Gransnet forums

News & politics

Unforgivable

(66 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 05-Jun-20 12:31:00

Have you watched this video footage of the American police and their inhumane actions against an elderly man on the streets If America 2020
www.yahoo.com/huffpost/buffalo-police-push-protester-032541739.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=1_04
The gentleman is in hospital and seriously ill
The arrogant disregard by the police is something so un believable that you cannot believe it’s happening in any country let alone a so called world leader in

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jun-20 12:41:56

I have watched it several times BlueBelle it is quite unbelievable that human life whatever colour is apparently worthless in the USA.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jun-20 13:39:52

I am surprised no other posters have an opinion on your OP BlueBelle

MissTree Fri 05-Jun-20 13:45:56

This is truly shocking . What surprised me most was the way the police following on after the one who pushed him gave him a brief glance. Isn’t it instinctive to check on him ?

oodles Fri 05-Jun-20 13:47:42

no respect for human life, it's despicable

SueDonim Fri 05-Jun-20 14:30:30

It’s appalling and particularly so in that they at first lied about it, saying he tripped over. These people must think we’re stupid, that we can’t see what’s in front of our eyes.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 05-Jun-20 14:56:21

America seems such a horrible country which sells its make-believe image of glamour, 'hipness' and money which is based on what? Nothing very much. So much worse under Trump.

paddyanne Fri 05-Jun-20 14:57:01

Police Scotland had a visit from some American officers a couple of years ago,on a normal Saturday night in Glasgow the visitors joined officers in the mini bus as they travelled round the city .One inebriated weegie tried to talk the officer into giving him a lift home and the officer joined in some banter with the drunk.

The American police said if he had spoken to me like that he'd have been on his face on the ground with his arm up his back and my gun at his head...of course they were already astonished our police dont carry guns

.When they went home there was an article about Police Scotland in the Washington Post about how they diffuse situations and not inflame them.Shame they didn't actually learn something from it .We are exceptionally lucky with how the police force is run here shame many dont see it.

AGAA4 Fri 05-Jun-20 15:34:51

This was really shocking. How can anyone treat an elderly man like that? Then just walk on seeing he was bleeding.

The police in the USA need some serious retraining if they believe violent behaviour is acceptable from them.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jun-20 15:46:41

I can't watch anything like that it makes me feel ill. When it was on the news this morning I went into the back kitchen in case it showed it.

Thugs and bullies in the force. Get rid of them both here and around the world.
You can't fight violence with violence, ever.

felice Fri 05-Jun-20 15:54:24

I saw that and felt quite sick, also when some tried to help him and were moved on by a very officious looking officer.
Horrible.

seacliff Fri 05-Jun-20 16:02:01

It is just awful, how often this sort of thing apparently happens, citizens should be able to trust the police to do the right thing. This gives all police a bad name. No wonder there is such unrest in the USA.

If it weren't for people capturing the truth on their mobile phones , the police would deny it happened like that. They'd stick up for each other, and say they were just defending themselves. There must be very many instances where the truth never came out.

Willow500 Sat 06-Jun-20 07:02:26

I've just seen it this morning - totally appalling! How could anyone just walk past like that. It looked like someone was taking photos too instead of helping which is just as bad. The poor man was obviously seriously injured. I hope he recovers.

silverlining48 Sat 06-Jun-20 07:09:48

I saw it and it made me sick. Police behaviour was Appalling. This would not have been known about without the video evidence. I hope those concerned are dealt with and the elderly victim recovers.

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Jun-20 07:17:07

I heard on the radio this week that police in the USA are mostly trained to be "warriors". They are trained to see everyone as a threat to police.
Apparently their advertising stresses the strength and power of the police and glorifies the warrior aspects of the job.

Now they are trying a new system of de-escalation in some areas. These are beginning to reap rewards with lower violent confrontations, lower deaths by police officers and lower deaths of police officers. In some areas the governors (think that's who - maybe some American Gransnetter can help out here), are delivering the de-escalation as standard but the police "old guard" are promoting and pushing the "warrior" training as a "necessary extra".

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 07:18:45

I disagree willow without this video we wouldn’t know and there is no way a person could have got through that group of burly police line to assist that man they would have been down there with him or worse
But this kind of thing is happening so regularly, they are outside the law They are trained to ‘shoot first ask questions after‘ I was told exactly this by an American in U.K. who genuinely thought that this was the correct approach

ladymuck Sat 06-Jun-20 07:23:46

It was fortunate that it happened right in front of a camera, so there can be no denying what happened.
There are a lot of American police dramas on tv, which always portray the police as 'your friendly neighbourhood policeman'. Now we know differently.

Bathsheba Sat 06-Jun-20 07:31:29

Truly shocking. Not just the way he was pushed with no care for the consequences, but the total indifference to the victim's injuries. Not one of the officers stopped to check if he was OK, not one of them stayed with him until an ambulance arrived. What appalling disregard for human life.

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Jun-20 07:35:25

BlueBelle - I think a photographer is taking photos tight at the end.

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-Jun-20 07:35:43

*right at the end

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 07:55:20

apple.news/AYOzBZWHCR6aZG6iUkw9-

Ginny42 Sat 06-Jun-20 07:57:39

Yes the scenes from the USA are shocking in the extreme, but the attitude is coming directly from Trump in the White House. Listen to him directing the police to treat the peaceful demonstrators as terrorists.

In a call to State governors he told them they would look like “jerks” if they did not toughen their response to protesters.

Police used tear gas and flash grenades to disperse a crowd so Trump could walk to a church and pose for photographs while holding a Bible outside the boarded-up church. Are they the actions of a sane person?

The President should surely be trying to calm things down.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 07:57:52

.....And on full pay I m incensed by it

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 07:59:58

If someone doesn’t put Trump in a straight jacket soon
His latest rant whilst congratulating the good economy of the US he said ( not a direct copy of his words ) George will be happy he ll be looking down and will be so happy for the country

Gingster Sat 06-Jun-20 08:00:47

And the whole police unit have resigned as they are disgusted the officers concerned have been suspended. WTH ?