Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can the Tories be proud of their leader? *Title edited by GNHQ*

(323 Posts)
MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:12:51

So today Johnson refused to look at footage of a 4 year old boy being treated on the floor of a Leeds A&E, even pocketing the phone of the journalist trying to show it to him.

Where is this man’s common decency?
Where is his humanity?
When will he realise the buck stops with him ?

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:13:28

OF their leader

Baggs Mon 09-Dec-19 18:16:30

Actually, he did look, twice, if what I've seen of this ridiculous trap was correct, and expressed sympathy. The journalist was just trying ridiculous emotive tactics, not really journalism.

More people need to read "Against empathy" by Paul Bloom. Seriously. It's not what you think. Check it out.

MaizieD Mon 09-Dec-19 18:17:07

Oh, come on, Maw... grin

Cherrytree59 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:19:21

How can the Labour or Liberals be proud of their leaders?

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 18:20:51

Boris retrieved the mobile and did inspect the picture.
'It's a terrible, terrible photo. And I apologise obviously to the families and all those who have terrible experiences in the NHS,' he said.

At the end of the interview, Mr Johnson said: 'I'm sorry to have taken your phone. There you go.'

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 18:21:09

Do we have to read books to understand empathy? Isn't it instinctive?

Anniebach Mon 09-Dec-19 18:21:39

The mother of the child has asked her son not be used for politics

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:22:26

news.google.com/articles/CBMimgFodHRwczovL3d3dy5zY290c21hbi5jb20vbmV3cy9wb2xpdGljcy9oZWFydGxlc3MtYm9yaXMtam9obnNvbi10YWtlcy1yZXBvcnRlci1zLXBob25lLWFmdGVyLXJlZnVzaW5nLXRvLWxvb2stYXQtcGhvdG8tb2YtY2hpbGQtb24taG9zcGl0YWwtZmxvb3ItMS01MDU5NDI40gGeAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNjb3RzbWFuLmNvbS9uZXdzL3BvbGl0aWNzL2hlYXJ0bGVzcy1ib3Jpcy1qb2huc29uLXRha2VzLXJlcG9ydGVyLXMtcGhvbmUtYWZ0ZXItcmVmdXNpbmctdG8tbG9vay1hdC1waG90by1vZi1jaGlsZC1vbi1ob3NwaXRhbC1mbG9vci0xLTUwNTk0MjgvYW1w?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen
Eventually Urmstongran - but not his first reaction.
Baggs look at the footage.

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:24:27

Anniebach presumably in the same way that Johnson and the Tory election campaign were asked not to capitalise on the shocking stabbings at Fishmongers Hall. hmm As if.

Baggs Mon 09-Dec-19 18:24:37

labaik, at a certain level it might be instinctive but Bloom's argument is that it is used as a weapon (as in thr case in question) for purposes that are not useful to society and that a more rational approach to whatever the problem is is much more to the purpose.

Philosophy innit. It is a very good read.

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:26:22

What is rational as opposed to “head in the sand” packeting a phone or putting his hands over his ears and saying “la, la, la, I can’t hear you”.

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:27:04

“Pocketing” wretched predictive text.

varian Mon 09-Dec-19 18:27:14

Boris Johnson's instinct is not a normal empathetic instinct. His instinct is to do what he thinks will be good for Boris Johnson. He is not a normal human being.

I know good folk who have always voted Conservative. They have standards, they are honest, they are, at least to some extent, considerate and compassionate, so I cannot work out how they could ever vote for this lying, immoral charlatan.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:31:21

Same here Varian.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 18:34:10

Many of them aren't. It's reassuring how many Conservatives can no longer stomach what their party has turned into.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 18:34:10

Hmm.
I’m a little cynical here.

A oxygen mask on the floor, no health care professional would do that.

What mother wouldn't have the child in their arms if no bed?

Remember the picture of Corbyn on the rail coach floor without a seat??

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 18:35:46

So you're saying that people aren't having to wait in hospital corridors for hours waiting to be treated?

paintingthetownred Mon 09-Dec-19 18:37:52

In a democratic process - there is no way that any responsible person would take a mobile phone off a journalist who is reporting on the matter.

And yes, journalists ARE part of our democratic system. They have a job to do.

And thank you those Conservatives like varian who speak their truth.

by the way, I am not a member of any political party, my username was at first intended to be a joke, at myself, because as a single mum I get zilch opportunities to 'paint the town red' I wish...but I will be voting Labour. Only way at present to show compassion to those who need it most.

all best
painting

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 18:38:35

Sending Matthew Hancock in to apologise and say all the right things which Johnson should have said himself instinctively, reminds me of the man with the spade sent to shovel up the shit after the horses have gone by.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:39:21

Urmston- you are really falling below the low of the low here. Sick.

Baggs Mon 09-Dec-19 18:44:15

He gave it back. With an apology and saying it was terrible, which it is. I don't think many people would cope well with that kind of confrontational "journalism".

Besides, there have always been horror stories in the NHS. As there would be in any organisation of that size. .this is not to excuse them, just to accept that big organisations are hard to run even with the best will in the world.

My own mother suffered at least two excrutiating (literally) bad experiences at the hands of the NHS, in 1954 and 1958.

Urmstongran Mon 09-Dec-19 18:46:06

And apparently Labour activists were paying for taxis so that people could turn up at Leeds Infirmary to harangue Hancock.

Now THAT’s sick!

And when Labour were in power patients were waiting in corridors on gurneys waiting for a hospital bed - it’s nothing new, sadly.

Labour negotiated the Agenda for Change - terms and conditions for general practitioners were hugely generous.

On call stopped. Ditto home visits. People who were unfortunate enough to become ill outside ‘office hours’ began to stream into A&E. Hospitals could not cope with the deluge.

Yes, it needs tackling at root and branch.

inkcog Mon 09-Dec-19 18:47:13

so BJ to one side, do you believe it was a set up? Are people actually suffering because the NHS is on its knees?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 18:48:08

What Johnson hasn’t told us.

lowdownnhs.info/hospitals/the-infamous-promise-by-prime-minister-boris-johnson/