Gransnet forums

News & politics

What would you do? (Trust dilemma)

(190 Posts)
Amagran Mon 21-Oct-19 15:07:43

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure which forum to post my dilemma on, so I hope it’s ok here.

The thing is, I have got someone lined up to do a job for me in the house, well actually it’s to install a new central heating system and boiler.

He seems like a really nice guy, ever-so posh and a really good laugh. He has promised me that he will get the job done quickly and has given me a really good quote for the job.

The thing is, I’ve asked around and found that he has never actually completed any job to anyone’s satisfaction, has told one lie after another and is a bit of a ladies’ man (although this last doesn’t bother me). He is apparently being investigated for fraud in one job he did. I even asked his sister what she thought and she said she wouldn’t trust him.

He has promised me that he will get the job done by 31st October or he'll die trying, but to be honest some of the things he is planning to do to cut corners seem a little bit left of the law to me. I am also a bit concerned that he has not actually signed the quote he has given me.

I would really value everyone’s opinion – do you think I should trust him and let him into my house?

Gonegirl Mon 21-Oct-19 15:09:58

Don't touch him with a barge pole! Find someone who comes with good references.

MaizieD Mon 21-Oct-19 15:10:12

No way. Get an expert...

Jane10 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:14:40

Expert? Where are they?

MawB Mon 21-Oct-19 15:15:00

Anything involving gas must be fitted by a qualified Gas Engineer (what we used to call “Corgi” qualified.)
For heavens sake listen to the word of mouth “references” you have heard and run a mile.
Do not part with a penny, but inform in writing that you will not be proceeding with this work
No need to give any reasons, you are the one who “pays the piper” or on this case, doesn’t.

Scribbles Mon 21-Oct-19 15:16:14

No way should you let this character over the threshold! Get some recommendations as to good and reliable local tradesmen via the Next Door website or ask friends and neighbours who they recommend.

Jane10 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:16:28

Note : this is in the news and politics thread... I'm not sure the OP is being quite open about the actual 'job'! grin

Sara65 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:17:32

Oh no!

You’ll live to regret it for sure.

MawB Mon 21-Oct-19 15:18:49

OP you may wish to move this to a more appropriate forum such as House and Home.
GNHQ will do it for you if you contact them..

Sara65 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:19:55

Oh I see, yes I get it now, very clever Amagran!

Scribbles Mon 21-Oct-19 15:20:43

Doh!! Thanks, Jane10, I've just "got it".?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:21:22

No No and No!!!!

Lisagran Mon 21-Oct-19 15:22:46

Is it BJ enterprises? Don’t touch them with a barge pole! grin

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 15:23:07

Well it’s not so much a matter of trust as belief. If you believe in this workman and what he tells you, then that should be enough. I would just caution though that actually what he might term as getting the job done may not really be the end of the matter. You may be stuck with years of negotiating if things don’t work out as expected. Is there anyone else you’ve got lined up as an alternative if you decide not to go ahead with this one? There might be someone who says you really don’t need a new central heating system and boiler at all or maybe you’ve been through all this with someone else who just can’t decide whether you do or not. Personally I’d stock up on sleeping bags, hot water bottles and portable heaters whatever you decide. Good luck

silverlining48 Mon 21-Oct-19 15:23:16

Ha ha, we know who you mean...no don’t trust him!

Amagran Mon 21-Oct-19 15:25:18

Thank you for your advice, but there seem to be a lot of other people who are willing to place their trust in him to do jobs for them even when they know what I have said about him in my OP.

Surely these people can't be wrong, can they?

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 15:33:18

I’m not sure you should place too much trust in numbers - it’s quite easy to fool a lot of customers a lot of the time. A majority can be wrong. It also depends on who all these people are who are willing to trust him.

grannyactivist Mon 21-Oct-19 15:38:47

Clever! grin

JenniferEccles Mon 21-Oct-19 15:41:53

Just read through your post again as if it was written by someone else.

You wouldn’t in a million years advise them to use this person would you?

There’s your answer.

suziewoozie Mon 21-Oct-19 15:43:12

Just a further point - I wonder how old some of these positive customers are? If they’re getting on a bit, they might not be too worried about how long the new central heating system and boiler might last but younger customers might have more of a vested interest in a better quality job which would last them longer

Doodledog Mon 21-Oct-19 15:47:17

It might be a good idea to get back in touch with the people who said it was a good idea, and see if they have changed their minds now that they know whether what they were telling you is really the case. The work is likely to be with you for a long time, so you need to be really sure that you are doing the right thing.

Amagran Mon 21-Oct-19 15:48:49

Great advice, everyone. Thank you! grin

absthame Mon 21-Oct-19 16:53:58

Ditch him and find another local contractor. But undertake steps to find what his local reputation is before giving him the job. Or you could approach "rogue traders" (well you never know grin ). Best of luck

MawB Mon 21-Oct-19 17:11:21

Gosh, sorry I have been so dense as to take this at face value gringrin
Glad others were more on the ball than I! ????

Urmstongran Mon 21-Oct-19 17:20:26

I thought that was really clever❗️
Then I loved the serious replies ...
?