Gransnet forums

News & politics

5G, Covid-19 and conspiracy theorists

(11 Posts)
growstuff Sat 04-Apr-20 04:14:15

Apparently, there have been rumours circulating and shared on social media by people such as Amanda Holden, that Covid-19 has been caused by 5G. Telecoms engineers have faced verbal and physical abuse from protesters and a 5G telephone mast has been significantly damaged in an arson attack. Who exactly are these conspiracy theory numpties?

www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/03/broadband-engineers-threatened-due-to-5g-coronavirus-conspiracies

janeainsworth Sat 04-Apr-20 07:32:10

As if we haven’t got enough problems!
Why don’t these celebrities just shut up and go home? angry

M0nica Sat 04-Apr-20 08:54:22

Didn't David Icke (remember him?) believe that the world was controlled by giant lizards?

GagaJo Sat 04-Apr-20 09:27:07

Blimey. That makes the germ warfare theories I’ve heard sound sensible.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:32:54

It's plain to see that of late these viruses etc have been caused by the vast amount of us who travel from country to country as well as those who come into this country from all corners of the globe-----simple as that.

janipat Sat 04-Apr-20 10:39:12

EllanVannin travel hasn't caused these viruses, but of course facilitates transfer of them around the world.

glammanana Sat 04-Apr-20 10:42:08

Cheap and easy travel to all corners of the world any virus will soon manifest itself bringing people back from China then sending the planes on to other destinations have caused the spread I'm sure.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:44:24

The first time I went to Tunisia in 1974 I had to have vaccinations for typhoid and yellow fever. I don't think it's necessary any longer and whether people bother to find out nowadays I don't know but diseases are spread very easily and I would rather feel protected if/when going to far-flung places.

Certificates of vaccination had to be shown too though I don't know what happened if you couldn't produce one .

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:47:42

Of course it will have done Glamma. Circulated germs in cabins of planes you're always going to get someone else's cold/ cough/ sneezes.
To save money and fuel some flights haven't even been using the air-con properly.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:54:45

Janipat, so therefore travel has added a lot to the way viruses multiply.
Why do you think we have to socially isolate ? Which works !
It's a person to person thing and not everyone is up to speed with their hygiene habits so it's obvious that a plane load of people won't land unscathed in some way. Turnaround time of flights isn't long enough to do any deep-cleaning as all that's done is tidying and emptying rubbish.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 11:08:56

On my first trip to Oz in 1982 passengers were sprayed with an anti-bug substance ( disinfectant ) before we even moved to get off the plane after it landed and the liquid was dripping off some people's faces. Sprayers were in full suits and masks.

This was never done on the return journey to the UK ! Mmm.