Gransnet forums

News & politics

Everything is wrong in this country

(338 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:22:06

Everywhere you look and everything you read.

Health service imploding
Poverty levels retreating to Dickensian levels
Mortality rates increasing
Life expectancy decreasing
Food banks
Social care crises
Public services like libraries, grass cutting, weeds on verges, potholes.
Housing crises
Cuts in education, schools struggling
Academies failing
Students with huge debt
Corruption in our political class
Public broadcaster under severe criticism for bias
Media concentration threatens the public interest and our democracy
Police struggling because of cuts. Leave cancelled and overtime compelled to fill gaps.
Military funding at an all time low.
Prison service under severe pressure because of cuts
Welfare cut to the bone squeezing the poor to 1930’s style welfare support.
Transport almost at developing country levels
Hate crimes at a record high
Racism increasing

We are one of the richest countries in the world.

Hetty58 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:26:09

But people still vote for lower taxes and cuts in services! Do they regret it when they actually need some help - when it's far too late to change their minds?

Gaunt47 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:30:30

Everything wrong with the country? No, most definitely not IMO. All you have done WWM2 is to list (mostly) things that have always been under threat, and there's nothing new there that I can see. I beg you for your own sake to find a sense of proportion!

mcem Tue 03-Dec-19 08:32:01

Posters on GN and out there in RL accept all of this and continue to support a government which will perpetuate the problems. Why?

eazybee Tue 03-Dec-19 08:32:59

I suggest you read Bleak House before you talk about poverty at Dickensian levels, or Mayhew's London

Davida1968 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:35:14

Just look at the USA, if you want to see a country which is really in trouble.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:38:51

The fact that there is nothing new tells you all you need to know. It isn’t being tackled it is becoming or become endemic.

The Tories have ensured that the public sphere has degenerated until we have vast private wealth but public squalor.

When I see the sort of poverty that I watched last night on Despatches it is hard to have a sense of proportion
When I see the waiting lists growing exponentially for treatment by the NHS, it is hard to have a sense if proportion
When I listen to the corruption and lies carried out by our prime minister it is hard to have a sense of proportion.

Don’t belittle what is happening to our country. It is a disaster, evil and corrupt.

Gaunt47 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:48:46

Having a sense of proportion is entirely different from complacency, which it seems we are being accused of. Rather it is the intelligence to realise that so much that is wrong in this world, and we can all find examples, is simply because we're human.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:50:57

Not the world gaunt it is this country. We have it in ours hands to reverse so much.

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Dec-19 08:51:39

What on earth are you going to do with your time after the GE is over Whitewavemark2 ?

I guess though your incessant threads will continue, bleating on about the wicked government, and how dreadful it is that your views were thankfully not held by the majority.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 03-Dec-19 08:59:12

WWMK2, the UK is still one of the best Countries in the world to live.

Anniebach Tue 03-Dec-19 09:00:01

It would all be so different if the vote of no confidence in
Corbyn by the majority of labour MP’s had been respected.

GrannyLaine Tue 03-Dec-19 09:06:19

WWMK2 I feel for you. Is there any joy in your life whatsoever?

GranE Tue 03-Dec-19 09:20:04

Good list Whitewavemark2, as ever.

It is so sad that the only response from some posters to such a list, is just to attack the OP. What is the point?? Why make it personal? Why not refute the post with logical argument and evidence or with a respectful statement which indicates disagreement? Other posters have managed to do that.

Nico97 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:27:05

Everything that is currently wrong in this country (and there's still a lot that's right) is down not just to the Tories but the government before that, and the one before that, and before that etc etc..... In other words, it's been going on for decades now regardless of which party is in control.

Luckygirl Tue 03-Dec-19 09:27:29

The UK is one of the best countries to live in for those who have money; who don't need social housing; who have never fallen on hard times and need benefits; who are not having to deal with the mental health problems of pupils in distress because of the pressures of the rigid education system; who have not see a loved one assassinated because the prison/parole service is on its knees; who do not have a relative with long term illness; who have never had to try and access social care; and the rest.

It is easy to have a sense of proportion when you are on the right side of the line that divides our country.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:35:08

nico look at any graph, and you will understand that whilst successive governments have struggled the last 10 years have seen a rise in every indices has risen exponentially since the Tories came to power.

Chestnut Tue 03-Dec-19 09:39:36

WWM2 - many of those issues you mention were caused by your precious Labour government with their open door immigration policy. During their watch we had a massive influx of people enter the country which put huge pressure on our infrastructure, schools, hospitals, housing, transport etc. Then we had years of austerity because of the financial mess they left us in, just at a time when our infrastructure needed more investment (due to the many more people we were trying to accommodate). We are still trying to catch up, which is why we have such dire housing problems, oversubscribed schools and overloaded hospitals. I'm not sure we will ever be able to build enough houses, hospitals and schools to keep up with the ever growing population.

anniezzz09 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:39:42

Luckygirl I was about to write a post in support of Whitewave but you've said it for me. It seems to me that the problem is how divided we have become economically and poltically plus the lies and misinformation that the tabloids spread which is simply allowed.

Apart from the deluded and misinformed in communities devastated by Tory austerity policies, though they think it's the EU, poor them when they find out the truth....I have never met a Tory voter who wasn't living a nice little life in a comfortable house, inherited money from the family (gained from property price inflation) funding a second home in Europe, children/grandchilden in private schools, probably a private or professional pension, shops in Waitrose, has several cars, holidays overseas, income never a problem. Who wouldn't think the UK was a great place to live. Sickening frankly, there are plenty of these where I live, it's hard not to say anything but they are so self righteous, I just close my ears and try not to associate with them.

DoraMarr Tue 03-Dec-19 09:42:00

But we can change. THe NHS was established while we were still rebuilding after the war what a positive thing that was. Whichever government gets in, if enough of us speak up we can change policies, and we can certainly do our bit to heal divisions and re-establish respect for those we may not always agree with.

anniezzz09 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:42:47

Chestnut seems to me that that massive influx of people has ended up working in our hospitals, care homes, agriculture and all manner of service type jobs and doing those jobs with good grace and hard work. How will those posts be filled now?

DoraMarr Tue 03-Dec-19 09:42:50

Sorry missed : after “the war”

Chewbacca Tue 03-Dec-19 09:43:34

Genuine question.... if the UK is such a shit hole; why do so many people, from all over the world, risks their lives trying to get here to live?

JenniferEccles Tue 03-Dec-19 09:46:16

It’s extraordinary isn’t it GrannyLaine ? What a sad person she sounds.

Day after day for months now this same poster spouts the same old anti Tory rhetoric.

Yes this country isn’t perfect but there are enormous opportunities to have a great life here. We all know this is true.

Those unfortunate enough to be ill or disabled are helped by the welfare state and then encouraged to return to work.

I am sure I am not alone in saying I hate the constant knocking of our great country on here.

Pantglas2 Tue 03-Dec-19 09:47:04

The unemployed anniezzz09?