Gransnet forums

News & politics

A Terrific Victory. Excellent news from Australia

(65 Posts)
Grany Sat 11-Jul-20 13:43:23

Palace letters to be released in full next week

BREAKING: First of the #PalaceLetters has been released!

www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/a-terrific-victory-palace-letters-to-be-released-in-full-next-week-20200709-p55aj5.html?fbclid=IwAR2IC8ikuFMyCmOk9ddx5AB1lIXTvZdpoMgmgsSyR5xq_Oyz3G5iDAfONt4

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 14:09:18

I look forward to the cavalry riding to the defence.

Grany Sat 11-Jul-20 14:12:43

Well not a good year for RF Queen wanted these letters kept secret. M&H leaving amd PA wanted by FBI to give his version of events ha.

Still they have had massive increase in SG so money wise doing very well indeed.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 14:15:38

It will almost certainly blow a hole in the pathetic myth that all she is is a figurehead. Why on earth does Australia want her as Head of State? It’s just like PC writing to Ministers in secret and influencing legislation and planning.

EllanVannin Sat 11-Jul-20 14:21:34

They're stuffed if a court order isn't granted. It does happen.

Grany Sat 11-Jul-20 14:27:40

Well there is a republican movement there, though only about 20% know the Queen is their head of State. And in New Zealand BREAKING: First of the #PalaceLetters has been released! ?
In all seriousness, we need a more open and transparent head of state. Under New Zealand's Official Information Act, the #PalaceLetters would never see the light of day. It's time for that to change.

lemongrove Sat 11-Jul-20 14:45:33

Are you living in NZ Grany?
Must say I have no interest at all in these letters.

MawB Sat 11-Jul-20 14:54:35

I suppose if other heads of state have had the freedom to express their views about Britain, the Monarchy et al it might be interesting to hear the other side of the story?
I’d like to read Prince Philips views grin

Rufus2 Sat 11-Jul-20 15:28:40

Well there is a republican movement there
Grany Where are you? You write as if you're not "there", but somewhere else, reinforced by "their Head of State".
Ours too! She represents class and our Republican movement has no chance! smile

Anyone interested in opening up that Sydney Morning Herald URL? If so, I'd be interested in your comments on the adv for bed covers.! I'm in the market, itching to spend my OAP Govt. handout and without wishing to appear patronising, I'd value a lady's view! wink
Thank you.

Grany Sat 11-Jul-20 15:31:15

Well Queen is our Head of State too it's interesting it's part of history what happened and cover up.

For those who are asking - who cares?
This case went all the way, on appeal, to the full bench of the High Court.
Not "just" a single judge, the full bench of 7 Justices.
To get there, it has to go through the lower Courts and the Courts of Appeal.Then seeking leave for High Court, then the High Court hearing(s) themselves.
So who cares? The current L/LNP Government cares enough to fund this case and not abandon it.

Total cost - I can't see much change out of $1.5 to $2 million bucks at least, and probably lots more on-costs.

And what does that say about what we'll get to read next week.
Clearly something more than a little embarassing to come.

Right through this process (years), this very same L/LNP Government has been squealing about debt and deficit, responsible economic management, etc, yet throwing mega-bucks at wanting to keep something away from public gaze..........

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 17:18:23

The fact that the Palace was instrumental in dismissing a democratically elected government should shock all of us. I remember it did me at the time.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 17:20:03

But then, being left of centre I actually believe in democracy and not the power derived from birth. Yes, odd I know.

Grany Sat 11-Jul-20 17:42:30

Agree with what you you said suziewoozie

Eloethan Sat 11-Jul-20 21:17:14

I have a great deal of interest in these letters. I too was shocked when Whitlam was sacked.

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 21:58:31

Clearly the monarchical right wing think that the Queen colluding in the fall of a democratically elected government is fine and/or of little import. But then she also granted the illegal prorogation of Parliament last year. Her and her family aren’t really all that convinced that the rule of law applies to them are they? The Whitlam Government btw did thoroughly dreadful things like abolish conscription, removed Australian forces from Vietnam, introduced universal health insurance, ended the discriminatory provisions of this ‘white Australia policy’ and abolished tertiary education fees. Serve them right that she got rid of the ( and then colluded in making sure her role was covered up - well that eventually went well didn’t it?)

Grany Sun 12-Jul-20 06:26:09

Very well put suziewoozie The Whitman government changed lives for the better for all Australians.

I would like to see the letters.

Spice101 Sun 12-Jul-20 06:43:05

Personally I don't believe it is a "terrific victory" or "Excellent news from Australia" - Yes I live in Australia

There may well have been an issue at the time but there is IMO nothing to be gained except political points by releasing the letters. I doubt that there is a government in the world that can put their hand up and say everything they did was above board. The only people that think there is anything to be achieved by releasing these letters is those that would be pleased to show the Queen in a bad light.

In this time of unrest I don't think we need any more and it will not change anything. Still perhaps the media have run their course with coronavirus and are looking for a new horse to flog.

grandMattie Sun 12-Jul-20 06:59:05

I met John Kerr. Was introduced when at Uni in WA, very urbane and pleasant man. No idea what he was like as politician.

suziewoozie Sun 12-Jul-20 07:19:56

Wow Spice just wow. This is about the fundamental concept of democracy and the role of an unelected monarch in bringing down a government and wanting to keep her unacceptable behaviour quiet. If it were all fine and dandy why have they fought for years not to let us know? The fact is the monarchy still interferes in the democratic process and they don’t want us to have reason to discuss that, do they?

Eloethan Sun 12-Jul-20 09:13:41

The role of the queen has been characterised as very largely a symbolic and ceremonial one. It is always stressed that the royal family is neutral in political terms.

However, we have already had the case of Charles trying to influence political policy in a number of areas. This includes efforts to intervene in matters concerning the Church and the judiciary in seeking support for a man who was subsequently convicted of sexual offences against minors.

Though the issue with Gough Whitlam was back in the 70's it is obviously important and relevant because we still have the same system of covert power and authority. As it appears the correspondence was intended to be kept secret, that is even more reason why the public at large should see its contents.

MawB Sun 12-Jul-20 09:26:09

Grany

Very well put suziewoozie The Whitman government changed lives for the better for all Australians.

I would like to see the letters.

Do you mean Gough Whitlam ?

Grany Sun 12-Jul-20 09:43:36

"Do you mean Gough Whitlam ?" That's correct Yes I do MawB

Sparklefizz Sun 12-Jul-20 10:18:25

I don't remember any of it from 1975. I was too busy have a baby.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 12-Jul-20 10:29:50

I was a teenager, far too busy having fun.

Anniebach Sun 12-Jul-20 10:32:58

The Queen signs her letters ‘yours etc’ !