Gransnet forums

News & politics

Will he resign?

(1000 Posts)
MaizieD Fri 22-May-20 22:09:15

News breaking tonight that Dominic Cummings and his wife, when ill with Covid-19, put their child in the car and drove 260 miles from London to Durham so that they could isolate at his parent's place and his parents look after the child. This happened some time after 27th March. Remember lockdown was imposed on 23rd March.

Seen in his parent's garden with his child on 5th April.

Neil Fergusson resigned because his lover visited his house after lockdown.

Scotland's Chief Medical Officer had to resign after visiting her second home twice after lockdown.

Cummings and his wife drive 260 miles to stay with his parents (who must be in their 60s at the very least)... What will he do?

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-investigated-police-after-22072579?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Story is in most of the MSM now.

Galaxy Fri 22-May-20 22:16:40

I dont know what he will do but my guess is we will see the first photos of Johnsons baby this weekend. But perhaps I am getting cynical in my old age.

Framilode Fri 22-May-20 22:18:51

In any other previous government I'm sure he would have been made to resign. This one, perhaps not.

Jennist Fri 22-May-20 22:24:20

He should resign. This time of crisis those in charge should lead the way.
Unfortunately I have seen many people breaking the social distancing rules this week .
Boris needs to be really tough with his staff.
How can the travel distance rules be relaxed when there are no public toilets available. A maximum distance of a few miles would mean that one could return home easily.
He also needs to consider his use of words. I feel that 'STAY ALERT ' is not specific enough, which has led to people interpreting it to suit themselves.
351 deaths today. What will it be like in 3 weeks time after all the flouting of the rules.

growstuff Fri 22-May-20 22:25:15

No, of course he won't resign. He's above the law.

The most hypocritical part of all this is that he was at his parents' house when he was ill. His wife wrote an article in the Spectator about how desperately ill he had been, but there was no mention at all that they were at his parents' home or the long drive to get there.

Daisymae Fri 22-May-20 22:26:12

Well he should. But this government doesn't seem to worry about integrity.

merlotgran Fri 22-May-20 22:28:02

Putting his parents at risk.

Nice. hmm

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 22:28:03

Of course he won’t resign - he went up north with the virus - that was nice of him to share. How old are his parents? Who does the child care in London? So many questions, so much spin. We are just treated with utter contempt.

MaizieD Fri 22-May-20 22:34:18

What bothers me most about this story is all the grandparents on here who are finding it heartbreaking not to see their grandchildren or to be able to give support to AC who might desperately be in need of it. Everyone following the rules because they care about others around them as well as about themselves.

Cummings is in his 40s so his parents must be in their 60s at least. And didn't he have an uncle who died of C19?

growstuff Fri 22-May-20 22:38:32

Yes, his uncle died on 5 April, when Cummings was at his parents' home.

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 22:43:26

If what he did was so acceptable, why was it not out in the open when it happened? So feeling ill, they embark on a 250 mile journey with a child- no toilet breaks, no petrol stops ? No risk of having to stop and endanger others? Once there, who looked after a probably infectious child? Oh yes his uncle died of C19 - retired high court judge. What was really nice was that uncles daughter was provided with full PPE so she could spend time with him before he died. Just like all the other relatives of dying old people in hospitals and care homes ..... oh wait a minute.

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 22:46:13

Not only did his wife write that article, she was given a time slot on the Today programme to tell us all about how ill he was and how lovely he is and yes.... not a mention of where they were.

Jane43 Fri 22-May-20 22:57:51

Yes he should resign or be dismissed, He is displaying typical arrogance of those who think they are above the rest of us in every respect. It is being discussed on News Night at the moment and apparently Cummings is saying he won’t resign and hasn’t broken the rules because he was in a separate building, no mention of the long journey or the position he put his parents in.

twiglet77 Fri 22-May-20 23:14:21

It said on ITV news that his parents are in their 70s. He was absolutely wrong to take his family to stay with them as he was already displaying symptoms. Of course he should go, but heaven knows what BJ will do without him.

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 23:19:26

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000hmyy 1hr 48 in - listen to her and ask yourself what doesn’t add up You May need a sick bowl btw.

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 23:20:08

Somebody is lying that’s for sure

GagaJo Fri 22-May-20 23:24:17

There is no way he'll go. If he does officially go, he'll be working in an alternate location. Still on someone's payroll even if not officially as BJs advisor.

He's bloody Rasputin. I said that on the day of the election win. Evil man. Thinks he's untouchable and thanks to BJ being a front piece PM, he probably is.

Smileless2012 Fri 22-May-20 23:24:48

Yes he should resign.

TBH I don't think the advice to 'stay alert' is confusing people and that's why there are some not social distancing. That's been going on since the lock down.

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 23:33:23

I remember all the SNP haters on here wanting to lynch the Scottish CMO - I expect they’ll forgive beanie hat man though

Grammaretto Fri 22-May-20 23:34:53

Who will write Boris's speeches and slogans if he goes?
He isn't an MP is he but a civil servant like Sir Humphrey.

quizqueen Fri 22-May-20 23:35:44

Boris also went to his holiday home (Chequers) to recuperate after he came out of hospital so he can't really criticise. In fact, all the Royals did the same thing too so they all need to resign as well, I guess, even Lizzie. So let's not single people out just because they are Leavers.

GagaJo Fri 22-May-20 23:36:35

Who would do BJs thinking, is he goes. Let's not fool ourselves that BJ makes actual decisions. He has DC for that.

MaizieD Fri 22-May-20 23:43:36

So why did Neil Fergusson and the Scottish CMO have to resign then, quizqueen?

suziewoozie Fri 22-May-20 23:50:00

none of them travelled whist infected qq What don’t you understand about not leaving your home if you have symptoms for any reason? FFS Fid you listen to the broadcast?

MaizieD Fri 22-May-20 23:53:15

Oh, bless. He went to see his mum because it was her birthday. She was 71. Wasn't that lovely of him, driving all that way feeling utterly ghastly, just to say Happy Birthday mum?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion