Gransnet forums

News & politics

New peerages

(51 Posts)
Daisymae Sat 01-Aug-20 08:20:04

Johnson's brother and a Russian born billionaire are amongst the new peers announced this week, despite the House of Lords being already bloated. They really don't care do they?

Daisymae Sat 01-Aug-20 09:15:12

Would any Tory voters like to support this move?

paddyanne Sat 01-Aug-20 10:05:02

Dont forget Ruthie...the "leader" who only got in as 3rd or 4th on the list in Holyrood who was praised for a "landslide" victory of 22% from a "disastous "24% in Thatchers times ,who only turned up at now 2 yes thats TWO surgeries since 2016 BUT who found her way onto many a reality show and found it in her heart to run down her country and its people at every turn .The evidence is all there .Still I suppose the staying away from her voters is what attracted Bojo to her,its atrick he uses himself .Now she has a job and income for life...if she can be bothered to turn up!!
This whole "honours" system turns my stomach .

EllanVannin Sat 01-Aug-20 10:10:13

I've always loathed this " jobs for the boys " mentality.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 11:04:29

Surely it’s time to stop all these titles ? Awards yes if they are justified, but titles ? Why ?

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 11:05:00

P.S. I’m not a loony far leftie.

EllanVannin Sat 01-Aug-20 11:33:28

I thought the Lords was going to become a thing of the past ?
Outdated, archaic like its inhabitants getting paid to go to sleep. This isn't bringing the country into the 21st century is it ? It's going backwards, except for the people of the past who meant more than they do now.

It seems that any Tom Dick and Harry can now sleep sit in the Lords for nigh-on £ 400 a throw, daily.

Alexa Sat 01-Aug-20 11:36:03

It does look as if the new peers are mostly Tory boys. Time to reform the House of Lords.

varian Sat 01-Aug-20 12:12:51

I'm surprised that Anne Widdecombe wasn't on the list.

varian Sat 01-Aug-20 12:14:12

After all, amongst the new brexit baronesses are Kate Hoey, Gisela Stuart and Claire Fox - and they've never even been Tories!

Orangerose Sat 01-Aug-20 12:21:09

I’m a Tory supporter and I do not support this move. I think it’s disgusting and it’s time the whole Lords thing was scrapped.

maddyone Sat 01-Aug-20 12:22:15

I don’t agree with the honours system. Politicians of all parties use it to ‘honour’ their cronies, the rich and famous, and the civil service members who put their policies into actions. Politicians, pop stars, highly paid civil servants, footballers, sportsmen and women. These people who were already well rewarded get further rewards. I know they throw a few ‘ordinary’ people in, but the whole system is corrupt and it stinks. I’d get rid of it tomorrow.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 12:24:42

Seems to be agreement here from both “sides”. Good !

MaizieD Sat 01-Aug-20 14:47:10

varian

After all, amongst the new brexit baronesses are Kate Hoey, Gisela Stuart and Claire Fox - and they've never even been Tories!

I think the clue is in the word 'brexit', varian

Claire Fox is an especial disgrace.

^Claire Fox: newly elevated to the HofL
Said that Child Abuse images (on the internet) should stay “Mostly simulated”
Refused to condemn the Warrington IRA bombings
Ditto Sebrenica
Holocaust denier.
And said jihadi recruitment videos be NOT removed from SM.

twitter.com/fascinatorfun/status/1289232755255959552

varian Sat 01-Aug-20 15:27:01

CF used to be member of the Revolutionary Communist Party. I never new communists were that keen on the House of Lords.

annsixty Sat 01-Aug-20 16:01:38

No , just keen on the kudos and the expenses.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Aug-20 16:23:51

Just read that Botham can’t take his seat in the Lords because he lives in Spain.

MaizieD Sat 01-Aug-20 16:26:53

Are people like Fox now elevated to the H o L because they now reflect British values?

Sometimes, from my not very intensive readings of social media, I wonder if they do now...

MaizieD Sat 01-Aug-20 16:27:49

MayBee70

Just read that Botham can’t take his seat in the Lords because he lives in Spain.

Oh, I do hope that is true, Maybee.

25Avalon Sat 01-Aug-20 16:30:50

Half of those at the House of Lords don’t know if they are on this earth or Fullers as the old saying goes. They are not elected so why exactly are they there? Surely there has to be a better system than paying £300 a day to people most of whom are asleep.

growstuff Sat 01-Aug-20 16:48:55

varian

CF used to be member of the Revolutionary Communist Party. I never new communists were that keen on the House of Lords.

I know this is a link to the Graun (so many people will dismiss it), but it might explain the influence of the so-called Revolutionary Communist Party.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/01/why-johnsons-tories-fell-for-a-tiny-sect-of-libertarian-provocateurs-rcp

It explains that the RCP wasn't really a communist party, but a group of contrarians. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Cummings has been involved with them at some stage. They don't really fit into the traditional mould of "left" and "right".

Johnson himself doesn't have any ideology. He's too narcissistic and just wanted to be PM. I actually wonder if he has any values at all.

If you think about it, it explains a lot of what's been going on.

I wonder how long traditional "one nation" Tories will continue to tolerate it.

growstuff Sat 01-Aug-20 16:52:17

It's all just another dead cat. They're getting away with it because they can. People will be outraged for a couple of days, but they won't do anything. The HoL has now been flooded with sympathetic Brexiters, so even the last defence against national self-harm has gone.

I have never been so concerned about the destruction of democracy.

Esspee Sat 01-Aug-20 16:54:19

I agree, the Lords should be scrapped.

MaizieD Sat 01-Aug-20 17:03:05

I have never been so concerned about the destruction of democracy.

If it weren't for covid I'm sure that people would have been out on the streets by now. I certainly would pitchfork at the ready.

We can't just sit and watch democracy die...? or can we..

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Aug-20 17:09:28

It was always thought that our democracy was in danger from the political left.

How wrong that was!

Our democracy has never looked so shaky