Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yes, it is symbolism ... but I want one! ??

(133 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 13:47:08

Available from next month (once old supplies have been used up!)

Calendargirl Sat 22-Feb-20 13:50:08

There’s another thread running with picture of Boris holding a blue passport.
I posted on it that mine runs out soon, hope I get a blue one but pretty sure it will still be a burgundy one!

travelsafar Sat 22-Feb-20 13:54:57

Wish i had waited, renewed mine in October as it was running out.

Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 13:57:07

We are going to wait a few months then renew ours slightly earlier in the hope of getting blue ones again. I know. We’re sad!

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:41

Yes I still like it!

Marydoll Sat 22-Feb-20 14:04:27

I don't really care what colour it is, as long as it allows me to travel abroad.
I don't really get this thing about blue passports. ?

Calendargirl Sat 22-Feb-20 14:09:39

It’s because they look more traditional I suppose Marydoll.

Septimia Sat 22-Feb-20 14:16:06

Ours expired in November. Since we won't need them in the near future we're waiting until we can get blue ones again.

Marydoll Sat 22-Feb-20 14:17:05

Thanks Calendargirl*, my travelling days are almost over, I'll probably be dead before mine runs out! wink

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 14:24:58

Mine still has two years to run.
The old British passports were much larger than the new ones.
I’m not fussed about colour I must say, and tbf we could have stayed with dark blue as the colour on EU passports, but the government of the day decided not to.
For me, leaving the EU is about much bigger things ( sorry, don’t mean to sound sanctimonious)? but it will be nice to have the word British back on the passport.

Grammaretto Sat 22-Feb-20 14:26:52

Just received my new 10 year Burgundy passport . It lacks the heading European Union otherwise almost identical apart from inside which is very full of holograms and the business end is now at the front. The Lion and Unicorn on the cover is in dazzling bright gold.
It will doubtless see me out.
I have kept all my previous passports for sentimental reasons and my DM's too. Someone is going to enjoy clearing the house when I'm gone. wink

HurdyGurdy Sat 22-Feb-20 14:27:59

I'm pleased we're reverting to blue passports, because they look much more elegant than the burgundy ones (shamelessly admitting to being that shallow!)

MaizieD Sat 22-Feb-20 14:38:57

Pathetic...

paddyanne Sat 22-Feb-20 14:47:13

I'm more than happy with my EU passport but if I have to change it I want one that says "Independent Republic of Scotland " on it ,Being a second hand citizen of the UK doesn't work for me

Chestnut Sat 22-Feb-20 14:52:52

I still have a couple of the really old blue ones with the hard covers tucked away. These are not as classy.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:53:05

Mine won’t expire for a number of years, does anyone still have their old Passports? we have our old blue ones with Visa stamps in them for some countries.

Pittcity Sat 22-Feb-20 14:59:09

I am happy with my burgundy one that was renewed last Summer. It still says European Union!
They are all made by a French Company and all do the same thing whatever they look like.

vampirequeen Sat 22-Feb-20 15:06:22

I could see the point of the blue passport if it was being made in the UK and creating jobs in this country but it isn't. A French company is making them in it's factory in Poland. The only difference seems to be the colour but it could always have been blue. There was no law (EU or otherwise) that said it had to be burgundy.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Feb-20 15:12:59

Yes Oopsadaisy I keep my old passports. The first one shows me with my original dark brown hair, wearing a mauve patterned blouse I was fond of, and I just look so young and really quite pretty back then (sigh). Long time ago.
?

mcem Sat 22-Feb-20 15:56:06

Mine is valid for another year unfortunately so when I renew it will be 'symbolic' blue. Symbol of what, I'm not so sure. However we still have black EU covers so will use those when we have to. Petty? Yes I can do petty too!

BlueSapphire Sat 22-Feb-20 16:51:20

Would love a new blue passport but as mine was only renewed last year I'm going to have to wait a long time! DH was disgusted with having to have the red EU one, and was convinced that some embassy somewhere had a stock of the old blue ones. He would be well pleased now!

Chestnut Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:46

For those who are stuck with EU passports (but want the blue/black passports) I think you can get covers to hide the red passports in! ?
Nice passport cover here

NannyJan53 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:13:00

I really do not understand what the fuss is over the colour of a passport. There are so many more important issues in the world.

Chestnut Sat 22-Feb-20 17:24:33

Well you could say the same about the colour of your purse or your umbrella or anything else. It's nice to have the colour or style you want.

Callistemon Sat 22-Feb-20 17:30:07

Well, at least no-one can complain about her hair!!

I renewed my passport last year, burgundy EU.
It fits neatly into my belt.