Gransnet forums

News & politics

Extinction Rebellion in Cambridge

(18 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 15:49:15

XR have dug up Trinity College Lawn, Cambridge.

They have closed down roads in the City.

Last week they dug up the grassy area around the Home Office.

Surely these wanton acts of vandalism are not going to get their message across to the general public but antagonise the people they wish to convince?

Ilovecheese Mon 17-Feb-20 16:25:58

I agree. XR make it so easy for climate change sceptics to denigrate the core message.

What should they do instead though?

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:31:01

Work towards solutions constructively instead of carrying out stupid wanton acts of destruction.

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:32:24

Are they planting vegetables on these areas they have dug up?
Does this have a purpose?

Grass captures CO2, did they know that?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:41:44

I just find wanton destruction abhorrent.

I am sure that those at the top of XR could/should work with Climate Change experts worldwide.

merlotgran Mon 17-Feb-20 16:47:29

I hope they apologise to the worms for disturbing their habitat although the resident robins might have been cheering.

They've probably pissed off a few ladybirds as well. angry

Callistemon Mon 17-Feb-20 16:50:36

Robins 2
Worms 0
Ladybird larvae 0

Humankind - no nearer a solution with this action.

POGS Mon 17-Feb-20 16:52:03

Sorry no excuse to cause wanton damage.

They lose the argument.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:52:40

They were chanting as they dug digging for oil, digging for oil

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 16:56:46

Not only thispointlessvandalism. If asked, apart from their unrealistic ultimatum, they have no ideas o policies of their own for reaching tjhose deadlines.

I searched and searched for weeks for ER's energy policy and finally found a statement of theirs essentially saying their job was to accelerate the date reaching carbon zero, but not to suggest how it should be done confused

Essentially these are not climate radicals these are professional protestors who were looking for a cause, any cause, and saw the opportunity climate change offered..

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 16:59:43

Monica I think you are correct confused

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Feb-20 17:05:18

Apparently they have “transported” and now “dumped” the majority of the dug up lawn and soil inside Barclays Bank Cambridge???

Why have Cambridge Police not stopped them? Instead they have issued a “crime number” for criminal damage?

janipat Mon 17-Feb-20 18:35:49

It is just wanton vandalism, achieves absolutely nothing positive at all. They could have travelled to our flooded areas and cleared barrow loads of mud from devastated premises, but I suppose that's hard work and not half as much fun, even if it would draw attention to the effects of climate change in a positive way.

vegansrock Mon 17-Feb-20 18:40:33

Well, you are talking about it, if they were handing out leaflets at the bus stop would you be bothered? Think - suffragettes, civil rights, ant war movements etc.

janipat Mon 17-Feb-20 20:06:52

vegansrock If they had done what I've suggested they'd have earned themselves some positive publicity but destruction/obstruction is their chosen way every time. Should every group that wants their voice heard follow this same destructive/obstructive path? Wonder what their reactions would be if someone vandalised something of theirs as a form of protest.

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 20:34:53

Vegansrock we are talking about them, not about the cause they claim they promote. And the talk about them is mainly negative; about their mindless vandalism and obstructive behaviour.

Now if they would bring out a carefully thought through policy on how the country could make the transfer they want without economic collapse or going back to living like medieval peasants, then they would be doing something really useful, but they won't. All they have published is a guide to being obstructive.

They are just rentacrowd activists who latched onto climate change as a good excuse for making a bleeding nuisance of themselves. It does nothing to advance their cause, in fact by making it a rentamob activity it trivialises it and makes people just get fed up with them and as a result their 'cause'

growstuff Mon 17-Feb-20 23:13:51

I agree with others. This kind of action serves no purpose and attracts negative publicity.

A friend is involved in organising the setting up a community allotment in Cambridge. Maybe they could volunteer to dig over the plot, which would actually be something constructive and of value to the community and their cause.

Lyndiloo Sun 23-Feb-20 02:39:34

It's ridiculous that these vandals are allowed to get away with their actions! What point are they trying to make by digging up a lawn and dumping it in a bank??? It makes no sense at all! All they are doing is making a lot of work for other people. They should be arrested.