Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Meghan expecting a cut?

(150 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 19:07:37

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8479779/Meghan-claims-Britain-profit-wedding-Prince-Harry.html

I didn't realise she was starring in a blockbuster. I wonder how Harry feels about his wedding day now?

Reading down the list of expenditure I was struck by £90,000 being spent on silver plated trumpets to announce the event!

Only silver plated?? grin

Sparklefizz Wed 01-Jul-20 19:22:01

shock !!!!!

maddyone Wed 01-Jul-20 19:32:16

I wouldn’t have thought Meghan has a clue about how much money was either made or spent on her wedding. I would be extremely surprised if Britain had made a billion pounds due to her wedding. It was not an important wedding for the UK. William and Catherine’s wedding was the important one with visiting Heads of State from all over the world attending. Meghan and Harry had no Heads of State at their wedding, apart from the Queen of course. It was a wedding for the family and Meghan’s celebrity guests.

MaizieD Wed 01-Jul-20 20:21:08

Oh, not abloodygain!

Can't you put stuff like this on Chat?

Iam64 Wed 01-Jul-20 20:25:07

Excellent point MaizieD - this is hardly news or politics

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 20:32:37

Dear Thread Police, If you don't want to read this thread, don't read it. You are not forced to read everything that crops up in News and Politics.

Sorry if it's beneath you. I'm sick of some of the same old stuff about Covid and Brexit but I don't go on the threads telling folk where to stick put it!

When I first joined Gransnet there was a thread called 'In the News' and another for 'Politics'

It's not my fault they decided to lump them together so why not complain to HQ?

Namsnanny Wed 01-Jul-20 20:53:52

Why does it bother you where this is posted? confused

I suppose it centres around what one thinks should be considered 'news'.

GagaJo Wed 01-Jul-20 20:53:56

Whatever will the nazi paper find to write about once MM and C19 are old news?

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 20:57:01

I really couldn't say, GagaJo but whatever it is, the 'nose in the air' brigade will have something to sniff about.

Namsnanny Wed 01-Jul-20 20:57:40

A quick look at the forum titled news and politics, and there is a thread named Dead Ringers.
Not a problem for me but does it constitute news in your definition?

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 21:01:16

Ah but is it about Harry and Meghan, Nansammy?

It could be about a donkey's hind leg but that wouldn't matter so long as the thread police approve. [hhm]

Anniebach Wed 01-Jul-20 21:13:20

It is news, a newspaper being sued is news.

Namsnanny Wed 01-Jul-20 21:13:44

maddyone ... I think MM would have a very good understanding of their financial affairs.

They both seem to have secured employment for the future.

But to be honest I am speculating. smile

Anniebach Wed 01-Jul-20 21:16:42

How can she prove the UK gained a billion ?

Namsnanny Wed 01-Jul-20 21:16:42

Well exactly Anniebach!

maddyone Wed 01-Jul-20 23:22:24

With the greatest respect Namsnanny I disagree. I don’t think Meghan knew or cared about how much her wedding cost the country, and I shouldn’t think she has the first clue about how much money the country may have made, because it’s impossible to calculate. Who knows how many people stayed at hotels because of her wedding, or ate in restaurants, or bought a hamburger from a van. It’s simply impossible to know.
Meghan knows very well however, just how much money she spent on clothes in her short time as a royal, and apparently it was far, far more than any other royal lady during the same time span. Prince Charles paid for her clothes, so it would be up to him to object if he felt she was taking advantage. But that’s not what we’re discussing, we’re discussing whether or not Meghan knows how much the country may have benefited from her wedding. I believe she doesn’t know, and doesn’t really care. My opinion, I won’t change it.

MawB Wed 01-Jul-20 23:34:33

Namsnanny

A quick look at the forum titled news and politics, and there is a thread named Dead Ringers.
Not a problem for me but does it constitute news in your definition?

The “news” element was that it was back.
The “politics” element is that it is a Radio 4 programme which satirises politicians.

Callistemon Wed 01-Jul-20 23:36:19

merlotgran, yes, silver plated is always best for trumpets because solid silver trumpets would be much too heavy and pure silver is soft and bends.
We wouldn't have wanted the occasional duff note!

wink

merlotgran Wed 01-Jul-20 23:44:43

The “news” element was that it was back.
The “politics” element is that it is a Radio 4 programme which satirises politicians

Well, lucky you for not being pounced on by the thread police, Maw

Calendargirl Thu 02-Jul-20 06:56:02

No matter which thread it’s on, a welcome change from you know what.

eazybee Thu 02-Jul-20 07:15:06

How tawdry.
Pricing the value of their wedding.
What a money-grubbing pair they are.

Sparklefizz Thu 02-Jul-20 07:51:55

Actually I read somewhere yesterday (although not sure where, so don't jump on me) that one source of conflict was that Charles and William were annoyed with Harry over his huge spending on himself and Meghan even before the wedding, (£6,000 on acupuncture) and also after, with a very expensive "babymoon".

Lollin Thu 02-Jul-20 08:15:31

Callistemon now that is interesting, regarding silver plated being best for trumpets rather than solid silver. Once again it just goes to show, we are never too old to learn something new.

MawB Thu 02-Jul-20 08:20:54

merlotgran

^The “news” element was that it was back.^
The “politics” element is that it is a Radio 4 programme which satirises politicians

Well, lucky you for not being pounced on by the thread police, Maw

Well I think I feel well and truly pounced on by Namsnanny now!

merlotgran Thu 02-Jul-20 08:25:28

Royal fanfares are nothing new so why £90,000?

Is this the first time their trumpets have been silver plated? hmm

Or maybe her Maj said, 'Get yer own, you're not having mine!' grin