Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yorkshire Tea boycott

(168 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 09:03:06

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard from so called ”Left Wingers” all over the Internet they are calling for a boycott of Yorkshire Tea after the Chancellor Rishi Sunak was pictured making a pot of tea using Yorkshire Tea Bags.

The political left should have better things to worry about......electing a new leader, forming a front bench to be a credible opposition to the Government and sorting out some policies for a start

GrannySomerset Tue 25-Feb-20 09:08:07

Presumably none of them drinks “normal” tea but only infusions of rare and delicate plants? How about doing something useful like being an effective opposition?

Greyduster Tue 25-Feb-20 09:13:08

By Gum! ‘Ow dare they! Their loss anyway!

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 09:14:18

It seems to be a storm on Twitter (where people of all political persuasions spout all kinds of nonsense) which has then been picked up by the media and nothing to do with the official line from the opposition benches. Do you have a link to Starmer and others calling for this ban?

quizqueen Tue 25-Feb-20 09:22:27

As a right winger, I think I'll give Yorkshire tea a try now. I expect there'll be shortage of all teas soon anyway because of this flu thing!

MaizieD Tue 25-Feb-20 09:32:10

It's utterly ridiculous, if it is happening.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 09:39:02

I have just re-checked the Yorkshire Tea twitter account, and the person who runs it has made multiple requests for people to "be kind" and pointing out that when Jeremy Corbyn posted a similar picture in 2017 they had a similar response from right wingers.

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 09:41:11

So basically another storm in the Twitter teacup and nothing to do with the political parties.

Oopsminty Tue 25-Feb-20 09:44:27

I haven't seen the comment that Jeremy Corbyn's picture garnered the same level of abuse.

Quite a few left leaning Grans use Twitter

Always amazes me

Twitter is not the real world

MaizieD Tue 25-Feb-20 09:52:12

What has 'left leaning Grans' using twitter got to do with the topic under discussion?

Twitter is not the real world

It's as 'real' as any other collection of diverse people. Sometimes I wish it wasn't because you see some truly nasty people on there that you almost cannot believe actually exist, but every group has them, whether on social media or in real life.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 25-Feb-20 09:59:58

Unfortunately for lots of people Twitter is part of their daily lives, as GN is for many Grans/Grandpas, whatever their political leanings.

I only posted as it has also been discussed in the Telegraph, and as an illustration on how things become "important" to some, when there are more pressing matters which could be a "cause for discussion/action"

NotSpaghetti Tue 25-Feb-20 10:03:56

So both the left and the right are incensed GrannyGravy13!
?

Oopsminty Tue 25-Feb-20 10:08:08

Can we see the abuse hurled at JC and Labour voters after he posed with the tea, please?

millymouge Tue 25-Feb-20 10:10:41

Blow politics, DH and I love our Yorkshire tea

Davidhs Tue 25-Feb-20 10:13:15

An unfortunate choice, Yorkshire Tea has no connection other than the name. Obviously it’s not grown in the county nor is it even packed there, it’s just a warehouse and distribution operation.

Witzend Tue 25-Feb-20 10:17:02

My sister lives in the Yorkshire Dales - he’s their MP.
I don’t see the problem, unless the very-left think he’s a rich posh boy who should by rights be drinking Lapsang Souchong - or at least Earl Grey?

dizzyblonde Tue 25-Feb-20 10:17:32

I’m slightly left of centre in a political sense and really don’t care what tea I drink so long as you don’t put too much milk in it. DD buys the tea in our household and her criteria is that the bags have to be biodegradable and plastic free, a sentiment I wholeheartedly support.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:17:55

Dear Mr Sunak.

I cannot tell you how truly really shocked I am at this photograph which clearly demonstrates your use of tea bags

I write as a Yorkshire woman who always takes tea pot, tea strainer and packets of leaf tea on all self catering holidays

If anything demonstrates your unfitness to govern, it is this

Love from

Suzie

SirChenjin Tue 25-Feb-20 10:21:02

Was his choice of dunking biscuit revealed?

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:26:19

Oh dear me, it’s like SirChenjin says, it’s all a storm in a teacup. My favourite tea is Tetleys, am I allowed to say that? I’m not advertising, it’s just my favourite.
I don’t use Twitter, whilst I have been assured that there is useful stuff on there, I tend to only hear about the silly, or worse, the plain nasty or the death threats etc. I think it gives a platform to people, who are of a mind to do it, to behave in a way that would be out of order, or even maybe illegal, if spoken directly to the targeted person.

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:27:07

SirChenin, what’s your favourite dunking biscuit? Mine has to be Rich Tea.

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:27:31

And at least , he hadn’t pulled his trousers down

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:27:51

Suzie grin

maddyone Tue 25-Feb-20 10:28:57

Suzie, what’s his trousers got to do with it, please explain grin

suziewoozie Tue 25-Feb-20 10:30:01

Thanks GG for your follow up post, giving the full picture.