Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump, using the language of the playground again.

(108 Posts)
phoenix Tue 09-Jul-19 18:42:36

Calling one who dares to criticise him (albeit in a leaked document/telegram) "wacky" and "a very stupid guy"

Funny that he never seemed to think that of Kim Dannoch until Dannochs opinions of Trump came to light. hmm

Although it seems to be the psychiatric term of the day, Trump does seem to be exhibiting the traits of a Narcissist.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Jul-19 20:07:26

Well he'll have psychopathic traits that's for sure as most high-fliers have in every walk of life.

M0nica Tue 09-Jul-19 21:57:10

Trump is a spoilt 5 year old who never grew up. The leaking of those confidential documents is unfortunate, but since people have been saying all those things in public that the ambassador said, ever since Trump came into office, including people in the public eye, it isn't really that contentious

Anyway Trump has the memory of a goldfish. This time next week the ambassador will be his best buddy and they will be playing golf together

Iam64 Tue 09-Jul-19 22:07:56

Trump is so very ill mannered, self absorbed, thin skinned and not fit for office. His behaviour when he doesn’t get his own way, or he’s offended, reminds me of a tired, overwrought three year old. I expect him to fall to the floor and bang his head at any time. Sorry MOnica, three, not five

annodomini Tue 09-Jul-19 23:05:02

His personal abuse of the ambassador was to be expected in the circumstances, from such a completely unrestrained loud-mouth but his twitter tirade of abuse of Theresa May is inexcusable. So much for the 'special relationship' that Brexiteers have made so much of. Even those of us who don't think highly of TM as a negotiator, resent his attempted interference in our domestic politics.

maddyone Tue 09-Jul-19 23:24:27

The ‘special relationship’ is not with one person, it’s with the country, that is, if you believe we have a special relationship with America. I’m not sure we do, I think it’s always been overhyped.
Interestingly, we have just returned from America, we visited the ‘Deep South.’ It’s a very interesting area. Anyway, lots of people over there still think Trump’s the best thing since sliced bread, but we did meet some dissenters too. And they really did dislike him. So the next year should be interesting re American politics.
Putting this as politely as I can, I will say I think Trump is often not well mannered, and is certainty full of his own self importance. I do not really like the man, although of course I only know what I see through the media, as we all do, and none of us know him personally. I would absolutely hate to have to meet him, of course that will never happen, thank goodness. I thought the queen and royal family did wonderfully well to entertain him so graciously. But I do not agree with flying disgusting ballooons to demean him, let him demean himself, he does it well enough without any help.

Peonyrose Wed 10-Jul-19 07:11:00

He is a dangerous man, like a spoilt brat of 5 in charge of USA. Frightening.

LullyDully Wed 10-Jul-19 08:01:28

His speech patterns annoy me. The simple, "everyday ", inappropriate choice of words, which he then echoes.
I was very annoyed by the insulating things he said about TM. Keep your nose out man. Bad enough us running her down ( rightly so) without him putting the boot in. Playground behaviour indeed.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jul-19 08:04:34

Every time Trump opens his mouth, he confirms the UKs ambassador’s opinion.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 10-Jul-19 08:17:26

Spot on, @Whitwavemark2 !

Iam64 Wed 10-Jul-19 20:54:17

He certainly does WWM2. What a dreadful individual he is. I see the diplomats on both sides of the Atlantic are united in their support of our ex Ambassador's skills, integrity and commitment to public service.
It feels too much to hope that Boris has in any way diminished his chances of becoming leader of his party and our PM. Still, it only confirms he's untrustworthy, unethical and self serving.

Anniebach Wed 10-Jul-19 21:00:22

Ghastly man, not a scrape of dignity, vulgar, crude, repulsive.

gmarie Wed 10-Jul-19 21:35:34

I'm American and starting to feel like I should reply on all of these posts to apologize for our narcissistic, cruel, adulterous, idiotic, clueless liar and imbecile of a president! sad

Iam64 Wed 10-Jul-19 22:29:02

hello gmarie, please don’t feel you neeed to apologise. We are the Brexit Boris country, we need to apologise ?. Though your President is in a class all his own, thankfully

gmarie Wed 10-Jul-19 23:30:10

Thank you, it's just SO embarrassing to have him representing us around the world.

SueH49 Thu 11-Jul-19 00:45:51

Now that Trump has had his State visit and no doubt it was the biggest and best State visit that has ever been he will believe that he can say anything about anyone he likes. Mind you he did in any case - remember Little Rocket Man?
How arrogant to say that he told TM how to sort out Brexit and she foolishly ignored him. He obviously believes he is the leader of the whole world and we should all do as he says.

rosecarmel Thu 11-Jul-19 01:43:31

Anyone who aims to protect a fetus but not all people isn't a leader but a zealot- He doesn't represent all Americans and has made it quite clear that he doesn't- Obama was the same in that regard- Some can now afford healthcare- Those that couldn't were fined for not buying it despite the fact they made too much to qualify for Medicaid- Total slap in the face-

suziewoozie Thu 11-Jul-19 03:58:26

Obamacare was much watered down because of the Republicans utter hatred of it. Despite this, there are now many less uninsured Americans and Trump hasn’t been able to dismantle as he wished because surprise surprise Republican representatives realised it would cost them votes. Goodness knows why you had to bring Obamacare into a thread discussing the most reprehensible POTUS in the history of the USA and yes I do know about Nixon.

absent Thu 11-Jul-19 06:22:05

SueH49 The USA has always had this idea of its phenomenal and unique exceptionalism and that its President is the leader of the free world. The first is simply false and the second applies only if the rest of the free world accepts it. Mostly, we don't.

rosecarmel Thu 11-Jul-19 07:43:11

sooziewoozie, he isn't the most reprehensible- Consider the genocide and inhumane treatment of native Americans - And slavery- And the Viet Nam War-

Under Trump, some Americans will benefit- The same way some benefited under Obama- Trumps victory had much to do with the fact that many Democrats were fed up with Democrat nonsense and pomp-

And the fact that some can afford healthcare isn't enough- But it's being treated as if it is- That in itself is reprehensible-

SueH49 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:48:28

Absent, exactly.

Iam64 Thu 11-Jul-19 07:50:52

rosecarmel, you don't mention the huge increase in the separation of children from their parents at the border, the fact children of 3 are marched into Court where a Judge asks them if they understand the proceedings.
Under Trump some American's will benefit - Trump's victory had much to do with the fact the system is flawed. Hilary won the people's vote.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Jul-19 08:18:37

Trump is only two years in and a second term almost a given - God help us all.

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 08:34:54

Hear, hear Whitewaveetc !
I am constantly astounded by US citizens who applaud Trump “because he gets things done” (so did Stalin and under the Nazis the German trains ran on time)
To call Darroch “wacky” or “ a stupid guy” is not the language of diplomacy and if I may quote from Michael Deacon in today’s DT
The world’s oldest toddler has a tantrum over private – and by the way 100 per cent accurate – criticisms of his miserable regime, and what do we do? We let him push us around, like a seven-stone weakling in a Charles Atlas ad
Perhaps being a ‘vassal state’ is fine after all, as long as it’s Trump we’re paying vassalage to. Did you know incidentally, that when Boris Johnson was Mayor of London, he said Trump was ‘clearly out of his mind’, guilty of ‘stupefying ignorance’, and ‘unfit to hold the office of president’? Let’s hope Trump doesn’t find out, or he’ll make us pick another new prime minister, too

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:59:58

We have voluntarily put ourselves in such an invidious and weakened position, it is stopping us behaving like a strong sovereign state, as we need the USA. It’s pathetic.