Gransnet forums

News & politics

Considering voting Labour?

(604 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 07:57:19

Here are what Labour plans to do to help you decide whether Labour is right for you.

I will start to list their plans as they come out and add to them as they are announced.

Once the manifesto is published I will outline it in full for your perusal.

We will start with Brexit - just to get it out if the way.

Brexit

Negotiate a new deal within 3 months. (remember Labour has been talking to Brussels for 3 years)

People’s vote by May/June.

This vote will be legally binding. No ifs or buts.

Health

The NHS will never be up for sale

Universal Free prescriptions Not so expensive as it sounds. Remember approximately 90% of prescriptions are free at the point of use.

Social Welfare
free personal care for the elderly a very popular move. Funding will be announced next week.

Education.
end of university tuition fees - another popular move, that will please my grandson. He has opted to live at home and commute in order to keep his debt to a minimum. At the moment he will leave with at least £40K debt.

Tax

super rich avoiders/evaders will be targeted to ensure that they pay their fair share just as everyone else does

Consideration is being given to a financial transaction tax

Shorting, by hedge fund managers has meant that they are betting against our country and making millions - disaster capitalism. Labour proposes that these transactions should have a tax attached to them.

Employment

zero hours contracts many employers are getting vastly wealthy at their workers expense who are being exploited and effectively being paid less than the legal minimum wage level. Labour therefore proposes-

guaranteed minimum number of hours of work a week this will allow zero hours contract workers a semblance of normality and stability, and give them the chance to plan their lives.

minimum wage £10

Environment and Global Warming

Children are now growing up in our cities with reduced lung capacity due to the pollution emanating from various sources.

green new deal Labour proposes to set a target of net zero carbon by the 2030’s

Following the earthquakes
Labour will * immediately ban fracking*

Housing

Landlords are going to be encouraged to ensure there is more affordable housing. Councils and town planners are to be given more enforceable powers.

Slum landlords will be banned.

Urmstongran Fri 01-Nov-19 08:00:43

Erm, no thanks.

travelsafar Fri 01-Nov-19 08:01:20

Sounds good to me but all parties make promises. Where is the money coming from for all of this though???

Curlywhirly Fri 01-Nov-19 08:02:52

Yep, they've got my vote.

Grandad1943 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:12:25

I felt Cobyn had a good day yesterday with the launch of their election campaign. Staying away from Brexit in the main part of his speech was a useful idea and seemed to pay off when came to the news bulletins last night

On the other hand, i felt Johnson had a particularly poor day, as parading around hospitals when, in reality, the public are aware from what they have seen in the last nine years the Tories could not care less about the NHS.

There is a long way to go in this campaign but on first evidence, it is shaping up very similar to the 2017 election campaigns undertaken by both parties.

kittylester Fri 01-Nov-19 08:16:31

Promises, promises!

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:16:48

You will never convince people like Urmstongran who simply dismiss these policies with a ‘no thanks’.

Why should she support us selling off our NHS to the likes of Trump? Unless of course she has the luxury of private health insurance.

Urm I’d like an answer to that if you have one please as I fail to see your logic.

Oopsminty Fri 01-Nov-19 08:18:51

No, thank you.

He won't be able to achieve a lot of those promises. Which is fair enough. Who believes manifestos these days.

We must stop demonising the wealthy though. The top 1% do provide 27% income tax.

economia.icaew.com/news/august-2019/uk-increasingly-reliant-on-super-rich-for-tax-income

Of course we need to do more to help the poor but Corbyn's politics of envy don't sit well with me.

Being Jewish doesn't make me a fan either

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:20:02

What about the ‘promises’ by Boris which are far more costly than these? Of course we know he keeps his promises don’t we?

Do or die? Dead in a ditch? If only ....

dragonfly46 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:23:56

We are all old enough to know we have been here before. Labour make spectacular promises and never carry them out or bankrupt the country trying to do so!

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:26:21

Really? I think that the National Debt is higher today than it has ever been.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:27:34

oopsminty

Which policies of envy?

I can’t quite see what you are getting at

Whitewavemark2 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:28:21

dragonfly which policies bankrupted the country?

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:31:22

Yes, thought so. These from Office of National Statistics dragonfly . Even if it is hard to read on a tablet you can see the trend.

dragonfly46 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:33:15

I seem to remember Gordon Brown handing over a huge debt among others. I am not defending the Tories but neither party seems able to handle our money wisely.

Peonyrose Fri 01-Nov-19 08:33:43

Labours downfall is their leader. Just glad he has finally come off the wall at last. The things he proposes is what everyone wants, where the money comes from he won't worry too much about that. That's the worrying bit.

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:34:26

WW isn’t it disheartening that people, people eligible to vote, still trot out this hearsay? Does nobody check the facts?

After a decade of ‘austerity’ we are in a far worse position financially and yet these old clichés are believed and trotted out.

I honestly despair.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:35:52

I would rather not vote than vote for Labour.

The Jewish Labour Movement is not supporting the Labour Party in this election.

38% of PFI contracts awarded to Carillion were awarded by Labour.

Anniebach Fri 01-Nov-19 08:35:57

And restoring full power to the unions

Peonyrose Fri 01-Nov-19 08:36:47

The old saying Conservatists make the money, Labour waste it. Do you remember the note left when they handed over the country to conservatives, best of luck it's all gone. That really says it all, if you magaged your business like that you would be bankrupt, your home and you would lose it.

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:36:57

dragonfly his ‘huge debt’ is nothing compared to now and, if you remember, there was a world wide recession. This bunch of numpties haven’t got that excuse.

Yehbutnobut Fri 01-Nov-19 08:37:45

Peony have you even looked at the stats? No of course not.

Ginny42 Fri 01-Nov-19 08:42:35

If Labour win that's when the very wealthy will transfer even more money to overseas banks.

I thought Johnson looked very uncomfortable on his walkabout yesterday, totally out of his comfort zone. His lack of rapport with the children making pumpkin lanterns was pathetic. Corbyn would have been in there helping and chatting with them.

I say vote for the young and also with your heart. Think about our situation as we age and perhaps with greater health needs and possibly even care at some stage; consider what our finances are going to look like with a surcharge on many goods coming from outside the EU.

But mostly think of our children and grandchildren and gr grandchildren. It's their future.

There are always scare stories about the LP economics, but how are the Tories going to pay for Johnson's promises? 40 new hospitals now reduced to erm... 6. They now admit that figure was over a good number of years and the public will think it's 40 almost right away. More cons from the Conservatives.

kittylester Fri 01-Nov-19 08:43:12

The worrying thing is that all the people under 35 (?) who are suddenly registering to vote are far too young to remember the awful mess made last time a truly left wing labour government were in power!

Daisymae Fri 01-Nov-19 08:45:04

There's little chance of labour getting in in the constituency where I live. Didn't labour introduce university fees? Mines a protest vote so probably green. However this country desperately needs a change of direction. I think that the biggest stumbling block for a lot of people is the leader. Which as I have said before is problematic for both parties.