Gransnet forums

News & politics

Jo Swinson

(220 Posts)
TiggyW Mon 09-Dec-19 22:53:17

This will probably put the cat amongst the pigeons, but here goes!confused
The more I see Jo Swinson on TV, the more I think why does she want such a high profile job when she has two young children at home who must hardly ever see her?
I’m not saying she shouldn’t have a career, I just wonder why she doesn’t want to be with her family. She could have a high-powered career when her children are older. I don’t see the point in having children and then missing their important early years.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 22:56:37

Maybe she just feels passionately about making this country a better place for them and finds herself in a position where she can help to achieve that....

Galaxy Mon 09-Dec-19 22:56:50

Blair had young children, Obama had young children, did you ask the same question of them,?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Dec-19 22:58:45

The good thing for Swinson is that she probably has a choice. Many mothers don’t.

lemongrove Mon 09-Dec-19 23:02:10

No I don’t see the point either Tiggy although many women do this, not because they need the money, but because they love the job too much to leave it for a while.
Those early years with the children are precious though, and nobody on their deathbed ever said ‘ I wish I had spent more time at the office!’
On another note entirely, I wonder is she has a whole wardrobe of dresses in very bright colours, all plain ones,
A bit like the wedding outfits Nichola Sturgeon wears all the time.

TiggyW Mon 09-Dec-19 23:04:58

Galaxy
I firmly believe that young children need both parents, but especially their Mums.

MissAdventure Mon 09-Dec-19 23:07:00

I agree with whitewave.
A choice would be nice.

Labaik Mon 09-Dec-19 23:29:47

Strange that most male MP's have a wardrobe of plain suits but nobody comments on that....

MawB Mon 09-Dec-19 23:40:19

I’m not saying she shouldn’t have a career, I just wonder why she doesn’t want to be with her family. She could have a high-powered career when her children are older. I don’t see the point in having children and then missing their important early years
I can’t believe I am reading this in the 21st century.
Does anybody ask a man these questions?
Does anybody wonder why any of our male political or religious leaders want a high-powered career?
Or any of our women surgeons/ doctors/ scientists/teachers/ famous names such as Helen Sharman/Marie Curie - need I go on?

Hetty58 Mon 09-Dec-19 23:55:04

TiggyW, plenty of mothers work full time. They see their children early and late in the day and at weekends. Very few have the luxury of staying at home with them.

I did stay at home when they were little and we managed on one wage. That was way back in the 1980s though. Times are very different now!

Doodledog Mon 09-Dec-19 23:59:13

Well said, MawB.

I am speechless at the audacity of the question, so thank you for saying what I think.

M0nica Tue 10-Dec-19 00:14:26

Staying at home costs money and our whole economy is priced on there being two workers in every household.

Specifically, Jo Swinson has been very busy for the weeks of the election but I would think that busy though her job is, it has a flexibility that other jobs do not have. Parliament is about to take its Christmas break, I am sure she will have a holiday with her family over Christmas.

It is almost impossible to have a high-flying career, if you take a baby break.

TiggyW Tue 10-Dec-19 00:32:54

Hetty58
I also took time off work in the 80s to have children. I’m not sure that times are any harder now than they were then. I do think there was less to spend money on, e.g. no mobile phones, fewer luxuries in general. We shared a car and didn’t go abroad on holiday.
MawB
I was a teacher - before my children were born and from when they started school. I don’t agree that a career is more important than children. If so, why have a family?

TiggyW Tue 10-Dec-19 00:58:53

It’s such a shame that a woman’s role as a mother is so under-valued. Just four precious years!!

crystaltipps Tue 10-Dec-19 05:25:36

My MP was 9 months pregnant when the election was called. Now I’ve seen her campaigning with a newborn in a baby sling.

yggdrasil Tue 10-Dec-19 09:01:15

Tiggy W: why didn't your man think his children more important than his career?

And on an MPs salary, Jo Swinson can afford full time care for her children. Having a high-powered career after a break to look after children is very difficult.
Which probably answers my first question

GrannyGravy13 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:04:53

I think her dresses and tops are mostly from Boden.

Hetty58 Tue 10-Dec-19 09:22:09

My daughter and her husband both work part time, which seems ideal. One looks after the baby while the other works. Staying at home for long leaves you in need of retraining, updating or a career change. Many women return to work in a lower paid job.

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 09:38:45

Are you as concerned about male politicians doing the same? Only, I can’t see any other posts by you on the that subject?

Callistemon Tue 10-Dec-19 09:51:54

I'm more concerned to read just now that her family company received €4 million in EU grants and that she failed to declare this conflict of interest to the H of C.
hmm

Too late now, my postal vote has gone!!

SirChenjin Tue 10-Dec-19 10:00:59

Anyone interested in reading an unbiased account of the story about Jo Swinson’s husband can view it here www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/blogs-trending-50160148

leyburn Tue 10-Dec-19 10:06:29

How can anyone even consider voting for a party whose prime policy is to ignore democracy??

Luckygirl Tue 10-Dec-19 10:07:55

I do not think that a woman should be criticised for her choices about family/career. I personally would not want to have missed out on the early years at home with my little ones - but that is MY choice and not relevant to anyone else's.

Having said all that I do think Swinson is a bit of a wet fish and has done the Lib Dems no favours.

growstuff Tue 10-Dec-19 10:08:08

I'm afraid you've just jumped on the spreading fake news bandwagon Callistemon.

MaizieD Tue 10-Dec-19 10:11:29

Blimey, we've been over the 'Jo Swinson's husband makes a fortune from EU money' story before, in some detail. With rebuttals and proof that it is false. Did you not see it then, Callistomen?