(20 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 10-Dec-19 12:23:22

What is a woman?
Jo Swinson has trouble answering.

https://youtu.be/URvIvX2DoFs

FarNorth Tue 10-Dec-19 12:24:02

youtu.be/URvIvX2DoFs

Gonegirl Tue 10-Dec-19 13:16:01

Oh FFS! You're a woman if you have a vagina and not a penis.

World's gone mad.

lemongrove Tue 10-Dec-19 13:49:09

She is trying to not annoy the trans lobby!
With the result that she annoys all women in the UK.
Being allowed to self identify is a major mistake.

SueDonim Tue 10-Dec-19 14:01:23

Jo Swinson is struggling there, isn’t she! Julie Bindell has a good take down of her in a column today.

Jane43 Tue 10-Dec-19 15:26:51

She handled that question very badly. I wish somebody would take her aside and tell her not to say “y’know” so often. It was particularly evident in that response but she does it all the time, it is very annoying and detracts from what she has to say.

grannysyb Tue 10-Dec-19 15:28:16

Won't be voting Libdem, really annoyed about this.

garnet25 Tue 10-Dec-19 16:54:06

Her stance on this has lost her my vote.

FarNorth Tue 10-Dec-19 17:29:25

This isn't only about the LibDems.
Labour, SNP and Greens all have self-id of sex in their manifestos.
Conservatives don't, but they were the ones who introduced it into parliament last year, so we can't assume anything about their stance on it.

NotTooOld Tue 10-Dec-19 17:52:28

Yes, the world has definitely gone totally mad. I can't be doing with all this transgender business. I wasn't voting LibDem anyway but if I was I wouldn't be now.

SalsaQueen Tue 10-Dec-19 18:18:59

A woman is whatever the chromosomes dictate. No amount of surgery can alter that.

Bridgeit Tue 10-Dec-19 20:05:05

I am not surprised she had trouble answering.
In our efforts to ensure equality for all, we are in danger of the complete opposite where fear of mis- gendering, mis - titling each other etc has or will become a crime , which will cause far more division, fear, & separation than any unintentional insult or perceived disrespect . Does it all have to be so serious ?unless one is unequivocally insulted why not Live & let live !

Bridgeit Tue 10-Dec-19 20:07:08

There are definitely days when I am sure I am a hamster on that wheel that never stops turning ?

varian Tue 10-Dec-19 20:18:04

It may be easy to poo-poo this notion that not everone is happy with the gender they were allocated at birth.

Obviously most of us are, but I would like to ask the critics - have you ever met a transexual?

This small minority of people need to have their human rights protected as we all do.

Bridgeit Tue 10-Dec-19 20:19:11

Yes .

Bridgeit Tue 10-Dec-19 20:19:43

I am not a critic, quite the reverse

FarNorth Tue 10-Dec-19 21:25:27

varian, do you think self-identification of sex is the way to go?
If so, how would you also protect women's rights to safety and privacy?

Galaxy Tue 10-Dec-19 21:54:23

Yes varian I spent most of my twenties getting drunk with transsexuals thanks for asking.
Could you explain what you mean by allocated gender at birth. I have had 2 children . Their sex was observed at birth so not sure what you are referring to.

blondenana Tue 10-Dec-19 21:57:27

A woman is a woman, a man is a man, full stop, sick of hearing about all thia trans stuff it has gone too far

FarNorth Thu 12-Dec-19 02:11:29

Women in all the main political parties are getting organised to resist self-id.

Women across the political divide are united in their defence of women’s sex-based rights. These rights were fought for and won by generations of women who claimed our right to vote, to equal pay and to equal protection.

morningstaronline.co.uk/article/f/sex-based-rights-election-issue?fbclid=IwAR28D5FG8vpYXRqqE1LIkn8tm1WGC9smryNpTb5ZNODjMFbNX0YDy8Z-Wps