Gransnet forums

News & politics

Juncker rules out Brexit extension

(52 Posts)
AllTheLs Thu 17-Oct-19 14:36:30

If this is true, then THANK GOODNESS!!

It just might all be over and done with by 31st October, despite Parliament's best efforts to undermine their constituents' votes.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 14:39:37

Sorry to burst your bubble, but what right does he have to dictate what happens to our domestic politics?

If it were true he would be in direct contradiction to the Benn Act.

It won’t happen.

AllTheLs Thu 17-Oct-19 14:42:52

He wouldn't be in contradiction of the Benn Act, though. Only BJ could contravene it.

However Parliament are still (pathetically) trying to stop it by launching a legal bid to prevent MPs debating this in the House of Commons!! Can you believe it?

suzied Thu 17-Oct-19 14:43:56

If you think it will be all over and done with by 31st of October - you are seriously deluded. Maybe the end of the beginning but it will drag on for years...

AllTheLs Thu 17-Oct-19 14:49:26

After the last 3.25 years, the end of the beginning will do just fine.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 14:49:34

Indeed! Even if we do leave on 31 October, the process will continue until after some of us are dead.

However, before some people put their Prosecco on ice … Juncker has ruled out an extension because there has been a deal. If it's not passed by parliament, there will be no deal, so who knows what will happen.

Whitewave Juncker isn't dictating domestic politics. From the EU's perspective there is a deal. It's not up to Juncker to enforce the Benn Act.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 14:50:12

What are you hoping for AllTheLs? How will your life improve?

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 14:51:13

The beginning of what?

Grandad1943 Thu 17-Oct-19 14:56:19

It is not for Junker to decide if the EU are to grant an extension of Article fifty or not.

That decision will be made by the European Union twenty-seven member nation government leaders IF a request is made by the British government under the Benn Act.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 15:11:28

You're right, Grandad and apparently it's not what Juncker actually said. The headline is wrong. An EU source said “It’s not in his gift to rule it out, he is just defending the deal and saying one shouldn't be needed...I am 100% certain EU27 would permit an extension if deal falls on Saturday.”

Fiachna50 Thu 17-Oct-19 15:47:15

I couldn't give a toss what Juncker says, another one not fit for the job. His opinion means zero as far as Im concerned. I thought Mr Barnier was the one who mattered. Whole lot of them have delusions of grandeur.

Jabberwok Thu 17-Oct-19 15:58:43

Lets hope and pray that the EU refuses yet another extension. They are as sick of it as we are and simply cannot keep on and on listening to one bleating british politician after another banging on and on! So if that's the only way to get this deal though or leave without a deal then lets pray that they tell us to sign up or b###r off!!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 16:00:00

If this deal is voted down, the EU will allow a further extension.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 16:09:11

But … but … but I've watched the interviews with Juncker. He didn't even say what the BBC reported that he did.

growstuff Thu 17-Oct-19 16:11:05

I have a better idea Jabberwok. Let's just admit that we already have the best possible deal and call the whole thing off. I don't suppose the EU will be veryhappy about the amount of money and time which has been wasted, but they might be lenient and not send us a hefty bill.

newnanny Thu 17-Oct-19 16:54:45

I do really hope that Boris gets this deal through parliament. There is compromise from all sides but it sounds fair if the whole of the UK can do trade deals around the world including NI. EU are happy they will get full £39 billion. No checks on Irish border. Boris accepted some aspects of level playing field on workers rights, environment minimum standards, and not being able to fund UK firms. Not sure about corporation tax on businesses but got it removed form WA which is legally binding and put into future relationship which is not legally binding. If no more prolongation then it is this deal or no deal. EU will not make any more compromises so we should accept this withdrawal agreement and basis for a deal and get on with domestic agenda. This is a big improvement on May's deal which she took 3 years to negotiate. If MP's don't vote for this deal in leave constituencies then they will pay when we have GE.

varian Thu 17-Oct-19 17:10:54

There is a link here to the 64 pages of new stuff in BJ's deal, as opposed to TM's deal which runs to more than 500 pages.

www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/17/eu-leaders-gather-for-summit-as-boris-johnson-scrambles-to-get-backing-for-brexit-deal-politics-live?page=with:block-5da83fcd8f08142786c4e681

No-one should support it without reading it, but my guess is that hardly any brexiters will bother. They are happy with any old pig-in-a-poke brexit -they have learned very little in the last three and a half years.

It should never be possible for such a monumental constitutional change to be made on the basis of such abject ignorance.

Joelsnan Thu 17-Oct-19 17:57:28

varian
No-one should support it without reading it, but my guess is that hardly any brexiters will bother. They are happy with any old pig-in-a-poke brexit -they have learned very little in the last three and a half years

Who are they?

varian Thu 17-Oct-19 18:04:33

Probably many, but not all of the MPs who will support it, and, if we have a People's Vote - BJ's deal or Remain?, I also estimate more than 95% of those who chose to vote for BJ's deal will do so without having read the deal, let alone having fully understood the implications.

Leavers do not seem to be interested in facts, figures or information, only what the Express, Sun or Daily Mail tells them to do.

quizqueen Thu 17-Oct-19 18:10:35

Where's the 500 page document about the dangers of staying in the EU which Remainers would probably never read because they are superior know-it-alls!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Oct-19 18:16:06

Oh dear QQ. Sad about your choice of language.

I hasn’t realised that there is such a document

Joelsnan Thu 17-Oct-19 19:13:19

varian
Some folk have such confidence in their mind reading and clairvoyance abilities, however it is evident that this confidence is grossly misplaced.

Dinahmo Thu 17-Oct-19 19:20:08

That's easyquizqueen - there isn't one because there aren't any dangers

varian Thu 17-Oct-19 19:23:21

The news posted by the OP turns out to be fake news.

Oopsminty Thu 17-Oct-19 19:27:03

The news posted by the OP turns out to be fake news.

Well they weren't 100% sure

If this is true was in the OP's post