Gransnet forums

News & politics

HIGNFY

(33 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 07:08:19

Hislop absolutely lacerated the government.

He was brilliant.

Spoke for the whole of the country, except the Cummings and Johnson lovers of course.

The anger from them all was palpable.

Urmstongran Sat 30-May-20 07:15:02

Whatever floats your boat eh?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 07:18:57

Absolutely. It was brilliant.

Maitlis must feel vindicated.

But I suppose the whole programme will be taken down now at central offices orders

Oopsminty Sat 30-May-20 07:29:21

Anger?

They seemed to find the whole thing hilarious.

I'm a fan of HIGNFY but the lockdown format doesn't work for me. The laughter sounds very forced.

I did laugh at the nation's sweetheart description of Dominic Cummings though

Oopsminty Sat 30-May-20 07:30:41

And HIGNFY is a satirical programed

Not the news

So no need to worry about the show being taken off air

But I'm sure you know that WW2

yggdrasil Sat 30-May-20 07:46:06

laughter sounds forced because of the various delays in transmission. It is very slight, but noticeable

paddyanne Sat 30-May-20 08:00:32

I dont think it works as well in this format ,but Ian Hislop is brilliant at spot on one liners that make me laugh .If only there were more like him.

Furret Sat 30-May-20 08:11:35

Never did think Paul Merton was very funny but Ian Hislop is a master on one-liners and usually just nails it.

Sparklefizz Sat 30-May-20 08:29:45

I stopped watching it last year because it became so nasty and made me feel uncomfortable.

Furret Sat 30-May-20 08:56:15

That’s satire - definition “the use of humour, irony, exaggeration or ridicule to expose and criticise people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics or other topical issues”.

It’s not designed for comfort.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 09:07:51

I do agree that I haven’t liked the lockdown format though.

lemongrove Sat 30-May-20 09:14:42

I stopped watching years ago....it used to be able to combine
A waspish satire with some genuinely funny bits thrown around by Paul Merton.There came a point where even he looked uninterested in proceedings, the waspish satire became excruciating stings and a coarseness became the name if the game.I remember watching Martin Clunes as a presenter looking very embarrassed reading out some awful
Stuff, even the studio audience didn’t do more than a horrified titter.
A great shame, as an irreverent look at those in politics and in the news generally is to be welcomed.

Anniebach Sat 30-May-20 09:48:50

Satire is never kind

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 10:02:52

Satire goes way back in history though. It is sometimes the only tool the people have had. Especially where the government or monarch refuses to listen and tries to suppress criticism.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 10:04:23

If you look at the satire during the 18-19 century, what we have today is nothing compared to that.

People are a bit snowflaky today.

Jane10 Sat 30-May-20 10:13:14

I thought it was great! Hislop fairly 'went his dinger'! So much to lacerate about last week's revelations. Good on them.
PS I must say Paul's becoming a bit boring and predictable and, sad to say, not even funny any more but Ian's getting better every week.

henetha Sat 30-May-20 10:19:22

Last night's HIGNFY as one of the best ever. Ian Hislop was just brilliant. And I still like Paul Merton.
I wonder if Dominic Cummings watched it?

henetha Sat 30-May-20 10:20:28

Typo.... was NOT as

eazybee Sat 30-May-20 11:14:52

Didn't find it clever, satirical, waspish, amusing and certainly not lacerating; switched off halfway through the programme because it committed the cardinal sin: it was boring.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 11:16:50

eazybee??????

Daisymae Sat 30-May-20 11:18:10

I thought that it was excellent. The anger was real but points were made. The government have made themselves a laughing stock.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 30-May-20 11:30:44

Well I thought it was excellent, maybe the best ever. Ian Hislop usually has a go at something but usually ends up smiling. This time he appeared really angry with the Cummings for breaking lockdown and taking us for fools with his story.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 30-May-20 11:43:55

Laughter is often the best weapon.

So much laughter on social media over this.

Blinko Sat 30-May-20 11:49:47

I thought Hislop nailed it. Cummings and Johnson are are joke! I also think these 'new freedoms' are the anticipated 'dead cat' story. Brought forward to take the focus from the Barnard Castle fiasco. The whole thing's a disgrace and HIGNFY was spot on!

dolphindaisy Sat 30-May-20 12:35:43

I've been a fan of HIGNFY since it started, some episodes are funnier than others and it's always surprised me that some "comedian's" seem tongue tied on the programme. Admittedly the lockdown format isn't as funny as usual but Ian Hislop is brilliant at letting us know how he feels about the news, last night he was on great form, after all the serious discussions about DC he said in a few words what most of us think.