Gransnet forums

News & politics

Did people in Sunderland want this when they voted for a no-deal brexit?.

(90 Posts)
varian Wed 03-Jun-20 18:19:31

Britain’s largest car factory may still not have a future if the UK leaves the European Union without a trade deal in place, Nissan has stated.

The Japanese firm’s Sunderland plant, which employs 7000 workers and made 350,000 cars last year, received a boost last week when Nissan confirmed it is committed to making it the centre of its European production operations.

However, the company's global chief operating officer claims that it's still at risk if a no-deal Brexit occurs.

Ashwani Gupta told the BBC: “You know we are the number one car maker in the UK and we want to continue. We are committed. Having said that, if we aren't getting the current tariffs, it’s not our intention, but the business will not be sustainable. That’s what everybody has to understand”.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-sunderland-plant-%E2%80%9Cunsustainable%E2%80%9D-without-brexit-deal

varian Wed 03-Jun-20 18:23:07

I strongly suspect that most Leave voters in Sunderland, especially those employed by Nissan, were taken in by the promises of a great deal - not this impending disaster for them, their families, their community and the whole country.

Is there a single GransNet Leave voter who knowingly voted for this?

vampirequeen Wed 03-Jun-20 18:45:12

Sadly they believed the lies and over simplifications of the Leave Campaign.

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 19:50:04

The people in Sunderland voted ( some of them) for Brexit....there wasn’t a vote on a deal or a no deal with the EU vote.
Too early to say if there will be a deal or not, and too early to say that Nissan will be pulling out.

varian Wed 03-Jun-20 19:57:39

So do you think these leave voters will all welcome a no-deal brexit if it means losing their jobs at Nissan or at all the other businesses dependent on Nissan?

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 20:07:11

No idea what voters in Sunderland want, but they voted of their own free accord.
Instead of spreading doom varian which you have done for the last four years on here, why not adopt the policy of wait and see what happens.
The Nissan bosses are saying they need a deal with the EU to stay here as a way of leaning on the government.It makes life easier for them if we leave with a deal, but that doesn’t mean they will definitely go if we don’t.

varian Wed 03-Jun-20 20:29:25

So you would be happy with a no-deal brexit then lemon? Is that really what you voted for?

growstuff Wed 03-Jun-20 20:36:56

Hmmm, so making a profit = making life easier? That's what businesses do.

70% of the cars manufactured in Sunderland go to the EU. WTO terms would put a 10% tariff on them. The European market for small/medium cars is already highly competitive.

Nissan has already decided to scale back its European operation with the Nissan brand and concentrate on manufacturing/selling Renaults in Europe.

It won't take much to persuade the Nissan bosses to close the Sunderland plant.

vampirequeen Wed 03-Jun-20 21:07:08

They may have voted of their own accord but many were convinced by lies. £350 for the NHs is a case in point. They stuck it on the side of a bus and all, including Boris Johnson, had photos taken in front of it. Let's be honest who wouldn't want all that extra money for the NHS but it was never going to happen. Dominic Cummings was the brains behind the Leave campaign and we all know how honest and trustworthy he is.

Nannarose Wed 03-Jun-20 21:57:17

I seem to remember that Nissan did inform their workers that this might happen. How much that influenced them, i don't know, and I'm not sure if we know how the Nissan workers voted, generally.

People voted Leave or Remain for a wide variety of reasons and I dislike the stereotyping on both sides.

MayBee70 Wed 03-Jun-20 22:03:06

The leave leaflet stated that if we left the EU Nissan would definitely still stay in Sunderland. Nissan were going to sue over this I believe, but nothing came of it. Not sure what happened.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jun-20 22:05:56

Nissan are closing their plant in Barcelona, Spain is still in the EU?

growstuff Wed 03-Jun-20 22:43:50

Yes, Nissan is closing its plant in Barcelona, As I just mentioned, it's stepping back from the Nissan brand name in Europe and focusing on Renault, which is part of the same group. None of the Barcelona production is being transferred to Sunderland. There have been a number of articles in the business media. While Sunderland's output is sold mainly in the EU, WTO tariffs would push it over the edge.

vegansrock Thu 04-Jun-20 06:00:48

The French government own part of a Renault/ Nissan.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 07:23:26

It won’t be long before someone is screaming one of Cummings sound bites

“Project Fear”

Cindersdad Thu 04-Jun-20 08:20:59

I met a Remain voter from the North East. The mindset in the North East in 2016 was kick David Cameron as a Tory. They felt neglected and overlooked so they were agianst the EU because David Cameron was for the EU. They did not think the problem through properly. When Brexit really bites they will return to Labour as will other voters who could not abide Jeremy Corbyn's hard left Labour or did not vote at all. Cummings used his manipulative skills to con the disaffected even though he and his kind made them disgruntled. Cummings, Johnson and co. will eventually face the wrath of the nation they have tricked.

In the meantime only Parliament and to a lesser extent the media can influence the powers that be. They HAVE TO COUNTRY BEFORE PARTY.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 05:52:55

You know about American meat and the poor welfare conditions under which it suffers as live animals?

And you know that people have said if you don’t like it don’t buy it?

We aren’t going to have that choice.

This is the plan

Here's another "Brexit gain":

1) USA wants unlabelled meat in the UK so they can foist their shit chicken on us

2) but if only US meat is unlabelled..that means we can spot their shit food

3) so..with our "increased sovereignty", the US will lobby for ALL meat to be unlabelled

growstuff Fri 05-Jun-20 06:19:09

You won't know what kind of meat you're eating in schools, hospitals, take-aways or processed foods such as pies.

PS. Not sure what this has to do with the North East.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:22:19

growstuff? nothing except presumably some eat meat.

Hetty58 Fri 05-Jun-20 06:45:50

growstuff, the simple answer is to avoid eating it:

www.peta.org/features/are-humans-supposed-to-eat-meat/

growstuff Fri 05-Jun-20 07:42:50

You might not be able to avoid eating animal products, even if you don't eat meat:

“In the US, producers adhere to a “Defects Levels Handbook,” which sets out the maximum number of foreign bodies like maggots, insect fragments and mould that can be in food products before they are put on the market.

“For example, US producers are allowed to include up to 30 insect fragments in a 100g jar of peanut butter; as well as 11 rodent hairs in a 25g container of paprika; or 3mg of mammalian excreta (typically rat or mouse excrement) per each pound of ginger.”

www.businessinsider.com/rat-hairs-and-maggots-may-warned-of-reality-of-us-brexit-trade-deal-2018-10?r=UK

Mmmm! Yummy! Takes the idea of seasoning to a whole new level.

growstuff Fri 05-Jun-20 07:48:32

And our lovely government voted not to guarantee food standards in the Agriculture Bill:

www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2020/05/13/Agriculture-Bill-MPs-don-t-back-import-standards-call

Grandad1943 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:00:15

Whether the present situation is what the electorate of the North East wanted or not is irrelevant.

Brexit is done, and with a conservative eighty seat majority in parliament, that decision will be in no way overturned. For better or for worse we all must go forward from the above, with or without a trade agreement in December.

All should accept that situation and then the country can work towards making the best from what that circumstance is.

Continuing to fight old lost battles resolves nothing.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:20

Food poisoning data:

One in six people in the US get food poisoning each year.

In the UK it's one in sixty. At the moment...

I am getting more and more upset that things that have been predicted ever since the Leave vote, which were dismissed as 'Project Fear' on this forum, are turning into Project Reality. Food standards effectively done away with and loss of food trade with the EU as we'll never be able to prove that our foods aren't contaminated with American crap. The NHS being further broken up and privatised.

It'll be employment and workers rights next as unemployment hits unprecedented highs as a result of C19 and people will accept any terms and conditions in desperation.

The utter stupidity of destroying our economy, health and wellbeing for the sake of lies on the side of a bus and illegally paid for 'dark adverts' continues to depress and anger me.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jun-20 08:11:57

It isn’t an old battle grandad Truss is negotiating the introduction of this poor welfare meat.

I for one will do everything in my power to avoid eating it, and I suspect there are a lot of people who feel the same both for health reason. (The incidents of salmonella is far higher in the USA than the uk) and for animal welfare reasons..

I am a meat eater, but because of both reasons I only eat meat every third day now and purchase directly from a West Country farmer, who farms organically and all the animals are primarily grass fed. Each animal at slaughter is killed in the most stress free way that is possible. (Very early in the morning, having travelled a couple of miles to the abattoir, and the only animal entering a completely clean room)

I think if you eat meat and animals unwillingly give their lives, then it is up to me to ensure as good as life and death as is possible.

None of the animals from the USA will have been shown that respect.