Gransnet forums

News & politics

Emily Maitless saying it like it is

(126 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:27:09

You don’t fight coronavirus with strength of character, as the cabinet would have you believe when talking about Johnson.

Coronavirus is not the great leveller as has been advertised, the poor (essential workers) suffer to a much greater degree than the wealthy and their exposure is far greater. They are much more likely to suffer underlying health issues.

The poor are much more likely to live in poor living conditions and suffer accordingly with the lock down.

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 13:47:49

Do you have a link please? Sounds interesting.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 13:49:31

Last nights Newsnight

EllanVannin Thu 09-Apr-20 13:50:28

This virus doesn't discriminate !

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 13:51:20

Wow, I found it. What a brave expression of the truth.

Early on I mentioned the language of Covid;herd,lockdown,cull and now we have fight.

Needless to say my thoughts were mocked by most.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 13:55:21

I saw that. I thought, very true. Particularly her statement about how it's worse for some.

Only got to see how government ministers are getting tests while our nurses are wearing bin bags instead of PPE.

GagaJo Thu 09-Apr-20 13:58:47

Yes Greymar, I remember

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 14:01:28

I remember you too Gaga! Everybody rounded on me. Ah Well.

Dinahmo Thu 09-Apr-20 14:06:36

Yet another story this morning about a young health worker had the virus, was self isolating and died alone. There's far too many of these stories about health workers, whether nurses or surgeons, who are catching the virus and dying. Some of them were retired (as the surgeon in Cardiff) who volunteered to go back to work.

No doubt this will be shot down but IMO politicians are replaceable but health workers aren't.

SueDonim Thu 09-Apr-20 14:12:22

I’ve disliked this ‘fighting talk’ for some years, ever since a friend whose Dh died leaving her with small children was very hurt by the implication that he didn’t fight hard enough against his cancer.

It’s maybe ok to use it in general terms of the entire country fighting the virus by staying at home etc but even then, what does ‘winning’ the battle against COVID-19 mean? I’m fairly sure that the 4000+ plus people who’ve already died won’t have ‘won’ and nor will their families - they’ll feel as though they’ve lost. sad

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 14:13:50

Sadly lots of health workers have died in other countries too. I imagine it's impossible to avoid the virus when you work in close proximity. It has been proven that the virus is everywhere around those covid patients. It's floating in the air even in areas they have left and nearby corridors. It's all so horrible.

growstuff Thu 09-Apr-20 14:21:02

It's irrelevant whether health workers in other countries have died. The point is that health workers in this country have had inadequate protective clothing.

Chestnut Thu 09-Apr-20 14:31:06

My point is growstuff that health workers are dying everywhere and how can we be sure there is even such a thing as protective clothing when the virus is floating around the room they spend many hours in? Can we be sure that virus doesn't eventually get inside those suits?

Whitewavemark2 Thu 09-Apr-20 14:36:10

The point is that it is the poor once again bearing the brunt of this brutal virus. Either because if greater exposure - delivery, bus drivers, postmen, care workers, nurses. Etc. The poor generally have poorer health, and more underlying medical issues

Nothing to do with how well they are protected. That is another whole issue.

Poor living conditions mean that lockdown is intolerable in some cases.

westendgirl Thu 09-Apr-20 14:37:06

What do you mean Chestnut ?
The Doctors and nurses surely know what they are talking about when they ask for protective clothing . We should not make excuses for those who have let them down.

Callistemon Thu 09-Apr-20 14:43:01

We don't know who is succumbing to this dreadful virus. Later on, when this is over, statistics may prove some of these statements right but until then we do not know whether or not the information gathered will prove that certain sections of society were more vulnerable than others.

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 15:11:58

Blue collar workers can’t work from home unlike the ‘middle class’ professionals.

But that’s too simplistic.

Doctors & nurses go out to work on the front line. Some teachers do and they are not poor.

I suppose it too early to generalise. Most (92%) of the people in the U.K. who have died we’re over 60y. So mostly pensioners?

Urmstongran Thu 09-Apr-20 15:18:06

Actually this type of comment used to be the job of religious leaders to point out these moral inequalities but the left luvvies have taken over this role and most live very privileged lives!

Greymar Thu 09-Apr-20 15:28:46

Is she a left luvvie? i don't know anything about her.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:35:17

But of the younger ones (under 60s) who have died, it may be that more will be in the more socio-economically disadvantaged groups. We’ll see - either way Emily was spot on for calling out the pathetic ‘fighting’ talk wrt BJ. It’s all part of some male macho rubbish about real men don’t get ill and if they do they fight and survive.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:39:14

No she’s not at all Grey ( whatever that means anyway). Many of us left of centre were thoroughly annoyed with her during the GE campaign. She interviewed Andrew in his famous car crash rehabilitation attempt and had to remind him that his ‘friend’ was actually a registered sex offender which Andrew seemed to be overlooking.

Oopsminty Thu 09-Apr-20 15:40:37

Never liked the 'he's /she's strong /fighter' but so many people say it

I think friends and family are in shock and will try to convince themselves that their loved one will survive

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:41:07

Don’t be silly Urm she’s not that and are you saying the statement shouldn’t have been made? Or do you think BJ will recover because he’s a fighter and the 10 bus drivers died because they didn’t fight ?

SirChenjin Thu 09-Apr-20 15:42:38

Greymar you should know by now that anyone who highlights the inequalities in the UK and questions whether this Govt could do more to improve social justice is automatically bestowed the title of left luvvie - as if that’s some sort of insult.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 15:44:29

You're also falling into the usual simplistic trap Urm of saying that because not everyone under 60 who dies is economically disadvantaged, then it can’t be true that the majority may be. You know like smoking and lung cancer.