Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Police Officer ..

(41 Posts)
rosecarmel Mon 13-Jul-20 07:37:12

caught on video kneeing the neck of a man- First he uses his hand, applying his body weight, then shifts position and switches to using his knee-

It occurred on the sidewalk in front of a hospital- The unidentified woman recording the event was asked to leave by a nurse that was watching the man being apprehended ..

www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2020/07/allentown-police-investigating-video-of-officer-with-knee-on-mans-neck.html

rosecarmel Mon 13-Jul-20 07:41:21

Here is the full video

m.facebook.com/100006346833904/videos/2619139634974239/

Furret Mon 13-Jul-20 08:09:02

Unbelievable. There was absolutely no need as the man was already restrained. And almost as bad, a white nurse ordering a black woman to stop filming,

Animals.

silverlining48 Mon 13-Jul-20 08:19:43

Presumably there was trouble in the hospital and the person had to be r3moved, though that should never be an excuse to use excessive force.
I understand American police to be a scary lot, more force than service. No laughing and joking around with them. Ours have their faults, but i know which I prefer.

JenniferEccles Mon 13-Jul-20 16:43:04

What is the point of getting outraged about this from just seeing a very brief video?

We have no idea why the man was being restrained.
He could have been violent and threatening to people in the hospital, endangering lives.

We would need to see what happened in or outside the hospital before passing any comment.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-20 17:08:21

Police policy from the force where this happened, banned the use of any neck restraint earlier this month, I think.

So, pretty damning, I would say, whatever the circumstances.

Summerlove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:12:29

JenniferEccles

What is the point of getting outraged about this from just seeing a very brief video?

We have no idea why the man was being restrained.
He could have been violent and threatening to people in the hospital, endangering lives.

We would need to see what happened in or outside the hospital before passing any comment.

Why be out raged? Because of the use of excessive force to restrain him.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-20 17:22:11

Of course, there will be more protests now..

JenniferEccles Mon 13-Jul-20 17:55:55

But like I said maybe the aggressive restraint was necessary.

We don’t know. That’s the point.

The officers concerned here would have had what happened to Floyd at the forefront of their minds, yet they still chose that system of restraint.

To me that indicates they were dealing with a violent aggressive individual.

Without knowing what happened in the lead up to the restraint it’s impossible to form an opinion on whether it was appropriate in this case or not.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-20 17:59:11

It wasn't appropriate because it is banned.

Summerlove Mon 13-Jul-20 17:59:52

JenniferEccles

The officers concerned here would have had what happened to Floyd at the forefront of their minds, yet they still chose that system of restraint.

Without knowing what happened in the lead up to the restraint it’s impossible to form an opinion on whether it was appropriate in this case or not.

It’s not hard though to me.
Force? Sure

Excessive force? No!

If these officers had had what happened to George Floyd in mind and still went ahead with this use of restraint, that’s all the worse to me.

Policing in America needs absolute reform.

Madgran77 Mon 13-Jul-20 18:18:39

Restraint methods for violent people does NOT include kneeling on the neck. Restraint guidance as standard, is DO NOT PUT PRESSURE ON THE NECK! Doesnt matter what the bloke did, how violent he was, other recognised methods will work, necks are out!

Summerlove Mon 13-Jul-20 21:38:39

I’m not even shocked to see someone defending this

I expect to see many many more defend it as well

Makes me so sad for the future

Happygirl79 Mon 13-Jul-20 21:48:05

Must be totally ignorant people with no education to do this to another person
No excuses
This must cease
All lives matter

GagaJo Mon 13-Jul-20 21:56:32

All Lives Matter is the catch phrase of a far right organisation.

Given that MOST of the people this happens to are people of colour, BLACK Lives Matter Happygirl79. Stop trying to shift the narrative to the right.

Police brutality.

Furret Mon 13-Jul-20 21:59:46

JenniferEccles

While some people refuse to see what is in front of their noses there is no hope.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-20 22:13:38

The policeman's actions indicate to me that he is the violent, aggressive individual, as well as dangerously arrogant.

I suppose we will all have different perceptions, but wrong is always just plain wrong.

SilentGames Mon 13-Jul-20 22:56:53

A week before the evil thug George Floyd so tragically died whilst totally intoxicated with fentanyl which has terrible side effects that can stop you breathing and wasn’t helped when he was arrested and held to the floor, a black policeman carried out a replica arrest of a black man whilst his lady passenger was calling out he couldn’t breathe. This was filmed but unfortunately because they were both black it did not make media news. Strange that!?

Madgran77 Tue 14-Jul-20 07:08:02

a black policeman carried out a replica arrest of a black man whilst his lady passenger was calling out he couldn’t breathe.

If this is true then the same applies. Restraint by kneeling on the neck is not allowed!

If it is true that George Floyd was high on fentanyl, so what? What has it got to do with the fact that kneeling on the neck to restrain is NOT ALLOWED?

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jul-20 07:33:39

This was filmed but unfortunately because they were both black it did not make media news. Strange that!

Did the detained man die?

Gajahgran Tue 14-Jul-20 07:39:04

Gagajo Black lives Matter is the catchphrase of a Marxist far right organisation. They do not care about black lives only their political agenda. Happygirl79 is correct all lives matter. It is terrible what has happened in America but Black lives matter want to get rid of the Police. Look what happened when Black Lives Matter took over a section of Seattle. The mayor of Seattle said it was like the summer of love until her house was attacked.

We should try to build bridges between communities here in the UK and stop putting labels on people.

MawB Tue 14-Jul-20 07:48:40

Gajahgran

Gagajo Black lives Matter is the catchphrase of a Marxist far right organisation. They do not care about black lives only their political agenda. Happygirl79 is correct all lives matter. It is terrible what has happened in America but Black lives matter want to get rid of the Police. Look what happened when Black Lives Matter took over a section of Seattle. The mayor of Seattle said it was like the summer of love until her house was attacked.

We should try to build bridges between communities here in the UK and stop putting labels on people.

Marxist ✔️
Radical ✔️
But Right- wing?

SilentGames Tue 14-Jul-20 08:03:43

Madgran of course it’s not allowed. Of course racism has got to be wiped out but some of the organisers of BLM fail to tell the public the whole story, whipping up violence and destruction. It seems to me that this constant media coverage is doing exactly that. George Floyd was high on Fentanyl which surgeons use to operate as they say it puts them to sleep! He was six foot seven! The police risk their lives everyday where people carry guns. They make dreadful mistakes, they wear cameras and know they will be filmed and spread through the media. When police get killed by these deviant drug invested people the uproar is somewhat silent. Also this praising of this man as some kind of god fearing hero is quite sickening and media fed. I don’t think any one can begin to understand what kind of life these police have to deal with in these dangerous circumstances everyday. The extremists of BLM want no police and this feeding of every white against black put out is trying to separate people. I have friends who live in the troubled areas and they say the UK don’t have a clue what their lives are like living with drug induced gun loaded gangs. It’s disgusting how we treat our police and soldiers and those out to protect us in a very hostile environment. But I want to say again I don’t believe anyone has the right to use force purposely to kill anyone. The George Floyd video put out by the media was tampered with omitting his resistance of arrest which is only coming out now. They even are saying he may have stopped breathing before the police did the neck hold. We will see if they change their practices of how to arrest without risking death.

Oopsminty Tue 14-Jul-20 08:25:56

SilentGames, are you trying to say that George Floyd died due to his behaviour?

As for footage of events that happened before he was restrained on the ground, they're not just coming out now, they have been on the Internet since this happened

George Floyd was not resisting arrest when on the ground. He was handcuffed.

Who tampered with the video? The video was filmed by a teenage girl who was passing when she saw him on the ground so that's an incorrect comment

This is an excellent article explaining this horrendous killing by a pathologist

www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/working-stiff/86913

If I was arrested I too would have fentanyl in my system due to patches for chronic pain. This drug is not just used by surgeons

It is impossible to excuse the behaviour of Chauvin and once people start saying that then the outrage starts

They even are saying he may have stopped breathing before the police did the neck hold

That is the most ridiculous comment I've seen

8 minutes. 8. Over 8 actually. With George Floyd in extreme distress. Urinating. Bleeding from his nose. Unresponsive for the last 3 minutes. 3 minutes is a very long time.

I agree that the Police have a hard job and in some areas more than others

However we can't go down the route of saying police make mistakes and that's all this was

It was heinous and I hope Chauvin is imprisoned for a very long time.

Gajahgran Tue 14-Jul-20 08:26:49

MawB sorry slipped up on the keyboard I meant left wing of course.
We need to bring communities together, is my point. Not have labels and divisions.