Gransnet forums

News & politics

Negotiating deals ...

(17 Posts)
jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:28:05

From Jason Hunter:

' Now when the negotiation becomes a reality it seems that the USA is a little bit bigger than the UK and might actually negotiate in the best interests of America rather than the best interests of the UK. Who on earth would have thought that might happen?

As for his solution? Negotiate deals on a state by state basis! The guy is a bigger fool than even I first thought!

"Liam Fox will point out that four US states - California, Texas, Florida and New York - would be members of the G20 if they were independent nations, and that many deals could be struck with states, rather than the US as a whole."

Many US States are very proctectionists- and have VERY tight controls stopping competition from other US States. Yes- negotiating with a Federalist Country, composed of many independent States- is very difficult indeed. Unlike in the UK, where Johnson can totally ignore Scotland, Wales and NI when it suits them, this just does NOT work in the US.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:29:54

From Mr Hunter again, who has visited the WTO in Geneva several times in last couple of years to fully understand how it works ''Like they told me the first time I visited with the WTO in Geneva back in 2018...

"Liam Fox could have been forgiven for his ridiculous statements about WTO rules and international trade a couple of years ago, because he didnt have a clue what he was talking about. However 2 years on and he has been in this office no less than eight times and we have informed him of the reality of falling back on to WTO rules for trade. He now KNOWS that he is lying when he makes these same ridiculous statements 2 years later".

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 11:33:28

You need to listen to Prof Dougan from Liverpool Uni- who has decades of experience in studying negotiations- but in the meantime, listen to another expert in the field (yes I know, experts are rubbish and worthless...currently, but ...)

youtu.be/3kPOdSFKD-Q

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:35:43

As the date approaches - which will be the beginning and certainly not the end as some think. it is becoming increasingly clear that our Government, PM ad negotiators have not got a clue sad and just one measly little deal with Switzerland so far.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 12:42:57

Breaking: The UK government says Gibraltar cannot negotiate a separate deal with the EU on passport-free travel after Brexit.
Gibraltar has a population of around 33,000 and around 13,000 commute daily from Spain to work in Gibraltar.

Put a hard transit border there and people winter get to work til after 11 in the morning or start their commute at 4:30am just to get to work.

The UK Government haven't a ***y clue!

Same for the border between UK and NI.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Jan-20 13:22:08

I know a fair bit about Gibraltar, Spain control the border and often close it for the smallest/oddest reasons.

It is not unusual for it to take over an hour to get through.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 13:25:25

Unusual, is very different to 'always/daily' - perhaps?

One way of overcoming this here, with 1000s of French workers coming to work daily in Switzerland- is to organise effective public transport and enforced car sharing.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 15:45:11

Although this is possible here as we are part of Schengen - Gibraltar is not- so Spain will be able to insist on checking paperwork for every passenger, everytime- should they choose to.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:55:40

The Falklands will be in an even worse situation.

Cunco Mon 20-Jan-20 17:03:05

This is not so much a Forum. It's more of a blog. I think we get the drift.

MerylStreep Mon 20-Jan-20 17:38:32

I couldn't find a yawn emoji so this will have to do.???

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 17:41:32

How about commenting- then it would become a discussion. Do you have any further information perhaps? I am so glad this does not concern you btw.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 17:42:56

Do you know, for instance, that Gibraltar airport is partially (about 50%) on Spanish soil - impossible to land or take-off without Spain's permission, apparently.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Jan-20 18:19:39

Jura2 where did you get your information that the airport is partly in Spain please?

Oopsminty Mon 20-Jan-20 18:32:54

I've never heard that Gibraltar airport is partially in Spain!

Not sure that it is.

Flown there a few times

Quite the experience

GrannyGravy13 Mon 20-Jan-20 18:34:05

I think you may be referring to the new terminal which is slight on Spanish soil.

Spain is not able to block any flights between UK and Gibraltar.

jura2 Mon 20-Jan-20 19:16:10

Here is the link given- apparently there is a long battle over where the border should actually be, and that some land was wrongly taken for the airport.

''"In 1909 Britain decided to reduce the number of sentries and built a fence 7 feet (2.1 m) high,[5] however there was suspicion about the motives for doing so.[6] The line of this fence has become the de facto border. Spain claims that, by building the fence where it did, the United Kingdom annexed 106 of the original 156 hectares of neutral ground. In this location Gibraltar International Airport was built.[citation needed]" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar%E2%80%93Spain_border''