Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone have good news to share about the U.K.? ??

(340 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:13:10

Instead of gloom and doom (plenty about) how about we lift our spirits with any good news we hear to cheer us up?
?

As in today:
“THE Wall Street banking giant JP ­Morgan is about to embark on a major hiring spree in the City, despite Jamie Dimon, the chief executive, previously warning about Brexit job losses.

The growth plans stand in contrast to repeated warnings made by the bank’s boss about the effect Brexit could have on UK staff numbers”

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 13:17:28

Uh oh! This will be like a red rag to a bull to some posters
grin

EllanVannin Sun 14-Jul-19 13:18:21

Oh goody we could become the 51st state of America if Trump has his way pushing for Brexit, particularly a no deal one.

Pantglas1 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:21:26

Ha ha. You two are a caution! It’s gonna be a long rally just like Federer and Djokovic!

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:33:37

No, I’m being serious!

Can we not come together and celebrate the good stuff (it is out there) without making snide remarks?

We could at least try?

?

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 13:40:55

There are good things happening for the UK all the time,
Most of which you rarely hear about.
Employment is at an all time low ( and no, it’s not all zero hours work either.)
Our economy is doing well and we are not strike ridden like some countries.
We need to come out the other side of Brexit for anyone to concentrate on anything else though.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jul-19 13:47:54

Well, we are now in Maastricht Belgium to see the wonderful Andre Rieu orchestra tonight. We have wanted to see this famous annual concert for many years, but this is the first time we have actually made it here.

So that is good news for at least six Brits.

By the way, while we are here I am going to find the very place that John Major signed the Maastricht Treaty, and then kiss the ground at that spot in thanks for all that the European Union has done for this continent in terms of peace, wealth, justice, Equality and Commonwealth living standards since it's formation.

Wonderful.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 13:52:25

Thank you lemongrove for at least trying to get into the spirit of this thread.

Anyone else got some good news about the U.K. to share?

Most of us - it should surely be all of us in this wonderful country - would love to hear it!

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 14:03:38

Men’s Final at Wimbledon
Cricket World Cup at Lord’s
London clearly the holiday destination of thousands

Come on, cheer up!
(Although if GN is anything to go by these days, it's moan, moan, Meghan, hairdressers, Kate, toilets, restaurants, Brexit, DILs,/MILs , “organ recital” etc)
smilesmile

joannapiano Sun 14-Jul-19 14:15:43

We travelled to Wimbledon on the Tube last week, to see the tennis, and although it was absolutely rammed with people and hot, the moment we entered a carriage people offered us a seat. And smiled!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jul-19 14:20:46

Grand Prix at Silverstone this weekend.

Netball World Cup being held in Liverpool at the moment.

Just driven half way round M25 with no traffic hold-ups.

Beammeupscottie Sun 14-Jul-19 14:24:59

Inheritance Tax. It is suggested we have 5 years to sidestep taxes instead of 7.

Jabberwok Sun 14-Jul-19 15:19:43

Ladies football team, cricket? (hopefully) A Lancaster Bomber that's still flying. ( Now they ARE worth kissing the ground for) The love of my DH and, more importantly, my little spaniel!!

M0nica Sun 14-Jul-19 15:22:21

UK governments are one of the leading countries in taking global warming seriously and taking measures to reduce emissions.

I am not saying that enough is being done, just that we are doing more than almost any other country.

Johno Sun 14-Jul-19 15:26:24

When I heard Anne Widdicombe and Katie Hopkins speak at the Oxford Union, last week. They gave outstanding landmark speeches about freedom of speech and leftie liberal snowflakes out of touch with reality. From this, there seems to be a groundswell of speakers totally sideswiping the snowflakes, leftie SJWs who are literally destroying Britain. Dump PC crap. Dump this apologising every time (I dont) you say Chairman instead of chairperson.

Liz46 Sun 14-Jul-19 15:31:44

Our NHS has looked after me wonderfully well for the last two and a half years and I am very grateful. People in some other countries with the same condition are unable to afford the treatment.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jul-19 15:38:52

Lewis Hamilton has won the British Grand Prix and has now won it more times than any other driver!!!!

crystaltipps Sun 14-Jul-19 15:40:22

More head in the sand “ we are all marvellous” , now we’ve got the likes of Widdecombe and Hopkins we can get rid of all that equality nonsense.....

Johno Sun 14-Jul-19 15:48:29

crystaltipps...... I have this feeling you are being sarcastic. Am I wrong?

MawBroonsback Sun 14-Jul-19 15:52:16

In most things johno but perhaps not this time <sigh>

crystaltipps Sun 14-Jul-19 16:44:55

- the government’s doing great
- the opposition is marvellous
- MPs are worth the money
- Hugh Grant’s new film is wonderful

(thanks to Private Eye)

lemongrove Sun 14-Jul-19 16:50:01

Mawbroon grin yes, GN is becoming a moan fest isn’t it?

BlueBelle Sun 14-Jul-19 17:29:07

Johno, straight to point for me Anne Widdecombe Katie Hopkins ??
Anyway onto good things my first courgette is growing

suziewoozie Sun 14-Jul-19 17:31:09

When Hamilton lives in the UK and pays UK taxes, then his winning anything might be good.news for the UK.Until then he’s a tax exile who has turned his back on the UK.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Jul-19 18:03:45

Over half of the Formula 1 teams are based in the U.K., providing employment for many many people.

Their designs and innovations filter down to the cars we drive.

A thriving and groundbreaking industry.