Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish Tory leader

(18 Posts)
mcem Thu 30-Jul-20 20:51:53

Jackson Carlaw, Ruth Davidson's successor as leader of Scottish Tories has resigned after 6 months.
FM questions today was disastrous for him and within hours he decided to go.
If only it were the rule that a serious c***-up in parliament means that resignation is inevitable!

lemongrove Thu 30-Jul-20 20:54:34

It must have been more than that to cause his resignation....perhaps he was never comfortable in the role.

mcem Thu 30-Jul-20 21:18:42

Straws and camels' backs lemon.
A disaster of his own making and huge pressure on Twitter!

Esspee Thu 30-Jul-20 21:22:47

He never made his mark so much better that he goes now.

biba70 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:27:20

can you think of a suitable replacement? Weak Tories in Scotland pave the way for Independence and the SNP.

Jane10 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:31:18

Ruth Davidson working with George Galloway in his new Alliance for Unity party could certainly shake things up.

vegansrock Thu 30-Jul-20 22:53:18

Well it would be a hard sell getting the Scots to support Cummings and Johnson.

paddyanne Thu 30-Jul-20 22:59:07

It'll be a very hard task to get Scots to support George Galloway ..whoever he's in cahoots with.He wasn't popular before, thats why he fled south to get a constituency .Ruth is apparently headed for the "lords" so not sure how that will work ,she lost a lot of support by her changing horse over Bojo and Brexit .She knows Brexit will decimate Scotland so backing it wont go down well even with tories here

Riverwalk Thu 30-Jul-20 23:33:48

Ruth Davidson and the George Galloway?

Strange times.

ElaineI Fri 31-Jul-20 00:02:37

It was the worst persistent question ever when most people were watching and wanting facts and answers about schools going back, childcare and reopening of various leisure and sporting areas. He went on and on and if DGS2 had not been having a nap I would have shouted "Shut the F... up! Are you not on this PLANET! Thousands of people have died and people are still dying and you are mithering on about figures that weren't published weeks ago when all parents/grandparents want to know if it is safe and reasonable for children to go back to school!!!" I didn't wake the boy! Though we are perturbed that the guidelines for childcare are being sent out on 10th August and teachers are supposed to go back on 10th August but they can't go back if they have their children and there is no normal childcare! DD1 is a P1 teacher, we are her childcare but currently looking after DD2 toddler full time as her childminder is (possibly but unable to prove) looking after key workers children and we need this sorted! Teachers are not classed as key workers and neither is DD2 who is a mental health nurse. Only nurses working directly with COVID patients are key workers. Anyway Jackson Storm made a right dithering show of himself and probably needs to retire!

mcem Fri 31-Jul-20 16:14:09

Word from a Tory msp (can't remember her name) is that the push came from Downing St.
The prospect of the unholy Davidson/Galloway liaison is ridiculous but would certainly boost the pro-independence movement!
Another name is Douglas Ross the Moray mp who resigned on principle over Dom's behaviour. He was Under-Secretary of State for Scotland and met BJ last week on his 'visit' .
Joanna Cherry mentioned too.
However I don't think WM MP's are eligible.

biba70 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:19:04

Boris Johnson’s approval rating with the Scottish people now sits at -50 points, a hundred points lower than the country’s first minister Nicola Sturgeon.

Jane10 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:35:31

I don't know where they find these 'approval' ratings. Boris list a lot of support after the Cummings affair but Nicola Sturgeon is not doing herself any favours up here. Turning up on TV every day for a mini party political broadcast just makes her seem ubiquitous but her policies in so many areas are disastrous.

biba70 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:41:41

The Poll was done by the official YouGov in collaboration with The Times

''Douglas Ross, the Scottish Tories’ new leader, is polling on -15 points.

The polling also gave a boost for Scottish independence with 53% backing an exit from the union, with the “don’t know” option removed, compared to 47% that would reject it.

Polling for the SNP is at a record high - as the polling found 57% would back the SNP in the Holyrood elections, compared to 20% for the Tories, 14% for Labour and 6% for the Lib Dems.

SNP MP Pete Wishart tweeted: “SNP support at 57%... The simple fact is that the Scottish people very much approve of SNP Government. Now can we all unite and win this.”

Parsley3 Wed 12-Aug-20 13:50:30

Jane10

I don't know where they find these 'approval' ratings. Boris list a lot of support after the Cummings affair but Nicola Sturgeon is not doing herself any favours up here. Turning up on TV every day for a mini party political broadcast just makes her seem ubiquitous but her policies in so many areas are disastrous.

Can you give examples of the policies you don’t like? I would suggest education under Swinney but what others?

paddyanne Wed 12-Aug-20 14:24:55

she breathes ,thats enough for Jane 10 and other union supporters to think she's a disaster .I saw something I thought I'd never see on TV news last night FOOTBALL supporters praising the Scottish Government and SNP for being firm with footballers over the covid issues.That was football supporters who had just been told their team wasn't allowed to play for the next week .. at least.Nicola Sturgeon ...like her or not Jane10 has the backing of a majority of Scots .
And their respect for the way she's handled Covid amongst her other ongoing work .
Thats a month without a death ,thats mainly because people are listening to her and taking her advice because they trust her .Boris hasn't a hope in hell of getting a good rating here remember the last time Scotland voted a Tory majority was 1953 ...that the years before I was born and its not happening agin any time soon .

Parsley3 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:39:45

I thought well of Ruth Davidson but then she bolted to spend time with her family. But now she is back to hold the fort until Douglas Ross can get elected as an MSP. Then she will go to the Lords which will mean time away from her family. More flip flops than St Andrews beach.

Jane10 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:30:57

Just check SueDonim's previous post outlining the catalogue of SNP failures that are never addressed by their fans here.
Nicola is in deep trouble. She's refusing to release documents to the enquiry looking at the Salmond affair. She's facing competition from within her party from the more aggressively pro independence members of her party.
All is not as presented in the media. I just wish more people took a more in depth look at the mess they've made.