Gransnet forums

News & politics

Report on the economic impact of the double whammy of Covid and Brexit.

(22 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:24:15

This will unfortunately bring out all the Brexiters who just like those breaking lockdown won’t believe it will happen to them and they are somehow immune to its effects, but the report makes very sobering reading, and unless we extend the transition then the risk if no deal is almost certain.

t.co/sLz1hgR3g7?amp=1

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 07:27:45

Ah but if us Brexiteers don’t respond WWmk2 you’d be disappointed! It would be another echo chamber - everyone nodding and agreeing with you. Comforting maybe but a bit tedious for everyone to read!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:40:04

I welcome sensible responses, but the echo of “get brexit done” or anything else that fool Cummings has dreamed up that has somehow stopped critical thought, I find very disturbing.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 07:40:30

Have you read the report ug?

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 08:29:45

No, but I will in a minute Ww

Copy & paste from ‘The Brexit Billetin’ in the Telegraph yesterday:

‘Brussels accused the UK of “refusing to engage”, which is code for refusing to compromise. The British believe no compromise is necessary on certain red lines concerning national sovereignty and that such issues are binary.

This unbending attitude has ruffled feathers in Brussels. Mr Frost suggested to MPs that some in the EU were still struggling to understand that a major country not only wanted to leave the bloc but also have no entanglement in its institutions.

It is clear that a no trade deal exit from the transition period is closer to the UK’s vision of the future trading relationship than the EU’s.

“We have a spirit in the European Union to try and do a deal, but we’re not getting much traction from the United Kingdom negotiators to date,” Mr Hogan said. “Perhaps this is more strategy than substance, but we certainly need confidence-building measures in the next round of negotiations next week.”

So does Mr Hogan have a point when he accused the British of effectively giving up on the negotiations and resigning themselves to a no deal?

Not according to Mr Frost. He said Britain wanted a deal but he warned that there would be a tipping point when the Government had to recognise that failure was an option and switch its attention to preparing to trade on WTO terms.’

I think, as I’ve always said ‘No Deal’ needs to be on the table to focus minds. It will hit both sides hard. It ought to get them to negotiate better. We are leaving!

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 08:38:04

I clicked on your link Ww it’s bluddy wordy! A whole report. Sorry too long to want to read it all. I got the gist. It’s going to be ‘bad’.
So terrible.

Then I Googled ‘who are Best for Britain’?

Here from Wiki:

Best for Britain is a civil society campaign, launched on 26 April 2017, to stop Brexit and continue the UK's membership of the EU. Wikipedia
Founded: April 26, 2017
Chairperson: Mark Malloch Brown, Baron Malloch-Brown
Type of business: Civil society group
Chair: Mark Malloch Brown
Founders: Gina Miller, Stephen Peel.

Surprise surprise ‼️

Elegran Sun 31-May-20 09:07:58

Please believe it, Brexiteers when I say that since Brexit is now inevitable, it is essential that we negotiate sensibly to get the best deal we can, and that does not mean shouting loudly all the time that we were right and the rest of Europe was wrong and they are being nasty to us in spite.

The intervention of CoVid 19 has taken up six months of negotiating time already, and it will take another six months at least for everyone to get back up to speed with national and international relations. We really need to extend that negotiating deadline - and Westminster have been offered it but claimed not to have noticed the message They need to go back to the EU, apologise for that "oversight" and accept.

Yes, it givs activists longer to try to reverse the decision, but you have to take that risk. It ALSO gives longer to get a fair settlement - or isn't that an aim?

Glorybee Sun 31-May-20 09:18:29

Urmstongran- ???

GrannyGravy13 Sun 31-May-20 09:27:40

The EU have offered a one to two year extension and it comes with an extremely hefty price tag.

Barnier has written to all opposition leaders, Blair is still stirring.

Gina Miller is clutching at straws with this one.

I prefer a deal, but and it is a big but a deal has to benefit both sides I do think the EU negotiating team have begun to realise that the UK will not be pushed around.

Cindersdad Sun 31-May-20 09:32:09

You all know what I think about Brexit. Dominic Cummings was the prime mover behind Vote Leave, his sole aim was a total break with the EU for idealogical reasons irrespective of the consequences. There is no doubt that he has a sinister influence over the Johnson Government. People voted Leave for many different reasons, some have changed their minds and some have passed away, Remain voter demographic has similarly changed.

Recent behaviour of DC has shown the type of person he is and I feel cast considerable doubt on the viability of the type of Brexit he and the ERG are pushing. COVID though very pressing must not be allowed to provide a screen for a mishandled Brexit. An extension to the transition period is essential to allow time to adjust to the new world order.

Brexit is not over until the transition period is over, it can still be cancelled if there is political will on all sides.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 31-May-20 09:39:27

ug your reaction proves my point.

Grandad1943 Sun 31-May-20 09:51:15

Britain will emerge from the Covid crisis with as many as six million unemployed. To bring that number down businesses will require certainty so as to be able to rebuild Britains commercial infrastructure.

I am one that believed that the United Kingdom should have remained as a full member of the European Union. However, that is all now "water under the bridge" and the UK has now exited the European Union.

Therefore the last thing that British companies need on emerging from the Covid-19 crisis is further uncertainty in regard to the United Kingdoms trading position with the EU and the rest of the world.

Whether there is to be a deal or not is important, but uncertainty around that issue must be not allowed to go beyond December as it is in the interests of everone to be fully aware of what the trading regulations and rules will be, so all can go forward from there.

Nothing could be more damaging for the United Kingdom than to have the rest of the world emerging commercially from the Covid-19 crisis with having certainty around their trading positions to rebuild from, while Britain is "still dithering" in uncertainty in regard to its trading position with the EU and the rest of the globe.

Get it done, and no later than December, with or without a deal.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 31-May-20 09:57:03

Well said Grandad1943 Uncertainty is not what any business needs now.

Good news that Nissan is making Sunderland it’s European base.

25Avalon Sun 31-May-20 10:05:25

The social Economic Foundation has been described as “ A blairite pro market think tank”.
Keep on open mind on what you read.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:14:01

That announcement brought a huge huge sigh of relief from me GrannyGravy . There are so many tiered suppliers that trade off the back of the giant that is Nissan. This region would be decimated without them . Having said that from experience they are not the best people to do work for, as they hate parting with money .

I do fear for the automotive industry throughout the world.

lemongrove Sun 31-May-20 10:14:38

GG13 ?? Your posts are my posts.
The EU have to realise that things have changed here ( am sure they already do.) There is no longer the hope they had of reversing Brexit and the Conservative Party is in such a strong place now compare to how things were last year.
Yes, a deal that suits both sides is still best, but if not then trading on WTO terms is still better than a terrible deal for us.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 31-May-20 10:23:39

There was an article that I read last week (cannot remember which newspaper, will try to locate it) that stated despite Brexit and Covid-19 the UK had 30% of all new tech investment more than Germany and France combined.

Yes Gillybob I am afraid that the green lobbyists are trying to put the nail firmly in the automotive industry's coffin. Many of these automotive giants are having to totally rethink their strategies and turn to electric and hybrid models.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:30:43

If it weren’t so damned serious it would be laughable GrannyGravy . Since the Covid outbreak we have been told to avoid public transport, use your car its far safer .......

Only a few months previous we were told do not use your car they are polluting the world , use public transport .

The problem with electric cars is that the technology is not ready . Okay we can buy an overpriced electric car capable of getting us from A to B but not yet back to A . No thought for those of us living in terraced homes . Where would we plug the car in? Where would all the extra electricity come from ? How do we dispose of these batteries ?

All these questions and so many more.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 31-May-20 10:39:01

gillybob so true, there are many big companies looking for an enviroment friendly long life battery unfortunately the methods used in the manufacturing process is anything but enviromentally friendly

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:41:45

There is no such thing as an environmentally friendly battery !

We are all being fed a load of rubbish .

Urmstongran Sun 31-May-20 10:46:30

I don’t like to disappoint you Ww!
?

MerylStreep Sun 31-May-20 15:24:09

30% of all new tech investment. More than Germany and France combined
That's because we're so good at it. Also that was a big factor why companies never ever intended to go to Frankfurt or Paris. I'm sure we all remember those predictions from the doom mongerers, don't we. ?
If you've ever used the internet in Germany it's practically dialup compared to ours.
As for Nissan. Most of us who voted to leave knew which way that that was going to go.