Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pangolin - not an easy read

(60 Posts)
Sussexborn Fri 03-Apr-20 14:23:32

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangolin_trade

I didn’t know what these were so looked them up. Quite grim reading.

Firecracker123 Fri 03-Apr-20 14:32:26

Yes grim indeed and very sad.

SalsaQueen Fri 03-Apr-20 14:47:25

I find the whole thing abhorrent. In this day and age of technology, it amazes me that some people believe that certain medical conditions can be cured by consuming Pangolin scales, Rhinocerous horn, etc.

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 14:53:17

Absolutely shocking! Makes you want to weep, along with bear bile, tiger parts and much much else! Hardly bears thinking about, yet there seems little anyone can do to educate people away from these mediaeval practices and mind sets.

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 15:19:01

It’s all done with Chinese state condoning it , just like Ivory, Rhinoceros Horn, Blood Diamonds, Sharks Fins and a whole lot more. They could easily stop it.

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 15:33:19

Im not reading this, it will make we weep. I should urge caution perhaps against saying things like " The Chinese"

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 15:46:07

No you musn't name names Davidhs although you are of course totally correct! You'll get into trouble for doing that. Western names are ok, but anywhere else are completely taboo ! Not quite sure why, but thats how it hypocritically is!

ExD Fri 03-Apr-20 15:55:04

Well spoken Jaberwok.
There are similar inconsistencies and hypocrisy the uk racial discrimination laws. Unsettling.

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 15:58:42

Rubbish, this is one of the vilest things but how can " The Chinese" be responsible.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 03-Apr-20 16:03:21

A Chinese person ate an infected bat, they came infectious, infected multiple people hence the pandemic......simples!

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 16:05:56

OK, fair enough.

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 16:31:11

Because they, along with other far eastern countries, use these endangered creatures for food and bogus medical cures! In the 21st century?!!! unbelievable!

lemongrove Fri 03-Apr-20 16:42:24

Exactly Jabberwok the culture of eating all kinds of animals such as bats and snakes and rhino/tiger and even owls is anathema to us here in the West.As is eating dogs and cats.
After closing down the wildlife markets in China, I hope they will think twice about reopening them!

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 16:50:32

fightdogmeat.com/2018/02/09/china-bohes-rescue-shelter-dog-meat-dog

Davidhs Fri 03-Apr-20 17:26:54

OK then there is a country in the Far East with a population of 1.5 billion that with a totalitarian government that permits all sorts of international trade bans, welfare abuses, ignores environmental targets, restricts individual freedoms, will trade with any regime around the globe and pay in cash or arms which ever they prefer, they do not recognize copyright laws and grab territorial water off smaller neighbors.

Because their goods are cheap we are quite happy to trade with them - humbug.

I guess this will get deleted

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:39:27

I think there are a few issues here.

It has been historically culturally ok for the Chinese and other cultures to eat the meat of wild animals.

It is also true to say that it happens only on a very very small scale now and is decreasing year on year.

The eating of wildlife is now illegal in China

Hope not hate are alarmed at the racist rhetoric becoming more prevalent against people from Asia, (it doesn’t take much excuse does it?) and are requesting that people take care not to “other” people in their rhetoric.

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 17:40:41

You're quite right of course! Maybe after this Pandemic we'll have second thoughts! Don't hold your breath!! I for one will be avoiding where I can items from certain countries!

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 17:49:53

How come these markets sell wild life for consumption if it is illegal? Why aren't the authorities closing them down with a view to prosecution? Nothing racist about abhorrence of cruelty to animals, or the torment of ethnic minorities, or religious intolerance. After all we're quick enough to pick up on it here, but not In other parts of the world aapparently it must not be mentioned! Strange old world!

Jabberwok Fri 03-Apr-20 17:55:16

A wonderful lady who deserves all the help and support she can get.

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 17:56:40

Ok, I will mention it. I have never been to China. I don't have Chinese friends. I absolutely detest cruelty to animals. I absolutely detest racism.

SalsaQueen Fri 03-Apr-20 18:02:45

lemongrove. The markets in China, selling live animals (they are blow-torched, skinned alive, burned, etc), haven't been stopped in ALL parts of China. In most areas, the vile practices still exist.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 18:04:46

What have you done in the past about animal rights in China SalsaQueen?

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 18:07:53

Eating bush meat in Africa is also quite widespread. Apparently, it's quite easily obtainable in the USA too.

I'm very supportive of campaigns to increase the welfare of animals intended for consumption, but let's not be selective.

growstuff Fri 03-Apr-20 18:09:02

Would it be wrong of me to post a picture of a skewered and barbecued guinea pig in Peru?

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 18:10:12

Then you could say " Peruvians do this"