Gransnet forums

News & politics

Some Remainers won’t accept the new 50p ?

(173 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 19:34:11

They say if it’s in their change they will refuse it and ask for 2x20p and a 10p. Oh surely not?

What if they receive them in change from a vending machine?

The Europhiles were perfectly happy to foist 30 times as many 50p coins on us to commemorate joining the EEC in 1973 and those were in common circulation for 24 years unlike the relatively tiny number of Brexit coins that will mostly go directly into collector and investor holdings!

jura2 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:39:40

Their prerogative surely? Who are you to decide if they should or not?

GagaJo Sun 26-Jan-20 19:39:41

What a load of c**p. I'm a remainer. I'll spend whatever I'm given.

Ilovecheese Sun 26-Jan-20 19:39:42

Some people who voted to remain are saying that they will give any Brexit coins that they receive straight into a charity tin.
These coins are a ridiculous waste of money, just like the last lot that had to be melted down.
As Hesletine said, the coins are rubbing the remainers noses in it.
The leavers won, as they keep saying, why not try to be a little gracious instead of gloating.

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jan-20 19:43:30

Oh well, if charity benefits, that's good.

Oopsminty Sun 26-Jan-20 19:44:40

Great.

More money for charity

sue421 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:45:21

I do feel there are a lot of bullies out there!

Septimia Sun 26-Jan-20 19:49:34

It's time we all put the nastiness behind us. None of us knew exactly what we were letting ourselves in for when we voted and could only make the best decision we could at the time. It doesn't mean that all remainers are smug and satisfied, so perhaps the leavers could allow for that.

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 19:51:36

So what? It’s a free country - if they prefer not to accept them and want to give them to charity then it’s a win win. It doesn’t impact on your life or anyone else’s, so just move on and stop stirring the poo - we’re trying to mend fences, remember?

growstuff Sun 26-Jan-20 19:52:09

I can't remember the last time anybody gave me cash or I spent any, so at least I won't have to make any decision. I even have a metal disc I use for supermarket trolleys.

paddyanne Sun 26-Jan-20 19:54:34

I'll happily accept them and donate to the SNP and I'll take them from anyone who doesn't want them

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 19:57:19

Lord Adonis, a Labour peer who has consistently fought to reverse Brexit, tweeted: 'I am never using or accepting this coin.'

Meanwhile, Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's former spin doctor, echoed a similar sentiment as he said he will ask shops for alternatives to the coin if he is handed one in the future.

Fools.

dragonfly46 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:59:21

Oh really I don’t think I would notice! Too petty!

growstuff Sun 26-Jan-20 20:01:49

Why are they fools? It's no trouble for a shopkeeper to give other coins.

They're part of the "bread and circuses" routine.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:02:44

Who actually examines the coinage in their change to see what "editions" they are?

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 20:04:43

Don’t they have to accept them as they are legal tender?

If I was the shopkeeper I’d say ‘it’s up to you mate, I’m not swapping them - but there’s a charity box is here if you really don’t want it’!

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 20:05:55

Usually true GG13 but I bet some Remainers will be eagle-eyed from 1 February! Until they get bored ....

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 20:14:08

Exactly what is the point of this thread Urm? At a time when we’re all trying to move on and put the past bitterness and rancour behind us, what are you trying to achieve by posting this? I’m genuinely curious to know what you’re getting out of it.

jura2 Sun 26-Jan-20 20:19:26

Remainers are supposed to accept and suck it up - but Leavers are totally entitled to gloat and rub faces in it -

apparently ;)

BlueBelle Sun 26-Jan-20 20:31:00

I will accept them, put them in a jar keep them out if circulation then give an ordinary 50p to a Refugee charity Thats my choice

love0c Sun 26-Jan-20 20:33:16

Well they should count themselves lucky that is all they have to worry about! Goodness me!!!!!

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 20:44:31

I’m not trying to ‘get anything’ out of this thread as you say SirChenJin.

It was in the news this evening. I read it and was amused by the reactions of Adonis & Campbell. I merely posted to gauge responses to their comments is all.

Oopsminty Sun 26-Jan-20 20:47:07

Very good point, love0C

My father was never keen on our entrance back in the 70s.

He always thought it a mistake

He loved Europeans ... married one once .... just never felt he wanted to be in EEC/EU gang.

Fair enough, he muddled through

He didn't get hysterical when an EE commemorative coins were issued.

He didn't lose his temper when we lost the passport's of old

He even had an EU flag on his driving licence

All things he wasn't keen on

But he just put up and shut up

Because we'd voted in

Even though he hadn't

SirChenjin Sun 26-Jan-20 20:54:19

No you weren’t Urm - you decided you would have a completely unnecessary stir of the pot. So now you know - as you probably did before you started this thread - that some remainers won’t bother, some won’t notice and others who are minded to do so will give it to charity. HTH.

Urmstongran Sun 26-Jan-20 21:04:20

Perhaps when Adonis turns up in the Lords give him a bag with 610 of them in it as his daily allowance. Tell him take it or leave it.
?