Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government corruption why is no one shouting from the housetops?

(130 Posts)
Furret Fri 11-Sep-20 07:31:15

“Fear, shame, embarrassment: these brakes no longer apply. The government has discovered that it can bluster through any scandal. No minister need resign. No one need apologise. No one need explain.

As public outrage grows over the billions of pounds of coronavirus contracts issued by the government without competition, it seems determined only to award more of them. Never mind that the consulting company Deloitte, whose personnel circulate in and out of government, has been strongly criticised for the disastrous system it devised to supply protective equipment to the NHS. It has now been granted a massive new contract to test the population for Covid-19.

Cummings ally's PR firm given Covid-19 contracts without tenders

Never mind that some of these contracts have reportedly cost taxpayers £800 for every protective overall delivered. Never mind that at least two multi-million pound contracts appear to have been issued to dormant companies. Awarding contracts to unusual companies, without advertising, transparency or competition now appears to have been adopted as the norm. Several of the firms that have benefited from this largesse are closely linked to senior figures in the government.“

From today’s papers.

Several of the above dodgy (downright illegal) deals have been mentioned on GN never mind the press and other media, but this government simply carries on handing out tax-payers money to cronies and born-to-fail projects. Billions.

Why are we sitting back and doing nothing.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:04:27

I am glad someone has started this, as I think it is an absolute major issue.

Social media is alive with examples but I think the latest is one if the worse as far as money is concerned.

“How dare they commit over £100bn of public money without no evident transparent procurement process? With no clarity on what contracts have been awarded or to whom or how those companies were chosen?”

This is a major breach of trust and honesty with the British people.

Grany Fri 11-Sep-20 08:16:51

Couldn't shouldn't there be a system that's recognises wrong doing criminal activities that can call this government to account, it is obvious they are not acting in the publics interest and doing untold damage?

Who should there be to put a stop to all this wrong doing?

Do other countries have a brake they can put on their government if they are acting illegally?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:26:53

Well parliament should be the brake, and prior to the election it was just that.

It saw the problems with the WA etc, but you have a new-fascist government that is using its majority to tank through policy.

Commentators are getting seriously alarmed though so let’s hope some if this alarm feeds through to the MSM which is largely right wing.

“this is the act of a profoundly corrupt and now very obviously neo-fascist government, intent on disrupting order in pursuit of its own aims that are very clearly only capable of delivery by way of breach of the law and all reasonable ethical standards. Down this route there is totalitarian control. And with it comes the aggression that cannot help but lead to conflict.“

Murphy.

rubysong Fri 11-Sep-20 08:35:46

Whitewavemark2 would you please say what WA and MSM are. Sorry, I can't think what they stand for.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:40:59

WA = withdrawal agreement

MSM= main stream media

???

rubysong Fri 11-Sep-20 08:58:12

Whitewavemark2. Thank you.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:58:47

You are welcome

vegansrock Fri 11-Sep-20 09:01:23

Johnson/Cummings/Hancock are spending £100bn on private companies with little or no experience in testing when much less than this is given to Local Authorities/Public Health who would be much better placed/have better experience to get a workable T&T in place. There is no money for local authorities for these so called “Covid Marshalls “ either. Just so much gaslighting by this bunch of muppets.

MaizieD Fri 11-Sep-20 09:22:34

We're flogging a dead horse here, I'm afraid. The people who screamed blue murder about a £9billion annual contribution to the EU, which gave us an estimated return in trade and benefits of £10 for every £1 spent, are more than happy, it seems, for this so called 'government' to distribute £billions to their friends, relations and party donors by way of untendered for, and unfulfilled, contracts.

It has been pointed out that this can be a curiously circular transaction in that contracts go to tory party donors who then donate a part of that money back to the tory party in order to secure more space at the trough...

GrannyGravy13 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:32:31

I voted Conservative and I am extremely frustrated and cross.

MummyJoJo62 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:43:04

rubysong

Whitewavemark2 would you please say what WA and MSM are. Sorry, I can't think what they stand for.

Thank you! I sometimes feel like a child at the back of the class too scared to put my hand up. And then a hero comes along xxxx

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 09:44:19

GrannyGravy13

I voted Conservative and I am extremely frustrated and cross.

As are the handful off Conservative voters I know. We disagree on much, but we respect each other as decent human beings and this government is the pits - it's not behaving ethically and anybody with any sense at all can see that.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:04:05

MummyJoJo62

rubysong

Thank you! I sometimes feel like a child at the back of the class too scared to put my hand up. And then a hero comes along xxxx

Never ever think that!!???

Not all of us are politics freaks!

Ask away as much as you like! It makes us feel superior????

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:04:49

Bit of light relief

Davidhs Fri 11-Sep-20 10:28:44

Parliament should stop it.

The Tories have an 80 seat majority so nothing is going to be done.

When this crisis is over people will be held to account, there is probably more negligence than corruption.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:29:09

I'm increasingly ashamed to be British. Just seeing Johnson and his cronies at press briefings leaves me speechless. They are so bad it's no longer even worthy of scorn but alarming.
There are strong voices raising concern but it feels to me that they have got away with so much they are just doing what they want whilst they can.
I do sometimes wonder whether it's a case of they are not behaving any differently but the current situation with a global pandemic plus Brexit has made them more visible and open to scrutiny than they would otherwise have been.
In my most pessimistic moments I've wondered if this is what it feels like in countries with dictators where those that rule follow there own agenda without challenge.
There is so much that is wrong its difficult to know where to start. Care homes? Schools? The treatment of covid vulnerable workers? Billions given to private companies for failing projects? The crumbling of social care,nhs,education all on their knees due to austerity before the pandemic.
I would never vote Conservative but I think at the start of this pandemic I expected them to do the right thing and protect the public. Their ruthlessness has shocked me to the core,those that are ill, vulnerable, poor,disabled apart from a few token gestures are thrown to the wolves. Anyone who believes frontline workers who are vulnerable to covid are given reliable protection in workplace are mistaken. It's totally down to employers. I know a teaching assistant who is very high risk. The school he is at puts him at risk to extent hes written his will. His headmaster has said if he cant do his job he can leave. Unions are ultimately powerless. They are guidelines not law.
The head of Royal College of Nursing has said frontline staff are on their knees. I wouldnt hold your breath that NHS is any better equipped to deal with a second wave,although at least more is known about treatment.
Returning to question. Why is nothing being done? I dont know. Why is Trump so popular?
I'm sure all of us remember the Poll Tax riots in 1990s. This goes beyond that. Restrictions on public gatherings? In the past it has been suggested that people feel completing online petitions or debate on social media is a valid protest.
Someone once said the only things that change in society due to war or pandemics.
I think to be honest people are to busy bickering amongst themselves and justifying why the pandemic is or isnt serious/who to blame for increase in infections/ merits of brexit etc. There is little cohesion and increasingly less empathy.
I have always felt very strongly that unless this virus disappears rapidly/an effective vaccine is found we are at the start of a long painful process. If the darker predictions are true we face unimaginable unemployment,poverty and hardship. At the moment those who are suffering most are those that always do. When it spreads upwards things may change. I occasionally wonder if the situation is so horrendous that Johnson and company know it's almost impossible to resolve and so are protecting own interests whilst can.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 10:31:36

Davidhs

Parliament should stop it.

The Tories have an 80 seat majority so nothing is going to be done.

When this crisis is over people will be held to account, there is probably more negligence than corruption.

Do you honestly think they'll be held to account? I wish I thought that. I honestly don't see how handing out contracts to cronies without tendering isn't corruption.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 11-Sep-20 10:32:53

Dorsetcupcake61

I'm increasingly ashamed to be British. Just seeing Johnson and his cronies at press briefings leaves me speechless. They are so bad it's no longer even worthy of scorn but alarming.
There are strong voices raising concern but it feels to me that they have got away with so much they are just doing what they want whilst they can.
I do sometimes wonder whether it's a case of they are not behaving any differently but the current situation with a global pandemic plus Brexit has made them more visible and open to scrutiny than they would otherwise have been.
In my most pessimistic moments I've wondered if this is what it feels like in countries with dictators where those that rule follow there own agenda without challenge.
There is so much that is wrong its difficult to know where to start. Care homes? Schools? The treatment of covid vulnerable workers? Billions given to private companies for failing projects? The crumbling of social care,nhs,education all on their knees due to austerity before the pandemic.
I would never vote Conservative but I think at the start of this pandemic I expected them to do the right thing and protect the public. Their ruthlessness has shocked me to the core,those that are ill, vulnerable, poor,disabled apart from a few token gestures are thrown to the wolves. Anyone who believes frontline workers who are vulnerable to covid are given reliable protection in workplace are mistaken. It's totally down to employers. I know a teaching assistant who is very high risk. The school he is at puts him at risk to extent hes written his will. His headmaster has said if he cant do his job he can leave. Unions are ultimately powerless. They are guidelines not law.
The head of Royal College of Nursing has said frontline staff are on their knees. I wouldnt hold your breath that NHS is any better equipped to deal with a second wave,although at least more is known about treatment.
Returning to question. Why is nothing being done? I dont know. Why is Trump so popular?
I'm sure all of us remember the Poll Tax riots in 1990s. This goes beyond that. Restrictions on public gatherings? In the past it has been suggested that people feel completing online petitions or debate on social media is a valid protest.
Someone once said the only things that change in society due to war or pandemics.
I think to be honest people are to busy bickering amongst themselves and justifying why the pandemic is or isnt serious/who to blame for increase in infections/ merits of brexit etc. There is little cohesion and increasingly less empathy.
I have always felt very strongly that unless this virus disappears rapidly/an effective vaccine is found we are at the start of a long painful process. If the darker predictions are true we face unimaginable unemployment,poverty and hardship. At the moment those who are suffering most are those that always do. When it spreads upwards things may change. I occasionally wonder if the situation is so horrendous that Johnson and company know it's almost impossible to resolve and so are protecting own interests whilst can.

A very thoughtful post.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 10:33:55

Brilliant post Dorsetcupcake.

Luckygirl Fri 11-Sep-20 10:45:35

Why are we not shouting from the rooftops? Been there, tied that and what happened - zilch. They just ploughed on in their merry way.

We are in the same situation as those with dictatorships now - public opinion is casually ignored and discarded.

growstuff Fri 11-Sep-20 10:53:01

The government doesn't listen to public opinion and doesn't respect the law. What next?

Luckygirl Fri 11-Sep-20 11:29:32

And ministers no longer take responsibility for errors in their departments; and unelected advisors can dictate what happens in government; and a transparent commissioning process for large government expenditure is no longer seen as necessary; and we can flout international law.

So many people said that Johnson's scant regard for morality and decency in his private life was irrelevant to his position as PM - how very wrong they were.

How do we claw ourselves back from this pit?

Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 11:42:09

Excellent thread. There's a line in a Billy Bragg song, "Sweet moderation, heart of this nation" and I always thought that described what we wanted this nation to be, even if we didn't always achieve it. Now that seems a long way off.

Luckygirl asks a good question - How do we claw ourselves back from this pit?

Marketkat Fri 11-Sep-20 11:48:03

I’m not that politically savvy, but for what it’s worth.
They’ve got us where they want us. We break the law if we gather, the restrictions give us less of a voice, we can’t do a thing about it since the gov have a huge majority, they don’t listen unless you agree with them, then they just say lots of people agree with them and lots do, (god knows who they are) and carry on regardless. Now the BBC has a Conservative new director general who wants a stop to Left political satire.
It’s all very depressing.