Gransnet forums

News & politics

Madeleine McCann suspect

(196 Posts)
Lilypops Wed 03-Jun-20 23:24:08

The news tonight. A German prisoner has been linked to the disappearance of Madeleine, and is a murder suspect, I felt so upset hearing that , Her parents have always held out hope that she may be found alive after all this time.
This news if proven may bring closure they have needed but it’s just so sad.

Jishere Wed 03-Jun-20 23:35:57

I think that is what their statement said it will give them some peace of mind. So terribly sad.

morethan2 Wed 03-Jun-20 23:41:42

The whole episode is just so very very sad. Those poor suffering parents, that poor little girl.

tanith Thu 04-Jun-20 07:39:50

It’s very odd to me that all of a sudden they have his name and pics of his car and van. I do hope they come to some kind of conclusion for that poor family.

BlueBelle Thu 04-Jun-20 07:51:34

I hope one way or another it is solved and this poor family can have some peace and That it won’t this won’t revive all the malice and vitriol against them
If this little one is dead which seems highly likely I hope it was quick and she didn’t suffer a long extended capture at the hand# if a perverted murderer

EllanVannin Thu 04-Jun-20 08:00:30

In 2013, included in police suspects were two men who, it couldn't be decided if they were Dutch or German, were included in 250 photo-fit pics.
One of them was the focus of a police hunt last year.

Lilypops Thu 04-Jun-20 08:01:27

Bluebelle , my thoughts too , I can’t imagine the fear she must have felt, it will bring it all up again for her parents though I am sure they think of it every minute,
I can’t understand if he was imprisoned for another attack why the police couldn’t pin him on Madeleine,s disappearance at the same time ,

Grammaretto Thu 04-Jun-20 09:18:08

Why did it take so long?
Someone must have been shielding him.
Surely the police of both UK and Portugal with over £10 m couldn't have been that incompetent.
So many conspiracy theories over these years with the parents under attack.
In a way I am glad that the parents are still around and can get some closure. I feel sad for those who don't.

I think this must surely be the real villain

annecordelia Thu 04-Jun-20 09:19:35

Truly horrible. There was always a faint hope that she had been snatched for an illegal adoption somewhere, but that seems unlikely now. As others have said, whatever happened to the poor little thing, I hope it was quick. I couldn't sleep last night for thinking about her, about Sarah Payne, Carl Bridgewater and other poor children over the decades. I have a 10 year old of my own in addition to my 3 grandchildren. I have been letting him out on his own on his bike during the lockdown but I am always worried sick. I know he has to become independent. My older children are in their thirties and I don't remember worrying so much about them when they were young...

Grammaretto Thu 04-Jun-20 09:19:50

I wonder if lockdown had anything to do with this?

TerriBull Thu 04-Jun-20 09:22:16

Yes why has it taken so long! Little Madeleine would/will be 17 now shock

How awful for her poor parents to have lived with this agony for so many years, her mother in particular always looked haunted. I too hope they can get some answers

Canklekitten Thu 04-Jun-20 09:23:05

The McCanns have suffered a lot of abuse over the years and negative reports. There have been many theories about their involvement in Maddies disappearance and books written about them.

I'm just wondering how many on here still think they had something to do with it?

craftyone Thu 04-Jun-20 09:23:17

maybe they have some proof, dna or he said something, we can only guess. I hope very much that the parents get some closure and soon. The suspect was jailed for raping a 72 year old woman

Teddy123 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:30:55

Let's just all pray that he at least agrees to discuss it.
I heard on the news that he's not talking.

Cankelkitten: I've never thought the McCanns had anything to do with it.

There's no physical evidence such as DNA as the apartment had so many police trampling through etc etc. The abduction site wasn't protected.

I don't know how they face each day ???

oliversnana Thu 04-Jun-20 09:31:46

I live very close to the McCanns and seeing them on occasion they are nit the people they once were i'm sure. It is a very sad but preventable situation.
canklekitten i was one who thought that but like i say i have seen them. Still have slight suspicion as to them though.

harrigran Thu 04-Jun-20 09:32:48

Every year, just as the holiday season starts, the police seem to find another suspect that did not come to light at the time of the incident.
If this suspect is a paedophile then rape of a 72 year old does not really fit his MO.
I do hope this whole sorry case is brought to a conclusion now.

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:34:52

Yes I have seen them out and about and do not think for one minute they had anything to do with it. The whole situation is extremely tragic.

catta5 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:38:18

Nothing will get away from he fact that they left their children on their own and went away from their Villa? and it was not the first time and that fact they will have to live with for the rest of their lives

Pantglas2 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:43:20

I thought that Harrigran. The profilers wouldn’t usually connect a man who would rape an old woman with a paedophile would they?

lemsip Thu 04-Jun-20 09:43:44

I am so disgusted that people on here are bringing up the suggestion that the McCanns were involved in their little girls disappearance again hiding behind made up names!
Does anyone remember one of the many disgraceful trolls who committed suicide when her true identity was discovered by the press and her face and name there for all to see that she was a churchgoing 'nice' lady hiding behind a made up name, she killed herself with shame because her family were disgusted with her!

songstress60 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:47:08

All that money has been spent on Madeliene McCann, but NOTHING was spent on looking for that other toddler, Ben Needham. He disappeared too, but there was very little publicity regarding his disappearance. Why? It's all because Madeliene came from a middle class professional family. No other missing child has had so much public money spent on investigating her disappearance.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 04-Jun-20 09:48:08

Yes catta5 we know they left their children on their own and without a doubt many do and continue to do and not only when on holiday .

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:50:37

songstress that maybe true but it doesn’t make it any less tragic and it is still unsolved ironically they now know what happened to Ben.

Canklekitten Thu 04-Jun-20 09:54:14

My heart bleeds for that little girl and we will never know what she went through on the evening her parents - both well educated intelligent people, left her in that bedroom with her 2 younger siblings.
I can never forgive them for that.

I believe this is just more news pushed to the forefront of the tabloids to take our minds off other issues.

I have no pity for either Gerry or Kate and they will live with their guilt for the rest of their days.

Time softens peoples memories but if you look at some of the news footage and interviews with the parents I believe they know what happened on that fateful night. Kate always appears slightly afraid that she might say something to incriminate them and Gerry is unable to hide his arrogance.

As far as I am concerned far too much police time and money has been spent on this.

May Maddie rest in peace wherever she is

Pippa22 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:58:36

Even if Madeline were still alive she would have had such a different life to her family that she would hardly be their child. To return to the family in England would be too traumatic if she has been with another family in another country all these years. Unfortunately though I think she is not alive and was killed soon after kidnap. There was so much press attention that surely if alive would have been found.