Gransnet forums

News & politics

I love the statue that has replaced the slave trader

(208 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 19:42:08

Wonder how long the far right will let it stand?

Blinko Wed 15-Jul-20 19:47:57

Maybe it's about time there were a few black statues around. Makes us stop and think, rather than just walking or driving past without a second glance.

FarNorth Wed 15-Jul-20 19:56:23

I think it's excellent and means that history isn't forgotten by the removal of the other statue.

kittylester Wed 15-Jul-20 19:58:59

I think its excellent but then it's not in my city and I might like a say in what actually went there if i lived there.

lemongrove Wed 15-Jul-20 20:02:26

I don’t think the council in Bristol are ‘far right’ and it’s up to them what they do about the statue.
Since it seems to have been an issue for a long time and the council did nothing over all the years about it, presumably they will be just as lethargic about removing this one.
In my own view, all who live in Bristol should have the opportunity as to what precisely they would like to see on the plinth for the future, and then commission someone to do it.

paddyanne Wed 15-Jul-20 20:03:49

Does YOUR city usually ask what statues they can erect? kittylester

BlueBelle Wed 15-Jul-20 20:04:22

I love it too I hope it stays put

Alexa Wed 15-Jul-20 20:07:34

So do I love the statue but even more I love the occasion of its making and erection.

kittylester Wed 15-Jul-20 20:20:13

paddyanne

Does YOUR city usually ask what statues they can erect? kittylester

Recently, yes, paddyanne!

eazybee Wed 15-Jul-20 20:52:53

Well, I don't (love it) and I hope it is removed as soon as possible, albeit with rather more respect than they showed the original one.

Urmstongran Wed 15-Jul-20 20:52:55

Well it seems the Mayor of Bristol, Marvin Rees, has said it will be removed.

Regards the statue, put up by activists, What has she done for the people of Bristol other than pull down and vandalise the City’s heritage?

As a symbol of a lawless society, and pro ALL drug use being legalised, I find this statue highly offensive and insulting.

flopen Wed 15-Jul-20 20:56:00

Regards the statue, put up by activists, What has she done for the people of Bristol other than pull down and vandalise the City’s heritage?
exactly. I think the self-righteousness of people (who don't even live in the city) who think they are entitled to do this is unbelievable.

aggie Wed 15-Jul-20 20:56:50

As a work of Art I must say I loved the statue , and hope it is left where it is

Orangerose Wed 15-Jul-20 20:57:57

Completely agree Urmstongran

flopen Wed 15-Jul-20 20:59:23

Wonder how long the far right will let it stand?

and this statement, labelling anyone who disagrees with the poster as 'far right' just show their lack of intelligence.

Urmstongran Wed 15-Jul-20 21:03:35

Where were the Police whilst a crane was used in the city to erect this statue? Beggars belief.

And Naga Munchetti grinning like a Cheshire cat while "interviewing" her hero his morning. Impartiality? Meh.

Grannybags Wed 15-Jul-20 21:08:23

I agree with both your comments Urmstongran

The statue was put up in the middle of the night

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 21:12:20

The statue is beautiful.

sue421 Wed 15-Jul-20 21:20:31

Who is she? What has she achieved for Bristolians? Are Bristolians allowed a say? This will just cause a divide.....but as we dont want to upset BLM we wont be allowed a say. There are more deserving Bristolians than this lady, those that have worked for good in the community.

25Avalon Wed 15-Jul-20 21:20:41

Well said Urmstongran. Totally agree as does my Bristolian dh.

25Avalon Wed 15-Jul-20 21:21:55

And you Sue421. Having said that it is a very good statue but should not be where it is.

Nightsky2 Wed 15-Jul-20 21:24:22

This is just so provocative. I hope it disappears overnight in the same way it appeared overnight.

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 21:24:33

Calm down dearies.

It’s not meant to be a permanent fixture. It’s only resin. I’m sure the good laydees of Bristol and their spouses will get to choose something less offensive that a black woman in a short skirt!

Urmstongran Wed 15-Jul-20 21:31:09

Please desist from calling me ‘deary’ Furret it’s antagonistic (which I’m sure you intended).

Grannybags Wed 15-Jul-20 21:32:09

As a good laydee of Bristol I'm not against a statue of a black person dressed or nude, just not that statue of that woman. I am against a statue made by a white man who lives in London.

I know it was not supposed to be permanent and was erected to cause controversy.