Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jeffrey Epstein

(103 Posts)
Eloethan Sun 18-Aug-19 20:27:19

I got back from holiday on 8 August and assumed that there was a thread running re Jeffrey Epstein, given the huge scandal involving this man and his very high profile associates. I've looked, but I can't find one.

Is it really feasible, or believable, that Epstein - originally deemed a high suicide risk - had at his disposal the means and opportunity to hang himself. Given the sorts of powerful groups - including the British and Saudi royal families - linked to him and his child sex trafficking ring, there was a great deal of speculation preceding his death as to how long he would survive ....... and so it came to pass ....

If this story just goes away, despite the many inconsistencies relating to the manner and timing of his death, then I think we really do live in a society where the uber rich and powerful can bypass any normal principles of justice by commiting serious crimes with impunity.

gillybob Sun 18-Aug-19 20:37:56

I suspect money is changing hands as we speak ( in return for memory lapse and deleted photos ) wink

GagaJo Sun 18-Aug-19 20:41:31

Trump, air-miles Andy et al will have had him bumped off.

Day6 Sun 18-Aug-19 20:56:22

Yes, it looks very much as if the Queen's son Andrew is likely to get off the hook for his (alleged) enjoyment in the sex-slaves scandal initiated by his pal Epstein.

It does make you wonder how he was able to commit suicide when incarcerated. It's been very convenient for all those implicated, hasn't it? I am not one for conspiracy theories, so I am glad some of the women (who were young girls when the crime took place) are going to testify and let their stories be known.

Callistemon Sun 18-Aug-19 20:59:20

'Watch this space' as the saying goes, Eloethan.

This cannot be pushed under the carpet for much longer.

Eloethan Sun 18-Aug-19 21:00:24

The person who was most likely to benefit from "spilling the beans" - in terms of receiving a lighter sentence if he identified people who used his "services"- was Epstein.

Of course, the girls' statements are important and valuable but Epstein was the main risk to these people.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Aug-19 21:17:59

I have no doubts at all that he was killed I do not believe the suicide story at all and yes I m sure the likes of Trunp and others have had him silenced in the hope that his secrets die with him
Somehow the rich and famous can always wriggle out of anything

Riverwalk Sun 18-Aug-19 21:18:25

The young women involved, and their lawyers, aren't going to go away just because Epstein is dead.

I don't think the others who have been implicated/named will be too pleased that he's off the scene as the focus will now shift on to them. He's done them no favours.

gillybob Sun 18-Aug-19 21:31:19

“The likes of Trump” . What about the likes of our own rf Bluebelle ?
Deliberately lower case.

Of course we will probably never know .

Anniebach Sun 18-Aug-19 22:10:35

He died in an American jail so not ‘our society’

Callistemon Sun 18-Aug-19 23:16:14

I think society in this case is the uber-rich no matter where they are from.
The Maxwell woman has disappeared (is she on a yacht somewhere? Just a thought).

suziewoozie Sun 18-Aug-19 23:35:34

Just the photo of Andrew with his arm round the bare midriff of that young girl tells you all you need to know - I hope the Queen is proud of him - it’s absolutely disgraceful.

Beckett Mon 19-Aug-19 07:36:59

I think he knew he was going to prison for a very long time and was aware what happens to men like him, so yes I do think he committed suicide, most likely with help from those paid to look the other way.

There has to be an investigation into everyone within his circle, no matter what their social position, in order that the girls can receive some justice. There is a rumour he had a diary with full details of those involved. If this is true then I hope it is found.

Andrew is denying any knowledge of Epstein's activities, yet he still maintained his friendship with him even after he had served time.

Iam64 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:08:20

Much as I dislike conspiracy theories, it’s difficult to believe Epstein killed himself.
He had the information on his rich, famous, powerful friends that he could have used to bargain lesser sentences.
Prince Andrew, Presidents Trump and Clinton and anyone remotely involved with Epstein must have known about the exploitation And abuse of young teenage girls. By their friends , we recognise them

trisher Mon 19-Aug-19 08:37:34

It is so predictable isn't it? At the best it was negligent but most probably planned and carefully executed (sorry!) In 20 or 30 years time someone will investigate and make a film about the whole thing, by which time most of the rich people will be dead or past caring.

sodapop Mon 19-Aug-19 08:42:17

The palace has released a statement saying Prince Andrew denies involvement and finds it all abhorrent.
Conspiracy theories seem to favour a Clinton plot.

Beckett Mon 19-Aug-19 09:06:02

sodapop - yes they have but even after Epstein had been in prison for sex crimes Andrew continued with their friendship - so he would have been aware of Epstein's inclinations.

EllanVannin Mon 19-Aug-19 09:28:27

He had to be " got rid of " didn't he ?

SirChenjin Mon 19-Aug-19 10:15:21

Absolutely - he knew too much.

I wonder if that’s why Fergie is still very much in the Andrew picture?

gillybob Mon 19-Aug-19 10:25:47

I have to agree that it was just too convenient for Epstein to commit suicide in prison .

Obviously the rf will deny all knowledge and “mr airmiles” will continue to profess his innocence, but the photos and videos speak volumes .

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 10:27:50

What videos ?

gillybob Mon 19-Aug-19 10:36:17

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7367511/Prince-Andrew-pictured-inside-paedophile-Jeffrey-Epsteins-63million-mansion-depravity.html

This one Annie (hope the link works?)

trisher Mon 19-Aug-19 10:48:43

Oh I don't know I think Andrew is thick enough to think that Epstein just had a lot of very friendly young women friends. He isn't the brightest of a not very bright family!

Anniebach Mon 19-Aug-19 10:49:33

Thank you gilly, I didn’t know it was such a close friendship

Riverwalk Mon 19-Aug-19 11:24:28

Unbelievably, that video and photo of Andrew in Central Park with Epstein were taken two years after Epstein was convicted of sex with a child and placed on the sex offender register.

Andrew was supposedly on an official Trade Mission for the UK - it's one thing to catch up with an old friend, even a convicted felon, but quite another to stay at his notorious residence where at least on the day in question there were young girls seemingly coming and going.

Along with the photo of his arm around the waist of the 17 year old in London it seems that Epstein and his assistants made sure there was evidence of such meetings!