Gransnet forums

News & politics

Fact checking or fake news?

(25 Posts)
MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 09:41:45

I have just read this in the (Tory) DT and I am beginning to suspect that some of Alan Sugar’s failed “Apprentice” candidates have got a job at Conservative Central Office.
Tories’’ ‘fact-check’ Twitter stunt ‘was attempt to mislead
The Conservative Party is under fire after rebranding an official Twitter account as a fact-checking service during Tuesday’s ITV leaders’ debate.
After the Tories labelled their 
@CCHQ account FactCheckUK”, Twitter warned that any further attempts to “mislead people” during the UK election will result in action
Will Moy of the independent fact-checking charity Full Fact said: “It was an attempt to mislead voters and I think it is inappropriate
You couldn’t make it up!

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 09:47:17

We did this yesterday, Maw It just didn't have its own thread...

jura2 Thu 21-Nov-19 09:50:16

Nicky Morgan and Raab say the public 'don't give a toss' - so that's ok then.

cangran Thu 21-Nov-19 09:53:08

Such a blatant, obvious attempt to mislead voters is definitely worth its own thread!

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 09:55:10

It's on the 'Boris Johnson's lies' thread, towards the end.

SirChenjin Thu 21-Nov-19 10:12:16

There’s no rule that states you can’t start a thread about a topic if that topic has already been covered by posters veering off topic on another thread, is there confused

I agree Maw and well done to Twitter for calling them out on this. A very worrying and cynical ploy on the part of the increasing right wing Tory party.

SirChenjin Thu 21-Nov-19 10:12:30

Increasingly

Greta Thu 21-Nov-19 10:18:51

Lying toads, that's what they are. They insist that it is perfectly obvious that factcheck.uk is a conservative account yet when a journalist showed a few people in the street the site and asked them what CCHQ meant, they had no idea. So not so obvious, then?

The rebranding is yet another example of the Tory party's sinister modus operandi.

GrandmaKT Thu 21-Nov-19 10:26:32

It's disgusting. Now that there are so many false statements, statistics and downright lies on social media, we need the independent fact check sites to try to get to the truth. Such a blatant attempt to mislead the public should tell us all we need to know about the people who are steering Tory policy.

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 10:36:19

I know there's no rule about starting a thread and duplicating a topic, SirChenjin. It's just frustrating when it's already been discussed and people don't seem to have noticed...

So here is my contribution again:

Has anyone seen Emily Matliss' interview with James Cleverly?

She said:

Start

"The Conservative press office was pretending to be a fact-checking service, renaming itself with a credibility tick. You are misleading the public, you were trying to coach your propaganda as hardened fact."
"You were misleading the public. Why would you have to change it to something that says fact check if people believed you?
"You dressed up party lines as a fact check service. That's dystopian."

End

Video on here:
www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/emily-maitlis-criticises-james-cleverly-for-misleading-the-public-over-fact-check-stunt-1-6384579

MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 10:40:43

Sorry MaizieD I skimmed through the thread titles and obviously didn’t realise.

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 10:45:10

No need to apologise, Maw. I'm always a bit snappy in the morning... I should apologise to you...

Amagran Thu 21-Nov-19 10:48:15

Duplication of topics on GN threads : The Tory party election machine has no compunction about the endless repetition of lies and misleading slogans (e.g. Get Brexit Done) through any and every medium possible. Rebuttals and exposure of their lies and subterfuge therefore needs also to be publicised through every medium possible and as often as possible.

mcem Thu 21-Nov-19 11:00:46

As I watched the debate I was following comments on Twitter. I read a couple of tweets but dismissed them as I simply didn't agree with them. Soon after, I looked more closely and spotted CCHQ in a very small font.
Confirmed my own opinion of deceitful bias and I was pleased to see it picked up and outed very quickly.

MawB Thu 21-Nov-19 12:57:53

No need MaisieD mwah, mwah! ???

yggdrasil Thu 21-Nov-19 14:52:20

And today the tories have set up a website pretending to be the Labour Party Manifesto website in the hope people will read theirs instead of the right one.
Which has marvellous news for everyone earning less than £80,000, that is no-one I know!

suziewoozie Thu 21-Nov-19 15:00:11

I miss things sometimes because of the length of an all -encompassing thread. If something very specific comes up, like this issue which is frankly a disgrace( well done Twitter for calling them out) it is better to have a separate thread but I don’t know how we manage to do it. confused

grannyactivist Thu 21-Nov-19 15:06:41

ygdrassil - I just did my own ‘factchecking’ in response to your post and was disappointed to find that;
a) it’s true that the conservative dirty tricks department has done exactly as you said - it’s widely reported online
b) that the BBC is not currently reporting it on their website

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 15:25:34

They”ve now published a false Labour Manifesto.

What ever is it with this lot, I never support the Tories but I respected their integrity.

Now there is nothing to respect

Whitewavemark2 Thu 21-Nov-19 15:26:32

Oh sorry ygg ??

Sussexborn Thu 21-Nov-19 15:38:12

Any chance that there has been more meddling by Putin or someone planted to cause malicious damage! MPs may be stupid but not surely not that stupid?

MaizieD Thu 21-Nov-19 16:45:55

What has MP's stupidity got to do with this, Sussexborn?

Whoever has done it is counting on the stupidity of the electorate. Probably with perfect justification as some of them haven't shown themselves to be very bright, or as having any moral compass whatsoever.

jura2 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:05:59

Here it is - how low will they go

BEWARE The Tories have created a fake website called Labour’s 2019 manifesto (labourmanifesto.co.uk) and using it to attack Corbyn.
www.walesonline.co.uk/…/general-election-labour-man…

Hetty58 Thu 21-Nov-19 17:29:36

So it seems that you can't believe a word you hear about them!

I think the fake stuff is filling that enormous gaping hole normally occupied by bragging about all the wonderful things they've done so far!

varian Mon 25-Nov-19 10:53:16

In 2016, the pro-Brexit newspaper mantra was to accentuate the positive - all the good things that would come from leaving the EU - and eliminate the negative - all those Project Fear predictions to be rubbished.

But when your hero is a renowned liar and womaniser who once discussed having a journalist beaten up, a man under investigation over that 2016 vote, over his relationship with a woman given public money on his recommendation, over his Russian bankrollers, it becomes a little hard to find the positives. Much easier to focus on the negatives on the other side, to create a Magic Grandpa villain out of Jeremy Corbyn, the anti-Semitic Marxist, aka the terrorists' friend.

So when "Boris" makes an announcement, the initiative is the main point, for his newspaper allies: The headline incorporates positive words like "boom", and any counter view is restricted to a couple of paragraphs at the end. When "Corbyn" makes an announcement, criticism of the initiative is the main point, the headline incorporates negative words like "doom", and details of the policy are restricted to a couple of pars at the end.

So far, so obvious. Positioning is also key. Newspaper circulations are in free-fall, but everyone still sees the front pages - in shops, on television reviews, on social media. So we see a lot of Johnson and his agenda on the front pages. That way, broadcasters are 
drawn into the propaganda campaign. They may note - as Andrew Marr and Nick Robinson have this week - that Johnson is "getting the headlines he wants" - but they are still spreading the message.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/boris-johnson-general-election-media-contortion-1-6386784