Gransnet forums

News & politics

Battle of the Bean Field

(4 Posts)
Dinahmo Mon 01-Jun-20 18:00:36

Today is the 35th anniversary of the Battle of the Beanfield. It took place after a convoy of several hundred New Age travellers were trying to set up the Stonehenge Free Festival in Wiltshire.

Reading contemporary accounts it appears that the police rioted. Some of the hippies' vehicles were destroyed and pregnant women and some with babies were hit with truncheons etc.

I only went to one festival - at Richmond Athletic ground back in 1965 or 66 when Arthur Brown, wearing his flaming headgear, was swung onto the stage by a crane. I didn't like the idea of staying overnight in a campsite.

Anyway, I was wondering whether there are any GNers, younger than me, (aged 38 in 1985) who might have been there.

Deedaa Mon 01-Jun-20 20:05:04

All I know about the Battle of the Beanfield is The Levellers song.

The only festival I went to was the Cambridge Folk Festival in about 1967. My friend and I were very daring and camped the whole weekend. Trying to do the maths I think I'm a year older than you.

Dinahmo Mon 01-Jun-20 20:26:11

Deedaa Despite living in Suffolk for 20+ years we never got to the Cambridge Folk Festival. Several friends were regulars and thoroughly rated it.

I don't know the Levellers song. I don't actually remember the Battle of the Beanfield but a friend came round to do some work (much younger than us - in his fifties) and mentioned it to my OH who mentioned it to me. So I looked it up. It seem appropriate to mention it today, given what is happening in the US.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Jun-20 21:47:03

Massive Levellers fan here: I must check out their Facebook page to see if they’ve mentioned it.