Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meeting grandchildren again

(77 Posts)
FruityGrann Thu 28-May-20 17:38:44

Anyone watching tooday's briefing.

Up to 6 people can meet outside from Monday, as long as they stay 2 metres apart.

I'm so excited to be able to see my grandchildren again, and while we may have to keep our distance, it's another step closer to being able to hug them again eventually smile

MiniMoon Thu 28-May-20 18:38:13

Up to 6 people. Well that's okay then. There are 6 in my daughter's family, DD, SiL and four grandchildren. If I go to meet them in the garden there will be 7 of us, and that's not allowed. SiL or one of the grandchildren will have to stay indoors and wave from the window.

In Scotland up to 8 people can meet up, a much more sensible number.

grannyrebel7 Thu 28-May-20 19:02:10

We're in Wales and kids and grandkids are all in England. So disappointed because Welsh restrictions are still in place and we can't travel. Haven't seen them since Feb.

Pittcity Thu 28-May-20 19:38:51

I hope that nobody will be counting exactly how many people are in one garden. If you have a big outside area and it is a short visit by one household then one or two more won't matter as long as everyone's "alert".
I think the number is to stop big parties with multiple households.

petitpois Thu 28-May-20 22:19:03

I can't wait to have a proper family get together! At the moment my husband and I are having to meet up separately with my daughter which is ridiculous. But from Monday we can meet up together and most importantly can see my beautiful grandchildren at the same time. We can actually have a BBQ together!! My husband is over 70 but otherwise fit and healthy. I don't think the government has said anything specific about over 70s on this? We're still likely to be cautious otherwise though staying at home unless necessary, but as my daughter has been very careful too I think we should be ok.

Furret Thu 28-May-20 22:25:43

I agree that 8 is a much better number. Or we could operate a system like our local shops and queue up outside then 1 in and 1 out.

Furret Thu 28-May-20 22:26:19

Of course we all know why this has come about just now ...

MissAdventure Thu 28-May-20 22:35:33

I think I could hazard a guess.

grannyqueenie Thu 28-May-20 23:10:51

So I am not the only cynic on the timing then!

sharon103 Thu 28-May-20 23:17:00

I'm so pleased for you all smile
Enjoy your time together.

SueH49 Thu 28-May-20 23:21:40

As of Monday we (in Victoria Australia) can have 20 people in our homes. We are able to get together for our grandson's 4th birthday.

gillybob Thu 28-May-20 23:21:41

I think it’s all a load of b*ll*cks . I desperately want to see my DD and my baby granddaughter . How can anyone expect a 2 year old to observer social distancing ? angry

sharon103 Thu 28-May-20 23:52:11

Just an idea but could little children sit in a pushchair ( buggy)

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 00:21:17

I know what you mean gillybob; it's lovely to be able to see the little 'uns but what we're really desperate for is to hold them on our knees and cuddle them isn't it? My 3 year old GS stands back, looking awkward and shy, when he's been outside my house. Normally, he'd be climbing all over me. sad

Furret Fri 29-May-20 07:00:55

So what do you want the rules to be regarding grandchildren gillybobs?

Willow500 Fri 29-May-20 07:17:08

Glad I don't have little grandchildren over here - it will be very hard for people to push them away!

dragonfly46 Fri 29-May-20 07:19:35

You are all lucky - I am still in lockdown and will be for a long time ?

Calendargirl Fri 29-May-20 07:19:49

Good question Furret.

It’s accepted surely that social distancing will be necessary for some considerable time.

If it’s not possible to SD, then probably better not to meet up.

You can’t have it all ways.

Furret Fri 29-May-20 07:27:54

Calendargirl thank you.

Who was it said about negative people ‘They have a problem for every solution’? Einstein perhaps?

annifrance Fri 29-May-20 08:52:36

I spoke to my daughter on FB last night and we both still hoping that restrictions on travel to France and back will be lifted before the end of July. That is when both my D Ccs and all the DGCs are due to come. I haven't seen them all since October. Miss them but very glad we are all safe, healthy and living in wonderful rural areas so as a family recognise that we are so very, very, fortunate.

StellaStar Fri 29-May-20 08:53:05

I met my DiL and 2 grandchildren (3 and 18mths) on Tuesday. We met in a playing field and kept over 2m apart on separate picnic blankets. My GS (3) understood he couldn't go over to Nanna but my GD kept trying, so either I moved away or my DiL picked her up. It was difficult not being able to kiss or cuddle them but so lovely to be able to see them in the flesh for the first time since March. We will continue to meet in this way once a week. Our gardens are too small and it would be too hard to manage. We just have to adapt to the circumstances and be grateful we are still healthy.

Gingergirl Fri 29-May-20 08:58:54

I think it will be hard for young children to keep that distance-in fact too hard-and it hasn’t even be mentioned by the government really. They must know that gc will make contact with grandparents and that children will play together. My family live in another part of the country though so it’s unlikely that I will see them and am dreading this sunny weekend when the neighbours will be with family in the garden and we won’t. Hoping that will give us more space to go out somewhere without it being packed! And in these posts, also give a thought to all those people who are still in total lockdown due to medical conditions.

Sooze58 Fri 29-May-20 09:00:32

I have had a couple of socially distanced walks with my daughter & 2yr old grandson and I have been surprised how he has adapted to the distancing. It’s hard not hugging but because he has been told regularly when out to distance, he seems to accept that it is (sadly) the norm. My daughter even remarked that when queueing for a coffee at the park, he made no attempt to run off or move which would have never happened a few weeks ago! It’s quite sad really. I just want to have him back to look after once a week and considering the large number of people he would come into contact with at nursery and given that both our families have seen virtually no-one throughout the lockdown, I would have thought I was the safer option. I’m only 62 and fit & healthy btw.

Katyj Fri 29-May-20 09:00:46

Good to hear from Stella with a positive story. We’re meeting up with our grandchildren aged 2 and 5 on Monday the 5 year old will understand but can see it’s going to be difficult for the 2 year old. I’m trying to think of some games we could play at a distance. Any ideas ?

hicaz46 Fri 29-May-20 09:09:40

My daughter, partner and 2 GC live 80 miles away and so a visit would inevitably result in a need for the toilet. Who will ‘deep clean’ it after each use. If they come for BBQ what about crockery, cutlery. It is a dilemma that I don’t have an answer to and I’m still scared.