News & politics

Is this the face of fascism?

(316 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:05:32

This from an American Ambassador

Anthony Gardner
@tonylgardner
·

Farage said that anyone in UK civil service or military who doesn’t believe in Brexit should be removed. My jaw dropped. This is outrageous. It is fascistic to apply a single issue to determine “loyalty” as if we were in a war of religion. Shame on him.

Iam64 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:07:27

Oh My! In the flood of news this week, I totally missed this piece of horror.
Farage is a danger to us all, dressed up as that chap you bump into in the bar (or outside in the smoking area) , grinning and being affable whilst making outrageous racist comments.

Elegran Thu 11-Jul-19 08:11:26

Yes, it is the face of fascism.

LullyDully Thu 11-Jul-19 08:12:31

We already have too few military personnel without looking a good half through this mad suggestion.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 08:17:42

Well they’ve started with Darroch.

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 08:38:40

Jaw-dropping!

mcem Thu 11-Jul-19 08:38:53

Thin edge of the wedge?
Trump dictating UK policy - no surprise there.
There is probably a significant number of Brexit/Bojo/Trump/Farage supporters who find this move perfectly acceptable!

sodapop Thu 11-Jul-19 08:45:55

Yes I agree Iam64 he successfully comes across as a man of the people but has some worrying ideas.

lemongrove Thu 11-Jul-19 09:01:01

Fascism, like it’s opposite, Marxism/Communism, is utterly frightening and I hope we will never see either ( in power)
Here in the UK.
Thankfully NF isn’t even an MP.

TwiceAsNice Thu 11-Jul-19 09:16:40

Nigel Farage is an obnoxious man who uses every opportunity to feather his nest and doesn’t care about anybody really, especially, it appears, our lovely soldiers who we should all be eternally grateful to. His nasty grinning deface makes me want to hit him and I’ve never been violent to anyone

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 09:54:44

I believe that Boris (the Buffoon) Johnson and others in the Tory party talking of the prorogue of Parliament to "get their way" is the modern face of fascism in Britain.

Everyone who believes in democratic rule should be very concerned .

MaizieD Thu 11-Jul-19 10:02:52

Everyone who believes in democratic rule should be very concerned

I certainly am, Grandad, very, very concerned, as I have said on other threads.

It's noticeable that no Farage fans have yet responded to this thread (though maybe they haven't bothered to open it, not associating their hero with fascism)

Just for the sake of accuracy I tried to trace the source of this statement. Apparently Farage said it on his LBC radio show yesterday.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 10:03:32

I voted Remain to keep the likes of that dangerous sod and his entourage out of Westminster ! Why didn't everyone else ? I've completely lost heart and patience with the politics of this country and I'd rather go to prison than vote ever again.

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:12:08

Yes, there would now seem to be a considerable number within the Tory Party who seem not to believe in democratic rule, and they seem to grow in number by the week.

I believe that Farage and that ever-growing number in the Tory Party is the modern day Fascist Face of Britain.

suziewoozie Thu 11-Jul-19 10:13:25

Lemon I agree - I expect you know the argument that says that the political spectrum of left to right isn’t a continuum but a circle with the far right and far left meeting at the top. As for NF not being an MP - but isn’t he more powerful than that?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:16:07

I feel as if we are in a fight for our country and at the moment moderate liberal minded folk are losing. The far right have clearly been working on this for years and their planning is all coming to fruition.

We need to save our country. But how?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:25:21

"Still under Nazi control, the Reichstag passed a new law ...making it a crime to speak out against the new government or criticise its leaders. Known as the Malicious Practices Act, the law made even the smallest expression of dissent a crime."

GracesGranMK3 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:27:04

It isn't just within the Tory Party Grandad. Many are supporters of the Brexit Party Limited - or both. It must have seemed just as innocent to some as to whether they should join the Nazi party in the 30s. Then you had to join if you wanted to keep your job if it was anything to do with the government.

I am both concerned and frightened at what we are moving towards but Brexit is just the same as a war of religion to some. They think what they believe it true and there is no room for a non-believer.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:31:50

What we need is another Brick Lane.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 10:34:04

I’m a Farage fan.
I want to get Brexit done.
These last 3 years have been frustrating.

But I don’t agree with what he has said there.

Mind you the civil service haven’t been impartial in negotiations of Brexit.

I think once we have left and we can either ‘celebrate’ or at least by some ‘move forward in resigned acceptance’ reason will return. Farage will exit stage left (job done) and negotiations continue but in a less febrile manner.

Either that or Boris will call a GE and the ballot box will determine our future.

Lessismore Thu 11-Jul-19 10:41:46

Which are the qualities you admire in NF please?

trisher Thu 11-Jul-19 10:49:48

So Boris wants to shut down parliament, might have got rid of a British Ambassador, and Farage wants to cull the military and the civil service. The far right are in ascendance. When the voice of reason is one John Major, we are living in strange and scarey times.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jul-19 10:58:15

The civil servants have been as impartial as their job requires. You have been fed lies.

Urmstongran Thu 11-Jul-19 11:01:13

Olly Robbins??

In the spirit of McEnroe at Wimbledon “you can’t be serious!”.

???

GracesGranMK3 Thu 11-Jul-19 11:06:37

"Mind you the civil service haven’t been impartial in negotiations of Brexit." (Thu 11-Jul-19 10:34:04)

... and you know this how Urmstongran