Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can you think of a Prime Minister worse than Johnson?

(487 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 19:13:26

I don’t mean whether you agree with certain political policies, I am talking about competence, knowledge and integrity.

I truthfully can’t think of a single one.

All PMs have a weakness, no doubt but this goes beyond anything I’ve every seen or read.

GagaJo Wed 27-May-20 19:16:08

No, I think I’d agree. And it can’t be a coincidence that he itch Trump, worst US president.

GagaJo Wed 27-May-20 19:16:35

ITCH? Coincides!

paddyanne Wed 27-May-20 19:23:59

NO ,Todays performance was beyond belief ,the PM admitting he doesn't /hasn't read any of the scientific evidence about CV ...in fact his whole bumbling ,pretend cough and refusal to answer the simplest questions leads me to ask WHY do some on here thinks hes good at his job? I know ...Brexit.....I also know you're all about to find yourselves in an unholy mess if he goes ahead with it .especially a no deal Brexit .Sadly we have to take what YOU voted for ,but trust me we're not amused !!

SueDonim Wed 27-May-20 19:53:59

Not in recent years, no. I was sort of hypnotised by his performance today, couldn’t tear myself away. Is he like that to work with, too, in his office, I wonder? Or has the Rona taken a bigger toll than we’ve been led to believe?

Blinko Wed 27-May-20 19:58:26

I expect Brexiteers will be first in the queue for cheap American meat products...

MissAdventure Wed 27-May-20 20:00:27

Nope.

The very worst thing is how little regard he has for anyone but his cronies.

clementine Wed 27-May-20 20:17:41

There have been a few I disliked, some I actually rated fairly highly but he is the only one I have absolutely no respect for. He should have stuck to being a bit part player in HIGNFY

EllanVannin Wed 27-May-20 20:20:42

Callaghan in the 70's. Strikes galore---bins not emptied, bodies piling up, no food deliveries, everything literally came to a standstill. Also it was a chronic winter.

Callaghan appeared getting off a flight where he'd been holidaying in the Caribbean while the country was in crisis and his first words were " Crisis ? What crisis ?"

It was known as the Winter of Discontent.

Pantglas2 Wed 27-May-20 20:27:06

Callaghan without doubt but Tony Blair for blindly bowing down to Bush and knowingly taking us to an illegal war takes some beating. And he was another one who didn’t think he’d done anything wrong and regretted nothing! What is it about power that corrupts?

Furret Wed 27-May-20 20:27:45

The Winter of Discontent didn’t kill 50,000 Brits. Just in the same way that Trump has made the USA a laughing stock, so too is Boris following the same path. The man’s an idiot,

ajswan Wed 27-May-20 20:35:32

Yes I can think of lots of Prime Ministers worse than Boris, and why bring Brexit into the discussion. What other country is giving 80% of a workers salary , and helping the self-employed amongst other things. People are losing their business's and jobs. Its not okay for retired people to make comments without looking at the facts. Are we getting an 'I am alright Jack attitude'. This is my first post and I would also like to ask what are all the abbreviations about, what does DD mean for example?

Glorybee Wed 27-May-20 20:39:34

Ajswan - click on ‘Acronyms’ at the top of the thread, under the title ‘Gransnet forums’, it’s alongside FAQs, watching, I’m on etc.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 20:40:07

I’m not talking about policies I’m talking about ability.

You may not agree with Callaghan’s policies, but his ability cannot be compared negatively with Johnson’s .

Callaghan could get up in the house and give a good argument in an articulate and intelligent manner.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 20:40:50

ajswan which ones?

Luckygirl Wed 27-May-20 20:50:36

I hated Thatcher with a passion. But one could not fault her intelligence, and competence in getting done what she wanted to do.

Integrity: I am unconvinced about integrity in any politicians to be honest: but Boris hits the jackpot on absence thereof.

He has the hat trick: incompetent, rejects knowledge; and does not know what the word integrity means.

And how do we get rid of him? I know not.

Judy70 Wed 27-May-20 20:52:28

I voted Johnson and with no regrets.
I get fed up with all the government bashing. The European Union have done very little for Europe during this pandemic , It's time we left!

Anniebach Wed 27-May-20 21:14:58

In fairness to Callaghan, he was chosen to replace Wilson as
PM, the Labour Party was already in the control of the unions
hence the winter of discontent , then Foot became leader, this led to the Thatcher years,

lemsip Wed 27-May-20 21:22:00

Ted Heath, 3 day week has everyone forgotten ted heath

heath480 Wed 27-May-20 21:23:45

Loathed Tony Blair with a passion.

I just think BoJo is a gigantic fool with low morals.I am incensed about Cummings.Obvious he has a hold over BoJo and not in a good way.

midgey Wed 27-May-20 21:24:38

Judy we have left!

grumppa Wed 27-May-20 21:28:37

I have always thought he was a despicable politician; now he is showing himself to be an incompetent prime minister.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:40:28

Cummings is doing well, though, isn't he...

I used to be quite proud to be British. To be part of a nation that prided itself on its competence, pragmatism and tolerance. But this lot have pandered to the most unpleasant elements in the nation, dragging us down into the gutter of xenophobia and hatred of the weak and poor. I'm ashamed to be British these days and loathe the despicable, weak and incompetent creature who has ended up as our PM.

Mamardoit Wed 27-May-20 21:40:49

Thatcher did so much damage. The current crisis in housing can be traced back to her. Also the demise of our manufacturing base. Not just the mining and heavy industry that we all know about, but the clothing and other trades that almost disappeared. Almost everything is now made abroad. No wonder we were short of PPE.

Wilson kept us out of Vietnam. Thatcher and Blair were both too keen to follow the US into a war.

Cameron was a fool for allowing the 2016 vote and a total coward for walking away from the total mess he caused. He also gave Thatcher a state funeral.

We can't judge BJ until he is a former PM. No leader has had to deal with anything on this scale in living memory. Wonder how Jeremy Corbyn would have coped.

I do think Boris is as capable but he is unwell. Surely everyone can see that.

MaizieD Wed 27-May-20 21:41:29

Corrupt, too.

Where is the Russian report?