Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why Does Boris Lie ?

(15 Posts)
paddyanne Tue 26-May-20 23:54:10

When the truth is on record .yesterday he said his eyesight was fine until he had CV19 ..Today theres an article by him in 2015 saying he's as blind as a bat without his specs even around the house!!
If he lies about even stupid things like this is there anything that comes out of his mouth that we can trust?

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 00:05:47

That lie was to convince us thickos that Cummings has integrity.

If we don't believe it, no matter, because they don't care.

It also helped to sidestep the question about what the hell Cummings was doing, driving around instead of isolating.

nightowl Wed 27-May-20 00:10:02

I had a boss like him once paddyanne, I’m sure we’ve all met them. He just couldn’t seem to help himself. He would look you in the eye and tell you black was white even when the evidence was there in front of him. He lied to his managers and tried to make out it was all a joke. He lied to his wife as well, and made sure we all knew he was doing it. I think he got a kick out of making us all complicit. I think people like this have something missing in their character, or their makeup. I find them frightening.

Cindersdad Wed 27-May-20 07:41:39

I have a friend, he voted leave as it happens, when I said they told blatant lies his reaction was "Politicians always tell lies, that's life!". I just don't find that is acceptable. If a manifesto promise is made in good faith then cannot be delivered that is unfortunate. To lie about actual facts or bend reality is a different matter, that destroys faith in the individual(s). Boris has been so used to eloquently and convincingly telling lies that he now sees it as normal. Like Donald Trump he can no longer distinguish between inconvenient truth and convenient untruth. He has lost all trust for most of us, we have no idea what they are plotting over Brexit. If he has nothing positive to say then he will either say nothing or make up something which he thinks some of us may believe.

His inability to admit and more importantly learn from mistakes is even more damaging. He does not appear to know even when he is lying to himself.

boat Wed 27-May-20 07:57:31

I have a relative like this. She can't help herself in the same way that some people with Tourettes can't stop swearing.

Luckily she's not in a position of power so unlike Johnston she doesn't affect the lives of many people.

Furret Wed 27-May-20 07:59:25

Boris just opens his mouth and lets flow all sort of verbal garbage. Just like Trump - except Boris uses bigger words.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 08:11:33

The other big question is why do people find it so bl**dy attractive? Or tolerate it in the supposed 'leader of the country'?

Daisymae Wed 27-May-20 08:13:13

Some people just do, it serves them well and gets them out of tight spots. Learnt as a child and a skill honed over time.

BlueBelle Wed 27-May-20 08:20:36

Inadequacy
He may be educated but he has a whole heap of muddle going on in his mind hence the umm ahhh oohs He is not a clear thinker he doesnt stop to think, he flies to say the first thing that comes into his mind not to work out any consequences then he has to lie to get out of that muddle
He is an educated Trump they are both made from similar egotistical mould they d both kill their grandma to get what they want then lie their way out of the situation to prove it wasn’t them

paddyanne Wed 27-May-20 09:40:17

I think we've all known liars,employees who needed a day off for a granny's funeral and later you realise they 've been to at least 3 grannies funerals in the past 5 years...with Boris the truth is on record yst he still does it .Is that a form of mental illness? Or a learning disability that means he cant remember that he was photographed/videoed /interviewed when he said something the opposite.Like the eyesight the photograph with specs and the articlce about how bad his eyes are in 2015 is easily available online.It must be it surfaced quite quickly and proved that he didn't have sudden bad eye problems with CV .A liar in my mind is as bad or worse than a thief .

May7 Wed 27-May-20 10:04:44

Well DH and I shrieked with laughter when BJ pulled that pair of ready readers out of his top pocket to endorse the lie. He really does think jo public is stupid.....maybe we are.
I can't abide liars, once they are found out they go on the attack as well.

MayBee70 Wed 27-May-20 17:06:29

He’s always lied and got away with it. Not just got away with it but rewarded for it (eg bendy bananas).

Davidhs Wed 27-May-20 19:25:21

Certainly he thinks Joe Public is stupid, but that can be said of a lot of politicians, he is certain that he can get away with anything by bumbling along and trying to be funny.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 19:29:38

david I think after today’s performance Johnson has run out of support for such behaviour.

NfkDumpling Wed 27-May-20 19:47:33

He lies because he’s forgotten what Cummings told him to say.