Gransnet forums

News & politics

Climate change how important is it for you in this election

(83 Posts)
Tooting29 Wed 27-Nov-19 06:55:16

There has been much in the media this week about climate change and the environment. Which party do you trust on this and how much will it influence your vote

crystaltipps Wed 27-Nov-19 07:13:33

I think most/people are interested in short term policies which they see as benefiting themselves - wealthy people howling about paying more tax to help pay for decent public services for example. I bet climate change isn’t on most people’s agenda or they are in the “we are already recycling our newspapers so don’t need to do any more” mindset.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:37:13

I think a lot of us in the UK are doing “our bit”.

You have to look at other Countries to see that they are not doing enough or anything (Russia, China, USA and Brazil are just a few ).

I do not want any party to evoke “knee-jerk” policies, we need a cross party think tank/committee, to look into a
sensible and practical solution for the UK, but unless every country and human on the planet are going to do the same I cannot see the situation improving.

Our Planet has coped with many changes over millions of years, let’s hope it will cope with this one?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:49:03

Greens.

This is an existential threat, many of whom are already losing their lives, habitat and experiencing environmental erosion.

Species loss is happening at a rate never before experienced in the world.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 27-Nov-19 07:54:27

I don't think there has been a great deal in the media about climate change since the start of the election sadly.

ananimous Sun 01-Dec-19 14:17:42

Offsetting your carbon footprint is ridiculous logic for a start. Climate change is a taxation ruse for ignorant people, who ought to take a science class or two, and nothing more. Chicken licken mentality - a case of the unscrupulous/blind leading the blind. Questions: How many false nails end up in landfill every year? Why focus solely on plastic bags, which at least are useful and re-usable? Some people will pop their xmas lights on, whilst murmuring anxiously about the 'climate battle' (Yes - it's now moved on from a 'climate emergency'. Lol!) Don't worry, were due to buy up all the trees they've been growing for 5 years - aparently they weren't converting carbon dioxide for the first 5 years of growth - God help us from dumb logic!

Grany Sun 01-Dec-19 14:38:43

Labour The Green Industrial Revolution

cangran Sun 01-Dec-19 14:51:51

Although in a fairer voting system I would definitely support the Green Party, I will vote Labour as the most likely of the mainstream parties to address this crisis which should be top priority. In a leaflet from our local Tory candidate giving the six most important issues he would address, the climate emergency doesn’t even get a mention (but reducing parking charges does. Go figure!).

EllanVannin Sun 01-Dec-19 18:15:48

I can't see/envisage any change that is going to halt the carbon monoxides and other toxic particles etc. damage being done when it's vehicles that are clogging up towns and cities with their fumes.
If anything it's going to get worse and it's already been proven that it causes all kinds of illnesses in adults and particularly children, which is why there's so much asthma and lung disease.

What's the answer ? For everyone to scrap their vehicles ?

The air is putrid, even where I live near the sea and the reason I can tell is by my net curtain.

Where I have my window open in the back kitchen, the part of the net near the open part goes a dingy colour while the bit on the inside stays white. The net acts like a filter. It's not even a busy road nearby, but the muck's coming from somewhere to half of my net.

PamelaJ1 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:48:50

Well none of them really.

They pay lip service to the problem but I am not sure what we think they can do and if we really want them to do anything.

I’m beginning to turn into the Grinch who stole Christmas.
I’m finding Myself snarling in the decoration departments as people fill their ? with plastic tat. Adults just loving their advent calendars filled with 24 things they don’t want are beyond my comprehension. Instead of thinking how pretty the houses bedecked with flashing lights are I just think of the waste of energy!
Is there an asylum I can go to?

absthame Sun 01-Dec-19 22:27:00

I'm really fed up with my generation and that following one treating the issue with virtual contempt , it's almost a sort of nimbyism.

There appears to be a mindset that can be described as being as if everyone else should sacrifice, to give mankind a real future, but ” I've worked for what I've got and will not give it up for anyone. ”

And so life continues in a downward spiral. God help us all.

PamelaJ1 Mon 02-Dec-19 15:04:45

Ellen, an interesting article in the Times yesterday indicates the the air inside is very often more polluted than outside!

Absanthame. I agree.

varian Mon 02-Dec-19 15:09:57

The Liberal Democrats have achieved the most to protect the environment and halt global warming, both in local government and in national government. Ed Davey was the best Minister fot the Environment we've had.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 15:43:39

It's important to me of course, but not in this election.

The UN themselves are now advocating major. and fast, changes,so it will be taken care of whoever is in power here.

(Thank you Greta. Owe you so much little one.)

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 16:12:58

How important is climate change matter to me? It should be top of the agenda, also second third etc to last.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Mind you since not one party has a measured thought through, balanced and practical plan which has been carefully costed, it is not surprising that they are avoiding the issue.

What's Greta done? Currently making a big show of travelling by sail, while the crews that accompany her fly to and fro by plane. The rsult is more emissions from flying than if she had just gone and caught a plane herself.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 16:29:58

She has focussed a lot of attention. Things weren't getting done before.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 16:31:26

The people whose boat Greta is on at the moment go everywhere on their boat - him, her, and the baby. smile

MaizieD Mon 02-Dec-19 16:49:10

Nothing 'green' will happen in the UK unless we get the tories out of government. So that's a priority for me.

Despite MOnica's disdain, at least the other parties have had a stab at proposing thoughtful measures to combat climate change.

Gonegirl Mon 02-Dec-19 16:51:18

This government were starting the Citizens' Assemblies, before the election came along.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:55:14

It's important to me of course, but not in this election.

Just how much of the world would you like to be destroyed before it is the most important thing for you Gonegirl

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 16:56:39

Have they? the best that most of them have come up with is lots of windfarms. Windfarms are not an energy policy, merely part of a much more essential comprehensive mix of energy sources that will be needed to meet our growing energy deman 24/7.

I am not knocking windfarms, DH is making a good retirement income out of installing them, but talking wind all the time is like considering you have built a house once the wall are complete.

WeekendVisit Mon 02-Dec-19 16:56:46

It's probably fourth most important to me. I do my bit. The main resolution is going to be with business and governments.

I don't trust any political party, even the Green party is too much into the time wasting people of privilege feeling righteous - hand wringing - identity politics - intersection - top trumps nonsense instead.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:57:21

Agree with you M0nica. It's top but I expect it to be in every other thing we do too.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 16:58:52

Gonegirl. They had to fly in an extra crew member to do the Atlantic crossing at this time of year. Said crew member will no doubt have to be flown back to Britain afterwards.

Greenwash.

varian Mon 02-Dec-19 18:27:23

MaizieD posts

Nothing 'green' will happen in the UK unless we get the tories out of government. So that's a priority for me.

I agree, but would add STOP BREXIT. Leaving the EU would be damaging in so many ways, not least the absurd notion that we should trade less with our nearest neighbours and more with countries on the other side of the world.