Gransnet forums

News & politics

Keir Starmer’s patience has finally run out.

(106 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:14:55

Starmer has accused Johnson of what we all know to be true which is a collapse in public confidence over the handling of the coronavirus crises.

The main points of his argument are listed below.

*Johnson is “winging it” over the easing of the lockdown, (it is clear from posts on GN that many are uneasy about the easing).
* the timing of the latest decisions had been taken “to try to deflect attention away from the Cummings affair” ( something else GN was clear on I think a “dead cat” was mentioned)
*Johnson has to get a grip of the crises, Starmer went on to say that after a week or more of chaos and mismanagement that Johnson has simply succeeded in making a bad situation ten times worse.
* sStarmer had previously called for an exit strategy but what we have ended up with is an exit without a strategy.

We want to see schools ope, businesses back at work families seeing each other. But it is clear that across the country there is a growing concern that Johnson is now winging it, at precisely the time when it needs maximum public confidence.
* the collapse in confidence is undoubtedly the “Cummings Factor” - one rule for them and one rule for everyone else.
But the governments sudden and totally unexpected decision to lift shielding restrictions is another factor . This was done without any advanced notice, either to public health directors or GPS and in advance if adequate test and trace system being in place.
Schools are opening without wide consultation with teachers, parents and unions.

“Johnson has to get a grip”

If we see a sharp rise in the R rate, the responsibility for that falls squarely on the door of No 10.

Johnson has responded by saying he is going to take control ???

Alexa Wed 03-Jun-20 08:29:08

I don't know what winging it means but will look it up. It may mean based on thin air.

Found it! Urban Dictionary: winging it: to improvise with little preparation

Alexa Wed 03-Jun-20 08:32:47

To improvise with little preparation implies that in the case of Mr Johnson he has neglected available scientific facts.

Politicians are out of their depth in the case of this pandemic and therefore politicians should bow to the superior know;edge of respectable scientists.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:33:22

I think Starmer uses every word with thought. It’s his training.

Lucca Wed 03-Jun-20 08:38:00

Hi did you read this somewhere ? Just wondered if KS said or wrote it as I’d be interested to follow that up. Totally agree with him by the way.

Iam64 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:48:03

I read this in todays papers and yes, KS as ever, uses the right words to describe Johnson's behaviour. We have a PM who never was a details man, or someone who believed the normal rules of engagement apply to him. This at a time when we do need a PM who can keep hold of the details, analyse and make decisions in the best interests of the country.

I wanted to support the government when this crisis hit. We need to pull together and put unnecessary criticism aside. The confusion in planning, the pre recorded announcement from Mr Johnson two weeks ago on a Sunday evening, that the country would be returning to work the following day is one example of what feels like a total lack of a plan. Its not as though Mr J was asked in an interview and gave a spontaneous response, this was pre recorded. Then the next day, government spokespeople were saying, no we didn't mean today, we meant Wednesday. Why not suggest employees and employers spend the following week discussing how best work could be resumed

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 08:52:23

Yes it’s in the Guardian and on social media. The BBC also has it in their web site

Lucca Wed 03-Jun-20 08:55:13

Thank you

Daisymae Wed 03-Jun-20 14:14:35

Starmer challenged Johnson today in Parliament. Johnson does not like to be criticised. It's about time the government actions were held up to public scrutiny. Up until now almost the only person calling the government out has been Piers Morgan.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 03-Jun-20 14:22:47

It was great to see Boris having to talk like a grown up instead of his usually gruff and bluff. It really isn't going well.

Pantglas2 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:36:04

I laughed when Sir tried to blindside PM by reluctantly admitting to having written in complete confidentiality to PM offering his help with the schools return and he hadn’t even had a reply back.

Johnson then dropped him right in it by volunteering that he’d actually rung him to discuss the offer and Starmer had agreed on everything!

Corbyn would never have been so easily caught!

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 14:38:57

Yes, I noticed that Pantglas ....that didn’t really go Starmers way!
I thought Johnson was showing more spirit this week....probably feeling much better now.

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 14:46:57

Yes, much more encouraging!!?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:56:22

So many agree with this

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 15:01:10

The so called “one to one“ phone call Johnson said he made to Starmer. You might have guessed he was lying

The PM's spokesperson confirms that Johnson's recent phone call with Starmer, mentioned in PMQs, was with all opposition leaders, not a one-on-one

Oopsminty Wed 03-Jun-20 15:01:39

Johnson then dropped him right in it by volunteering that he’d actually rung him to discuss the offer and Starmer had agreed on everything!

That was quite incredible!

Looks like the old adage that all politicians lie, is true.

Diverting slightly, but can anyone tell me why Andy Burnham didn't stand in the Labour leadership battle?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 15:03:02

The letter Johnson didn’t answer

Orangerose Wed 03-Jun-20 15:08:47

Opps - he’s the Mayor of Manchester and not an MP now.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 15:09:39

I would be quite interested if someone could point out a single coherent sentence uttered by Johnson

Oopsminty Wed 03-Jun-20 15:10:59

Opps - he’s the Mayor of Manchester and not an MP now.

Ah, of course. Thanks Orangerose!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 15:12:08

Interesting question from May

Tom Newton Dunn
@tnewtondunn
·
Theresa May hurls a full frontal Brexit hand grenade at Boris Johnson. Asks him to guarantee that UK police and Border Force will still have access to EU passenger data after the transition period. Boris declines: “That depends on the outcome of our negotiations” #PMQs

Orangerose Wed 03-Jun-20 15:14:32

You are welcome Opps. I live in Manchester and he’s a very good Mayor.

Pantglas2 Wed 03-Jun-20 15:21:04

Two points - it’s not deemed ‘Private Correspondence’ if you copy anyone else in and any bog standard typist knows that a letter is only finished yours sincerely when the addressee is named.

I’ve got high hopes for young Starmer but he’s making silly mistakes already given his lawyering skills.

westendgirl Wed 03-Jun-20 15:53:32

I thought Johnson was mediocre, sidelining questions as usual as is the wont of the Conservative party. Reminded me a bit of a stand up , constantly looking round for baying approval every time he said something.

Grany Wed 03-Jun-20 16:14:58

His hair looks awful, unkempt, put comb through it, he looks a fright. Same as his approach to being PM frightful

Trump has funny hair too.