Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trumps congratulations to Boris

(9 Posts)
Davidhs Sat 14-Dec-19 07:51:33

Seeing Donald on TV he is sure UK is desperate to get a free trade deal with the US and he sees the election victory as a “harbinger” of a close relationship I the future.

Maybe he chose that word deliberately - a harbinger is a “ill wind” one thing the U.K. does not need is a free trade deal with the US.

All of the Global US companies pay very little tax in the UK and he would dearly love that to continue, he would also love to get free access for US food produced to totally different environmental, health and welfare standards.

GagaJo Sat 14-Dec-19 08:01:28

It's inevitable now, unfortunately. No point hoping it doesn't happen.

gmarie Mon 16-Dec-19 03:37:39

I wish there was a throwing up emoji.

janipat Mon 16-Dec-19 10:35:04

Davidhs harbinger may be commonly used as "harbinger of doom" but that is not its exclusive use, it merely means a signal to something that follows. Snowdrops and daffodils are the harbingers of Spring. In Trumps case I think the doom aspect probably is the most likely.

tanith Mon 16-Dec-19 11:04:30

gmarie here you go ???

gmarie Tue 17-Dec-19 01:43:02

Thanks, tanith. Don't know how to make any emojis not on the "list". grin.

DillytheGardener Tue 17-Dec-19 02:14:50

Grim. Goodbye NHS....

JenniferEccles Tue 17-Dec-19 09:41:01

The NHS is NOT being sold to Donald Trump.

I am amazed that some are still peddling this nonsense.

It was a complete lie from an increasingly desperate Corbyn before the election.

Please let it die.

Davidhs Tue 17-Dec-19 09:47:23

I’m really surprised that anyone thinks a FREE trade deal with the US is good for the U.K.

GM food
Lower Welfare standards
Lowers Environmental standards
Lower Climate Change aims
Threat to NHS
No tax for US tech companies

The US has a lot to gain we have a lot to loose maybe someone can suggest where we gain, that is the aim of a trade deal.