Gransnet forums

News & politics

Am I the only one

(239 Posts)
vena11 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:02:43

Am I the only one who is sick and tired of Brexit. I am not into politics or wanting a debate. I just want things to get back to normal

Smileless2012 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:12:19

No, you're not the only one venall. I feel the same and I'm sure we're not the only twogrin.

nannypink1 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:12:59

Yes I think we’re all heartily sick of Brexit and our parliament ...they’re a disgraceful bunch

Anniebach Sat 19-Oct-19 22:14:53

You are not the only one

vena11 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:16:01

Thank you

suziewoozie Sat 19-Oct-19 22:17:58

You are not the only one but it’ll be a long time before things get back to normal - if they ever do. I think perhaps this is the ‘new normal’ and it ain’t pretty.

annep1 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:22:32

A big yes! My husband is not allowed to mention it any longer.

vena11 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:33:20

Its just pathetic.

NotTooOld Sat 19-Oct-19 22:34:27

I'm afraid I'm addicted to all things Brexit. It's fascinating stuff. Unfortunately DH takes the opposite view! I agree with Suzie, it will be a very long time before things get back to normal and they probably never will. I expect even I will get bored with it eventually.

Hetty58 Sat 19-Oct-19 22:38:40

There is no getting back 'to normal' or getting it over with in less than a few years. I didn't think much of 'normal' anyway, though!

BlueBelle Sun 20-Oct-19 01:48:05

I am sick and tired I can no longer listen to my radio in bed as every time I switch in it’s connected to this hideous situation
I will never forgive Cameron for opening this Pandora’s box, apart from the odd moan about straight bananas I never heard much about our ‘apparent’ hatred of EU before he did that
Our country will never be the same in my lifetime and my advise to all my grandkids would be ‘get out’ and explore the world and if you find somewhere away from all this division and hatred that you feel happy with, stay there
My country is destroyed for a very long time

NfkDumpling Sun 20-Oct-19 08:51:19

Heartily sick of it all. It’s brought out the worst in so many politicians all on their individual ego trips.

suziewoozie Sun 20-Oct-19 08:57:08

It’s brought out the worst in many many people including GNers.

grapefruitpip Sun 20-Oct-19 08:57:52

Sadly, there will be no going back to normal. Look at the division on here.....a tiny example of massive polarity.

It's deparate. Cameron humming his little tune.

whywhywhy Sun 20-Oct-19 09:01:31

No you are not alone. I fell out with a "friend" due to the referendum. Its 2 years since we spoke yet we were friends for 23 years! She's a leaver and I'm remainer. I texted her yesterday, so far no word. So sad. I Hate all things bloody Brexshit! X

gmarie Sun 20-Oct-19 09:09:35

I feel similarly here in the US. We're very polarized and I can't turn on the TV or radio or even read the news anymore without feeling distressed.

Iam64 Sun 20-Oct-19 09:10:37

I'm interested in politics, voted Remain, reluctantly accepted the vote was Leave.

I agree with those who say it will be a long time before this country is back to whatever normal is. The divide seems to get wider and the levels of anger higher.

I veer between wanting a People's Vote and finding myself as worn out by it all as most others seem to be. I agree with BlueBelle's post - Cameron has a lot to answer for.

aprilrose Sun 20-Oct-19 09:25:16

My husband is not getting his dinner today. I am not sick of Brexit. I want it done. I am angry with remain minded people who cannot accept the original vote. They would have expected me to accept it had things been reversed.

I am sick of being called names by those who do not agree. This morning my husband called me " thick", " don't have a brain", "stupid" " don't understand" and all in on sentence. He is a remain minded person. Its not the first time but I don't think I will forgive him now. Since I am the main earner in our household. I find that an insult of the ultimate kind.

As for others who I am not so close to, I think I will never forgive any remain minded persons.. The bitterness I feel is running very deep, even though it remains unspoken of by me to anyone.

The pattern has been the same for three years, whether my husband or any other remain minded person. There will be no going back to any "normal" for me. I have been hurt, insulted and degraded far too many times by those who simply do not agree over this matter. It has been made a very big deal when it should have been simply done and then we would have got back t normal. Now the anger and bitterness will be around for most of my lifetime and maybe beyond I suspect. It is a focus for the divisions in our society. Those divisions, bitterness and anger are going incredibly deep. I do not think remain minded people have realised quite how deep.

yggdrasil Sun 20-Oct-19 09:35:09

The only way we can get back to normal is to revoke Article 50, and accept that any effort to leave the EU was a really bad idea.

aprilrose: "They would have expected me to accept it had things been reversed."
Farage was all ready to demand a re-run straight away if it had been as close the other way. After 3 1/2 years, the damage leaving will do has become evident.

Johnson won't have a second referendum because it is now obvious there is a much greater demand for Remain. Especially with the young people who are now of an age to vote, and the British people living and working in the EU who were disenfranchised too.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 20-Oct-19 09:38:34

You're never, ever the only one - whatever the subject matter. The media who are 'up themselves' love it though and try to force feed the rest of us. We all want to get back to normal, don't we?

Dolcelatte Sun 20-Oct-19 09:42:34

@aprilrose Brexit can be blamed for many things, but surely not your marriage problems?

And I agree with those who blame David Cameron. He should hang his head in shame at the chaos and division in the country which he has created - not only between families and friends, but it seems on the cards that the union itself may fall apart. Whatever side of the debate you are on, most people would agree that the referendum has been disastrous in that it has paralysed the country for over three years. Sadly, this 'Pandora's box' cannot now be closed and some very unpleasant forces have been unleashed.

Gonegirl Sun 20-Oct-19 09:44:19

aprilrose you mustn't think like that.

I swear to you that this Brexit/in/out thing will never be important enough to ruin your relations with your husband and with your family.

Please try to let it go. Put it all in a balloon and let it float away. Anything to stop it ruining your life like that.

flowers

Gonegirl Sun 20-Oct-19 09:46:28

I myself find it quite interesting to sit back and watch it all happening.

Interesting times.

mcem Sun 20-Oct-19 09:49:22

Concern for my family is my priority.
I'm not interested in an immediate decision as I want the right decision. If the price we have to pay for that is more grumpiness, so be it.
Voted Remain and will support any delay/move/vote/ referendum to achieve that.

annep1 Sun 20-Oct-19 09:49:25

Aprilrose ! I think it's terrible that you have been abused because of this. I remember voting Conservative in a local election some years back and my daughter rudely saying 'Well you better not tell xxxx. Her husband is a member of the Labour Party " So what!
I am continuously abused for my views on abortion.
I will continue to state my views. I won't be intimidated by bullies. People should be able to disagree in a mature manner.