Gransnet forums

News & politics

Let’s stop pretending the referendum was illegal eh?

(141 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 24-Jun-19 17:54:53

So many times, over the last 3 years, those who voted to Remain in the EU disparaged the result - with posters often asking those of us who voted Leave if we were happy knowing the voting system was rigged/illegal?

Well this today, a quote from the ex LbDem Remainer:

“Much though I understand why people want to reduce that eruption in British politics to some kind of plot or conspiracy, some use of new social media through opaque means, I’m afraid the roots to British Euroscepticism go very, very deep…”

Nick Clegg, now Facebook's head of global affairs, rubbishing the idea that the Russians delivered Brexit through hijacking the social media platform.

GillT57 Mon 24-Jun-19 18:00:30

That may well be what Nick Clegg says, and he is in a good position to know, but it doesn't detract from the fantasy and downright lies spouted by the leave side, and the complacency and arrogance of the remain side. One thing it has united the country in though is a distrust of politicians and their motives!

GrandmaJan Mon 24-Jun-19 18:01:18

It’s happened after the recent Peterborough by election. Certain MP’s and party leaders were complaining of dirty tricks. Some people are bad losers. We live in a democracy so let’s just accept the result.

janeainsworth Mon 24-Jun-19 18:05:44

Well obviously you have selectively quoted, Urmstongran, but to me what Nick Clegg seems to be saying is
1. He understands why some people want to believe in a conspiracy and that some people want to believe that social media might have been manipulated
2. Some people in Britain have been Eurosceptic for a long time

He hasn’t actually said the Russians did manipulate us all via social media.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Jun-19 18:24:15

Strange how both the USA and Russia must have been hoping for a Brexit result. Both for their own reasons.

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 18:36:27

I see no correlation between the statements in your OP and the fact the results were obtained by fraud on many levels. This was of course confirmed by the Electoral Commission - the only reason why they have not been able to cancel the Referendum, is because it was, and is, by our own Sovereign Laws : advisory only.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 24-Jun-19 18:39:10

Yes jura is correct. You are forgetting that the Electoral Commission has said that Vote Leave was fraudulent in its claims. The reason that nothing has been done is because it was advisory only.

Ironic isn’t it?

GillT57 Mon 24-Jun-19 18:56:37

Ellenvannin Putin must be thinking all his Christmases have come at once. A dope in the White House and GB leaving the EU. Marvellous.

BlueBelle Mon 24-Jun-19 18:58:59

He’s had a gift hasn’t he GillT

Urmstongran Mon 24-Jun-19 19:12:58

I know jura2 is correct about it being advisory only.
I have been paying attention (these past 3 years ...)
Go remind the HoC!!
?
Don’t keep blaming us Leave voters.
I just put a cross on a ballot paper!

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:15:10

By putting a X on a ballot paper- you put the future of the country, and that of the NHS, that of our young people -at massive risk - so yes, i will blame Leave voters - they won't be forgiven.

gangy5 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:21:34

Could remainers please not forget how George Osborne stated that if the referendum result was leave there would be an immediate recession and the CBI said that business would quickly suffer. After 3 years of abysmal administration business is now being affected - we can only blame our elected representatives for the current situation.

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:24:13

elected representatives do not act in a vacuum - they depend on their electors ... who also have to take responsibility?

Are you saying that if BoJo is elected by Conservatives, and makes a total pig's ear of the whole thing - those who elected him will not be part responsible?

GillT57 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:29:48

George Osborne is one of the chief suspects for making a complete hash of the whole referendum business, along with the chief fool Cameron. He wittered on, incoherently and without substantiation, about it costing each family in the country £4000+, a figure plucked from the air and easily dismissed by those on the Brexit side. For this I will not forgive him.

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:31:15

Well- how much has Brexit costed us so far - and we have not even left.

As for evidence re fraud - more is becoming evident all the time:

www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/new-evidence-emerges-of-steve-bannon-and-cambridge-analyticas-role-in-brexit?fbclid=IwAR1Ua_ZdGuem1VMpkJCl7BE5EO_JVHwfZiV6vGV5K5t0N-FDFZ58rzQvC9U

gangy5 Mon 24-Jun-19 19:34:39

I note Jura2 that you don't comment on the remarks made by Osborne and the CBI

Urmstongran Mon 24-Jun-19 20:12:25

Okay you can blame me then jura2
I can take it.
I’d even vote the same way again.
?

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 20:46:08

then you will take double responsibility for your choices.

lemongrove Mon 24-Jun-19 21:15:44

Oh Urmston you meany! Taking away their comfort blanket that somehow the referendum was ‘fraudulent’ ?
Both sides were full of hot air at times, but we all made our own minds up, and many had made their minds up years before.
We don’t need to ‘be forgiven’ thanks jura!

GrandmaJan Mon 24-Jun-19 21:23:01

When David Cameron drew Obama into the debate I knew how the majority would vote. A US president interfering was uncalled for and saying we would be at the back of the queue when it came to trade deals was rubbish.

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 21:53:58

Whether you need it or not, is irrelevant to our young people - they won't forgive you.

Urmstongran Mon 24-Jun-19 22:34:56

And like other posters have said - I have my bingo card ready....

jura2 Mon 24-Jun-19 22:38:15

This is exactly where we will be GrandmaJan- we are there already.

MaizieD Mon 24-Jun-19 23:09:53

Oh Urmston you meany! Taking away their comfort blanket that somehow the referendum was ‘fraudulent’

That the result was obtained through fraud and corruption is indisputable; it was admitted in court by the government's own legal representative. The failure of Leavers to own this, and the fact that it makes a mockery of the democratic process, makes me very angry, and sceptical about their judgement and moral compass. They certainly run contra to the image the British like to promote of a nation that respects fairness and playing by the rules.

Opal Mon 24-Jun-19 23:37:29

OK, so let's just imagine for a moment, that 17.4 million voters voted to remain, instead of leave. And then the leavers complained that it was illegal and wanted another referendum. Do you think for one minute that we would have got one? No, of course not. I voted leave, would do so again and do not for one minute need the "forgiveness" of remain voters. There was a referendum, the nation voted to leave, now respect the result and get on with it.