Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is corruption and incompetence the new normal?

(63 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 12:43:56

Today I read that Fox has had his private email hacked by the Russians.

Extraorindarily stupid enough to carry classified documents in it.

He has already been sacked to inappropriate behaviour as foreign secretary with his friend.

Every single day there is another story of incompetence, lies , corruption that it is almost too much to keep up with.

What on earth has happened that as a country we seem to be tolerating this dreadful behaviour by HM Government.

Take us back 20 years and we would be appalled by any single one of these events.

No wonder there is a thread that suggests we should stop watching the news.

geekesse Tue 04-Aug-20 13:03:45

It’s nothing new. Aristophanes (about 446-386 BCE) wrote:

“Look at the orators in our republics; as long as they are poor, both state and people can only praise their uprightness; but once they are fattened on the public funds, they conceive a hatred for justice, plan intrigues against the people and attack the democracy.”

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:14:28

geekesse

It’s nothing new. Aristophanes (about 446-386 BCE) wrote:

“Look at the orators in our republics; as long as they are poor, both state and people can only praise their uprightness; but once they are fattened on the public funds, they conceive a hatred for justice, plan intrigues against the people and attack the democracy.”

Blimey😄😄😄😄

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 13:25:08

There might be 'nothing new' about it, but it doesn't make it any easier to become reconciled to it..

At least in the 'old days' (i.e about 5 years ago) there was a chance of politicians having to take some sort of 'punishment' for incompetence and corruption. This one was embarrassingly put forward as suitable to chair the WTO shock

GillT57 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:30:09

I continue to be astonished at how little fuss has been made about the lack of fair and correct procedure in awarding government contracts. Why is nobody worried about this?

quizqueen Tue 04-Aug-20 13:32:53

I don't think there is much to chose between all the political parties for incompetence and dishonesty, in my opinion.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:49:31

quizqueen

I don't think there is much to chose between all the political parties for incompetence and dishonesty, in my opinion.

Then you are not paying attention

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:51:02

GillT57

I continue to be astonished at how little fuss has been made about the lack of fair and correct procedure in awarding government contracts. Why is nobody worried about this?

There was yet another report in today’s paper about a contract given on a plate to a couple of IT experts, known for their right wing credentials. No tendering was required.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:53:54

And here is yet another!
Covid testing contracts awarded on ideological grounds. No tendering.

t.co/sVLycXPRqD?amp=1

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 14:04:18

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, geekesse!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:10:11

If a civil servant was found guilty of Fox’s misdemeanour it would be instant dismissal.

But incompetence and corruption is accepted just with a shrug..

This does not bode well for the future.

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 14:11:00

GillT57

This is why Cummings is able to completely over ride all regulations and customary practice. Because very few people care about it.

However, Jo Maugham is plugging away at his request for a judicial review of three of these contracts.

Though Cummings is seeking to stymie judicial review by getting the tory sheep in parliament to vote to make it an offence to seek a judicial review for political reasons.

goodlawproject.org/

There's a guy on twitter trying to start a resistance movement. grin

twitter.com/paddydocherty/status/1290547408053702662

Care to join the 3.5%?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:19:19

care to join the 3.5%

Yes I saw that. If it is going to happen it will be post Jan 1st as the shortages etc on top of covid which will be in its second or third wave by then will be enough for people to begin to understand that they have been lined to by an incompetent and corrupt government.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:20:22

Although I think Johnson is preparing to use the army. I’m not sure how the ordinary soldier will feel about that.

paddyanne Tue 04-Aug-20 14:49:57

He'll follow Churchills lead and lock up local soldiers in the barracks in case they feel compelled to fight FOR the cause their families and friends are fighting for rather than Bojo's side .

varian Tue 04-Aug-20 15:01:03

I wish that the 3.5% (or even 2.5%) theory was true.

Remember that more than 6,000,000 people (more than 10% of the UK adult population) signed the petition to Revoke Article 50.

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 15:01:51

I heard rumours that the army weren't too reluctant during the miners' strike... (though it was never confirmed, there were strong suspicions that the large numbers of police were augmented with soldiers...)

Of course, by bussing in police from other parts of the country the Thatcher government forestalled any 'sympathetic' police action... local police weren't quite so keen to beat up their miner relatives as the southern reinforcements were...

GrannyGravy13 Tue 04-Aug-20 15:02:41

The army gave been used since day one of Covid-19, they supply transportation, man testing stations and the army nurses and doctors have been working in our hospitals.

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 15:05:49

I wish that the 3.5% (or even 2.5%) theory was true.

It has to be a sustained campaign, varian, not signing a petition or strolling through London en masse a couple of times.

I think the continual appearance of the numbers 3.5% all over the place could have an unsettling effect... just keep a bit of chalk handy grin

MaizieD Tue 04-Aug-20 15:08:03

GrannyGravy13

The army gave been used since day one of Covid-19, they supply transportation, man testing stations and the army nurses and doctors have been working in our hospitals.

They are not being used to 'control' civil unrest, GG13.

We expect 'our lads' to be deployed to help with civilian emergencies. Not a problem.

I think what the government has in mind is slightly less wholesome...

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Aug-20 15:08:53

MaizieD

^I wish that the 3.5% (or even 2.5%) theory was true.^

It has to be a sustained campaign, varian, not signing a petition or strolling through London en masse a couple of times.

I think the continual appearance of the numbers 3.5% all over the place could have an unsettling effect... just keep a bit of chalk handy grin

I can do chalk!!

That’s all most of us on here are up to.

We could do our bit on social media though!

varian Tue 04-Aug-20 15:26:52

The corrosive influence of big money continues to undermine the integrity of the UK’s political system.

Big money:

-is openly solicited in return for political access and influence;
-can secure positions of public office and titles of recognition;
-exposes our democracy to manipulation by outside interests;
-casts doubt on whether public officials are acting in the public interest.

To remain relevant in a rapidly changing and uncertain world, UK political parties and politicians need to win back the trust of citizens. Dealing with the perception and reality of the corrupting influence of money on UK politics is a crucial part of that picture.

Without essential reforms, a steady stream of political corruption scandals will continue to unfold.

www.transparency.org.uk/corruption-and-uk/Money%20and%20Politics

GagaJo Tue 04-Aug-20 16:12:52

Whitewavemark2

quizqueen

Then you are not paying attention

Exactly.

Grany Tue 04-Aug-20 17:10:12

What does Queen say Johnson weekly meetings Does she say you are doing a good job

Grany Tue 04-Aug-20 17:16:45

No sorry queen now at Balmoral because of Covid19

Good topic