscottie Fri 24-May-19 12:12:05

I agree with Gonegirl.

Jane10 Fri 24-May-19 12:14:36

I absolutely and entirely agree with you gonegirl. She tried her very best to bring together people who would never agree and that was after a difficult three years trying to get the EU to agree to some sort of plan.
Impossible task for anyone. Thank you Theresa. Nobody can say that you didn't try. thanks

Nannylovesshopping Fri 24-May-19 12:14:42

I also completely agree, I hope her husband whisks her
away for a lovely holiday?

KatyK Fri 24-May-19 12:14:45

I agree. She did her best.

Sara65 Fri 24-May-19 12:15:34

So agree!
I was never her no 1 fan (that was my husband) but the way she’s been hounded by her own party is a disgrace

I will never ever vote Tory again, because I find their behaviour towards her unforgivable

I think we should all say, Thankyou Theresa, you did your best under impossible circumstances, sit back now and let your successor mess it up

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:18:56

So glad to see the agree-ers. smile

Flossieturner Fri 24-May-19 12:21:36

Her life would have been much easier if she had taken the cowardly way out like Cameron. I thought I was alone in supporting her. It is nice to know there are others who feel the same.

dragonfly46 Fri 24-May-19 12:22:56

Totally agree Gonegirl she is the only one still standing among the other turncoats!

Mamissimo Fri 24-May-19 12:23:43

100% with you Gonegirl. We will now see the empty vessels making an awful lot of noise until they discover for themselves that it’s a poisoned chalice. Any candidate for the role who promises anything at all by way of outcomes is an idiot because outcomes are not in their gift. All anyone could do is to try their best - and that’s what she did.

seacliff Fri 24-May-19 12:26:05

Me too. I am glad some of you also feel that way. I feel she really gave it her all. A thankless task indeed.

She ( and her husband) deserve a good relaxing holiday.

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 12:26:23

100% agree

Sara65 Fri 24-May-19 12:27:39

It most definitely is a poisoned chalice! But I think some of her would be, successors are egotistical enough to think they can succeed where she failed!
Good luck with that!

EllanVannin Fri 24-May-19 12:43:07

Like Mrs Thatcher, TM wasn't right a lot of the time with his her politics but there's never been a perfect PM to suit all the people------has there ??
However, the way that both these women were/are hounded out of their position by their own was/is totally shameful. What a treacherous bunch of bullying backstabbers.

Like TM, I have a " hard " exterior but I admit to crying for/with her on her closing speech.
If anyone deserves a long and restful life it's Theresa May, along with her lovely supportive husband. They're both worth more than the remaining gubbins at Westminster.

eazybee Fri 24-May-19 12:43:08

I am sorry to disagree with your kind post, a pleasant change from all the vitriol.
Although I supported Theresa May initially, and couldn't fail to be impressed by her hard work and commitment, she made a series of increasingly disastrous decisions, refused to listen to advice from her MPs, and acted far too frequently on her own initiative without consultation.
Sadly, her leaving of it, (the office of Prime Minister) did not become her.
The emotional ending of her resignation speech will haunt her for the rest of her life.

Sara65 Fri 24-May-19 12:47:31

I think she made her resignation speech with great dignity!
I too had a tear in my eye

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:53:04

There is nothing wrong with being emotional! Especially in circumstances like that! She is a human being don't forget. She must be absolutely exhausted.

gillybob Fri 24-May-19 12:54:48

I felt quite tearful listening to her resignation speech . I agree gonegirl she did her best in very difficult circumstances and was always on a hiding to nothing as the backstabbers ( who of course all think they could’ve done so much better ) were all out to get her from the outset .

BBbevan Fri 24-May-19 12:56:36

Great integrity and honesty. TM should be proud of herself. As someone on another thread pointed out it is those 'back stabbing little shits' who should be ashamed.
Well done Theresa , you did your best

Jabberwok Fri 24-May-19 12:58:25

No doubt people are saying horrible things but I too felt extremely sorry for TM. What a lonely forlorn figure she cut making her resignation speech. I must confess to having felt cross with her at at times, but no one can ever accuse her of any dereliction of duty or cowardice, unlike DC who landed us in this mess by, with the help of parliament, not conducting the referendum with due diligence and then capped it all, running away when it didn't go to plan, leaving the party to flounder around for a new leader asap without a proper election process. Scoundrel doesn't begin to describe that man! Like others, I hope TM and her hubby, go away for some much needed R&R, they certainly deserve it.

Alima Fri 24-May-19 13:04:55

Thank you for trying Mrs May.

Namsnanny Fri 24-May-19 13:18:38

No one is perfect, so regardless of criticism now is not the time for gleeful vitriol.

MiniMoon Fri 24-May-19 13:21:27

Since Mrs May took over from cowardly Cameron, my husband has been saying she's been handed a poisoned chalice! She has indeed tried her best. She has her faults, but so do we all. I too feel sorry for her. The lack of support from her own party is deplorable.
I wish her all the best.

Who's next, step this way.

GabriellaG54 Fri 24-May-19 13:22:47

Me too. grin

Beammeupscottie Fri 24-May-19 13:23:20

The tragedy is that, because of the all-consuming Brexit issue, we will never know if she could have been a good PM dealing with the usual run of Government matters.