Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Russian Report

(136 Posts)
MaizieD Tue 21-Jul-20 13:05:52

The ISC report on Russian interference is out today. It doesn't point the finger of blame at individuals, I didn't realistically think that it would (though that might be in the unpublished Annexe). But in a way it is worse, it points the finger at the last few years of tory government and the Intelligence services.

This is the summary given to the media:

Basically the report says that we know that there is Russian interference. There was no investigation of Russian interference in the EU referendum because the government chose not to pursue it.

When you look at the amount of Russian money being laundered through City financial institutions, oligarchical investment in property, football clubs, newspapers etc. and the huge amounts of Russian money being donated to the tory party you begin to understand why tory governments weren't too keen on deeper investigation...

MaizieD Tue 21-Jul-20 13:07:34

Oh, and this recommendation: “it is nonetheless the Committee’s view that the UK Intelligence Community should produce an analogous assessment of potential Russian interference in the EU referendum and that an unclassified summary of it be published.”

Will it happen? hmm

Greeneyedgirl Tue 21-Jul-20 13:10:53

Well the integrity of our democracy is well and truly trashed, was pretty poor before.

The government didn’t look for any evidence............?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:56:26

Some of the money being laundered with Tory help.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:57:20

There is a huge amount more.

What I want to know is who is getting what from it all. Corruption writ large.

MaizieD Tue 21-Jul-20 13:58:45

Johnson has immediately ruled out the committee's recommendation of review of Russian interference in the referendum.

What a surprise...

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 13:59:42

George Monbiot
P
So all that stuff about sovereignty
About the national interest
About resisting the foreign powers who influence our politics.
... turns out to be total bollocks.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 14:03:57

Can you imagine if this had resulted from a Corbyn government.

It just shows what a load of b...........s the Tories talk!

Daisymae Tue 21-Jul-20 14:14:30

It explains why the report has been kicked into the long grass for so long. Surely there has to be an investigation into this is it just incompetence? So much vested self interest at play.

varian Tue 21-Jul-20 14:14:59

The report reveals that no one in government knew if Russia interfered in or sought to influence the [Brexit] referendum because they did not want to know"

Stewart Hosie MP says government "actively avoided looking for evidence that Russia interfered"

twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1285514677426978817?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 14:17:13

James O'Brien

So they didn't investigate alleged Russian intereference in the referendum because they were worried that they might find proof of it. Does that sound right?

growstuff Tue 21-Jul-20 14:22:15

I see no ships.

MaizieD Tue 21-Jul-20 14:23:41

As someone pointed out, it would be up to the Foreign Secretary to order an investigation. Who was Foreign Secretary when this was being mooted?

One A.B.P. Johnson.

(Though I wonder why Theresa May didn't insist on one...)

varian Tue 21-Jul-20 14:25:24

Better not to ask a question than risk getting an answer you won't like.

Great tactic if you can get away with it.

Daisymae Tue 21-Jul-20 14:31:31

Wonder what Cummings was actually doing in Russia for those years he was resident?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 14:54:52

"Is he afraid it would expose that he & his Vote Leave colleagues were beneficiaries of Russian interference? Are there other connections of cash or kompromat which could embarrass senior figures?"

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 14:56:32

Does the high potential of Russian interference in referendum make it illegitimate?

GillT57 Tue 21-Jul-20 15:04:37

Does the high potential of Russian interference in referendum make it illegitimate? Yes

Will it make any difference, will Johnson and Cummings admit it? No

Will the people who voted for this clusterf**k admit they were fools and were lied to? No

Am I angry? No, I am bloody livid that some people, who knew nothing about fisheries/immigration/blue passports/unicorns have landed me and my family in this mess.

Will anyone come on here to defend the Russia report and explain why I should calm down? No, I think the Boris fan club are lying low after the betrayal of the NHS vote.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 15:06:52

Cowards - the lot of them.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 15:46:40

We also have to ask why the Conservative Party took no action whatsoever when Russia launched a chemical warfare attack on UK soil while Johnson was Foreign Secretary.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 15:47:32

The Tory party is a threat to U.K. security

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Jul-20 16:01:16

Margaret Hodge
@margarethodge
Russia Report confirms what we already knew. Russian oligarchs have used their dirty money to buy unprecedented power & influence in the UK, all with the support of the Kremlin.

The UK is now the location of choice for dirty money. Our capital is now the "London Laundromat".

growstuff Tue 21-Jul-20 16:07:58

Weird isn't it? In the past, I would have trusted a Conservative government to look after British interests on the world stage.

Events over the last couple of weeks have been extremely suspicious. I didn't expect much from the Russia Report, so I'm not that disappointed.

However, I find Cummings' meddling in MI5, MI6, the SAS and Porton Down concerning, as well as the threats to the armed forces. Add to that the attempt to install puppet Grayling as Chair of the ISC and the removal of Mark Sedwill as National Security Advisor and replacement by David Frost, who has no experience of security, and the total incompetence of the Home Secretary. The government is currently advertising for a new civil servant to be in charge of digital vetting of security clearance. I wonder who'll get the contract for that!

Meanwhile, the government is making a total hash of Brexit and Covid-19.

growstuff Tue 21-Jul-20 16:10:37

Whitewavemark2

Margaret Hodge
@margarethodge
Russia Report confirms what we already knew. Russian oligarchs have used their dirty money to buy unprecedented power & influence in the UK, all with the support of the Kremlin.

The UK is now the location of choice for dirty money. Our capital is now the "London Laundromat".

And it won't get any better when the UK establishes "free ports", which will be unregulated and magnets for smugglers.

How to turn a once great country into prime bandit territory ...

AGAA4 Tue 21-Jul-20 16:10:45

I was resigned to leaving the EU by what I thought was a democratic vote.
Now I am furious that the Russians may have influenced the vote to go the way they wanted.