Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we trust this government?

(29 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-May-20 18:38:32

Even dyed in the wool Tories are saying that trust has almost entirely leaked away.

Cindersdad Sun 24-May-20 18:47:32

Sadly we simply cannot trust them, the Dominic Cummings debacle is just one more reason to confirm this. The sooner Parliament sends them packing the better.

Galaxy Sun 24-May-20 18:49:33

We cant. I dont even know what to say anymore.

vampirequeen Sun 24-May-20 18:58:52

We can't trust them. They lied to get elected. They've lied ever since. They'll sell us, the NHS and everything we hold dear down the river (well to the Americans). They don't care about ordinary people. They only care about themselves and their donors/rich supporters.

Starblaze Sun 24-May-20 18:59:13

No, we can't, and we can't blame those who are breaking current rules because basically we are seeing a countrywide mental breakdown thanks to bad examples from leadership, lack of clear advice and just not enough care for the vulnerable.

Hatcham Sun 24-May-20 19:04:30

We can't trust the current government as they stick to defending privileges for the 'inner circle' while expecting the rest of us to knuckle under and comply with directives.

maddyone Sun 24-May-20 19:05:20

Oh bless you Whitewave I just knew it would be you who started this thread grin

MayBee70 Sun 24-May-20 20:19:04

A friend of mine, lifelong Conservative voter, phoned me tonight and said she was bitterly disappointed in how Boris Johnson has turned out. I envy people that do have faith in the people that govern us because, at this moment in time I'd really like a strong powerful leader guiding us through this crisis. Not only do we not have that in the PM but I don't know of anyone in the party that fits the bill. Even the likes of Raab look positively ministerial compared to the PM when they chair the daily briefing. Can any Conservative voter honestly say that they didn't find Johnson an embarrassment today. And, if they do think he's still doing a good job I'd have to question their integrity I'm afraid [integrity seeming to be todays buzz word].

Callistemon Sun 24-May-20 20:37:21

I dreamt about Keir Starmer last night ....

I have had precognitive dreams before.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-May-20 20:55:23

?. Imagine the steady ship Starmer would be.

Lucca Sun 24-May-20 20:55:42

Can any Conservative voter honestly say that they didn't find Johnson an embarrassment today ?.

I’d like to know that too. It would actually be interesting but I’ve not heard much from those on GN who are staunch conservative voters.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-May-20 21:08:25

Article about what is happening behind the scenes whilst we are all fixated on Cummings.

truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/dominic-cummings-a-cover-story-obscuring-something-far-darker/

growstuff Sun 24-May-20 21:19:45

I told you I thought Cummings is the dead cat!

25Avalon Sun 24-May-20 21:20:26

What I find embarrassing is the press. Constantly harassing and asking the same questions when they are the ones who are a bunch of hypocrites. Did you notice how they were all crowded together with no gloves, no face masks, and definitely no social distancing as they perused Cummings?

MayBee70 Sun 24-May-20 21:20:27

Chilling reading, that....sad

25Avalon Sun 24-May-20 21:20:43

Persued

Whitewavemark2 Sun 24-May-20 21:25:30

Yes I thought so. What on earth is our future going to be.

silverlining48 Sun 24-May-20 21:27:07

Thanks Whitewavemark, have just read the article you posted. Everyone should read it.

silverlining48 Sun 24-May-20 21:27:59

I was angry, still am, but now fearful.

growstuff Sun 24-May-20 22:00:57

Didn't anybody ever get told that two wrongs don't make a right? Does it really matter that the journalists aren't two metres apart? They didn't have a hand in writing a policy which they treat with contempt.

Does it matter who started the thread? Anybody who cares to dig a bit can see that this government isn't trustworthy? How about turning the argument on its head and coming up with some evidence that it can be trusted? I must admit I'd really struggle with that one.

I mentioned the Agriculture Bill a few days ago, but nobody picked me up on it. Presumably nobody is really interested in the effect it will have on UK farming for at least a generation, probably forever. Presumably nobody's interested in the NHS, our personal data being sold or the billion pounds worth of contracts which have just been handed out to cronies, without even going to competitive tender. It's happening under our noses and nobody seems to care. And that's even before we start on Northern Ireland, the UK fishing industry and all the other lies the British people have been told.

MissAdventure Sun 24-May-20 22:05:50

It's ok.
Cummings reminded the press about the social distancing rules.

Furret Sun 24-May-20 22:51:23

WW2 corruption then at a senior level. I was wondering what ‘hole’ DC had over Boris.

MissAdventure Sun 24-May-20 22:54:10

A particular hole comes to mind when I think of Cummings.

growstuff Sun 24-May-20 23:29:12

Don't be rude MissAdventure grin!

MissAdventure Sun 24-May-20 23:58:31

Ooh sorry. I was acting on instinct. wink