Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anxiety

(98 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 07:59:35

I believe SO much in my party and feel that this particular election is so important, that I'm feeling quite anxious today.

I haven't had an easy life by any stretch of the imagination and have faced things that would have wiped others out. But this election, this time, is so important to me, that I'm worried that IF my party doesn't get it, that I'm going to have an emotional low afterwards.

Urgh.
(deliberately non-partisan btw)

Riverwalk Thu 12-Dec-19 08:10:31

I expect most of us will be feeling some anxiety regardless of the outcome as so much is at stake.

This is the third GE in four years and there's been so much uncertainty, not to say political vitriol, since the Brexit vote it's no wonder many people are anxious.

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 08:14:47

I don't think it's that Riverwalk. I've always voted. I think women should because we haven't always had that right.

But I really believe this time. In the past, it's just been politics. This time it's a lot more personal for me.

travelsafar Thu 12-Dec-19 08:17:21

I feel the same, i really dont know who to vote for, i dont want to waste my vote but am fearful for the future of our country.

QuaintIrene Thu 12-Dec-19 08:18:13

It’s been different this time, that’s for sure.
Some people’s anxiety through the roof, falling out, false news.
Sheesh.
In a way I will be glad when it’s over. You aren’t on your own GagaJo I hope my Party wins, too. But I don’t care for the helmsman.
Urgh.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Dec-19 08:18:47

All we can do, as individuals, is to vote for what we believe in. The outcome will be determined by others. Yes, it's vitally important, but once I've voted I won't feel anxious. I'll just get on with my day!

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 08:20:00

As a teacher, my vote was an easy one. I JUST want my students to have a better chance in life. The thought of years of worsening deprivation for them kills me. Some have nothing already.

Wish we could fast-forward to next week.

ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 08:25:45

DH and I were discussing this yesterday evening. I too feel very anxious whatever the result. I don’t believe this election will necessarily solve the huge split in the country. Whatever happens there is hardly likely to be a landslide victory and I’m very much much afraid very little will be resolved.

In this case it seems like a no win situation. I’m dreading waking up tomorrow morning. GagaJo, you are not alone

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 08:27:02

That helps a little Ayse. Thank you.

Anniebach Thu 12-Dec-19 08:31:42

Same for me ayse, I fear the result regardless of who has the keys of No.10.

GracesGranMK3 Thu 12-Dec-19 08:34:51

The cynicism in me thought about starting a 'Happy Dogs at Polling Stations Day' thread but I think this is much better to support all those feeling, as I do too, the insecurity of everything.

Fires still burn close to my son's home in Sydney affecting the air conditions and floods will be a feature of next year somewhere in the world. And then our divided country and what feels to me to be the most divided the world has been in my lifetime.

I am sure someone will come on and try and tell us how we should feel but I am just glad to know I am not alone.

MaizieD Thu 12-Dec-19 08:44:33

I feel very much the same. I remember the dreadful feeling of despair I carried round for days and days after the 2016 ref and the thought of going through that again is daunting.

Curlywhirly Thu 12-Dec-19 08:59:10

Of course I would love it if the party I support does get elected, but, I would also be apprehensive, as this country is so divided: far right-wing, far left-wing, leaver, remainer, rich, poor; what a mess to try to sort out. I don't envy which ever party gets elected, they will certainly have a job on their hands.

QuaintIrene Thu 12-Dec-19 09:06:30

Oh, Australia is on fire. That’s what my friend says. Her son messaged her to say he is ok. He lives in Sydney, too. Thousands of Koala colonies wiped out. Fire service at breaking point.
There are always people worse off, true but this year has been awful.
Donald Trump might be impeached and sent to prison some say. I bet he won’t, though.
Despondent. That is how I feel.

DoraMarr Thu 12-Dec-19 09:15:09

I think the thing to do is to keep on keeping on. If my party doesn’t win, I’m going to be even more determined to support it and to speak out against unfairness and lies.

lemongrove Thu 12-Dec-19 09:26:29

The great thing is that if the Party you don’t support gets into power, in five years (or less, if they change that rule) they could be out again.
Democracy is a wonderful thing.
There is more riding on this GE than in previous years, so understandably more anxiety about the results.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:29:47

Yes, Gaga, I feel anxious, quite sick actually- in a way I've never felt before. But I will admit it, knowing that some caring grans here will just say 'get a grip Jura- it's just an election' - but most of us know it is a lot more than that- and will affect this wonderful country for a very very long time.

GagaJo Thu 12-Dec-19 09:32:08

EXACTLY, jura2. I look at my grandson and I'm frightened. We have a LOVELY country with so much potential. In theory, I can't think of anywhere better for him to grow up. But I'm a teacher. Schools are AWFUL now. He was ill a couple of weeks ago. A&E was a war zone.

ayse Thu 12-Dec-19 09:35:25

Talking to my neighbour earlier. Her husband is currently in Sydney and the air quality’s is dire although she says the fires are under control just now. DD2 is very happy to have left OZ as she and her eldest have asthma. Poor them.

It looks that a number of us are anxious this morning whatever our politics. Surely it shouldn’t be like this over an election? I’ve never felt like this before

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:38:40

GC all go to very select private schools, and are covered by private health care- and our DDs and their families can move wherever they want as they have dual nationality. Our own pocket and theirs could be hard hit - but I feel you have to do the right thing to aim for good education and health care for all children, irrespective of the success of your parents.

Kids born in strong families with support in 100s and more ways- are so privileged- equality never exists - and to some extent that is ok- but good education and healthcare must be available for all.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:39:20

GCs and all our nephews and nieces.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:49:11

jura2, quite right. I'm a retired teacher too and I don't want my GC living in such an uncaring, divided society - with a failing safety net. We are comfortably off, but won't be around forever to protect them.

jura2 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:59:25

Hetty, my kids, and by default, my GCs- are much much better off than we are, and don't need protecting.

Equality is a strange concept - we are all born different- those born in good health, with a good brain, and parents who are 'comfortable' (and more), and who care for them and do their best by them - are already so far ahead.

I would never work to try and somehow stop this- inequality is a fact of life. What is wrong is to then not care, and just say, as so many do 'ah well, I'm alright Jack...kids in great private schools, kids with great private healthcare- worked hard- so there'.

Listen to those

www.facebook.com/JeremyCorbynMP/videos/2458741067733642/

Urmstongran Thu 12-Dec-19 10:06:06

Today is knitted up with Brexit so it’s an election on steroids.
What will be, will be.

QuaintIrene Thu 12-Dec-19 10:12:11

I am sick of Brexit.