Gransnet forums

News & politics

VJ Day service this morning

(5 Posts)
Lexisgranny Sat 15-Aug-20 11:35:04

I do not cry easily, but the simplicity, and beauty of this service has left me in tears. The peaceful setting and the determination of these elderly men to honour their comrades is so moving. The stories that were told by both survivors and their descendants were so poignant, and the music so appropriate, England on a summers day a far cry from the conditions they suffered, but 75 yeas on we honoured them with great dignity

POGS Sat 15-Aug-20 13:22:33

I watched it too and I must admit to feeling so saddened by the fact human contact, even in the shaking of a hand, was not an option because COVID.

I am sure all who attended understood the need but when you think what brave men, women and children who suffered then and survived the war lived through it must be a hard pill to swallow in a way. Their shared experiences, comradery and survival relies on being together to remember their loved ones, friends and companions and human contact is so important for that regard alone. Very sad.

I am just glad that as a country we can at least continue to remember our older generation and their sacrifices from whichever country they came from but I fear that respect is dwindling in many quarters.

moggie57 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:30:04

it was lovely wasnt it much better than all those people crowing together .nice setting /nice atmostphere . and even prince andrew saluting .. well done prince andrew with all the stuff thats been going on ,he took time to remember those who gave their lives...was a very pleasant service with all those old soldiers ...

moggie57 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:30:36

crowding i meant .but crowing sounds good too

Cabbie21 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:37:59

Excellent commemoration. I felt so glad for them that it was not a searing hot day, nor was it raining.