Gransnet forums

News & politics

Moving Covid +ve elderly into Care Homes *again*

(37 Posts)
Furret Thu 17-Sep-20 19:44:55

Anyone watching tonight’s C4 news? I simply cannot believe this. I have just sat and watched, in disbelief, these new guidelines for clearing hospital beds.

Have they learned nothing or don’t they care?

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 20:23:52

Yes I watched this is speechless fury. The bastards

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 20:24:21

They don’t care - not their relative.

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 07:21:39

suziewoozie I’m glad someone else saw this. It wasn’t mentioned on BBC or ITV news (as per usual very limited).

Why isn’t there more of any outcry?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 07:48:30

It astonishes and depresses me how few GNers seem to watch C4 news. It’s the best of an admittedly poor bunch. At least they give proper time to interviewees. I do so wonder why all Government ministers are not allowed to appear on the programme ( by diktat of Cummings) Don’t you just love democracy, freedom of speech and government being accountable?

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 07:51:18

There is talk that Boris won’t renew their contract when it expires.

Found some ITV coverage, lurking online Care Homes told to prepare to take in coronavirus patients within days

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 07:53:31

Yes I’ve heard that about the contract - oh wait a minute, look over there at ER threatening democracy and freedom of speech.

LullyDully Fri 18-Sep-20 08:03:31

That explains why they are all getting free PPE.

It was a disaster last time, why do the same again?

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 08:10:43

Why indeed?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 14:37:40

Shelagh Fogerty on LBC coveting this atm. Go et trying to reassure it will be safe. Ha bloody ha

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 14:39:00

Plan is that home will know, won’t be forced to accept so guess whose fault it will be when it all goes pear shaped?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 14:43:31

What could possibly encourage a profit driven home owned by a private equity company to take in a COVID + resident? Beats me

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 14:54:38

I doubt the case is as simple as this thread seems to be assuming.

Hospitals need to open up for people with health issues other than Covid19. Some estimates are saying that there will tens of thousands of excess deaths because of, for example, cancer patients not getting the treatments they have needed this year, plus early deaths of people who did not present possible cancer symptoms because they didn't want to 'bother' their GPs.

Check out Prof Karol Sikora, a retired (I think) oncologist.I've been following him on Twitter and he keeps telling people to get symptoms checked.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 15:00:26

Sikora is a government pasty who wants to get rid of the NHS. This thread is about the fact that only a fool would trust any system this govt came up with to safely transfer C+ patients into care homes. If they want to decant such people,they could start with requisitioning a private hospital for the purpose?

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 15:02:24

Or maybe a patsy

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 15:17:24

Can you provide some evidence for that statement, please, sw? Government is not following Sikora's advice so I'm not sure where the assertion comes from.

Another thing worth noting is that, since it has been discovered that ventilators are not necessary (not even good treatment) for most cases, if care homes have correct PPE and hygiene practices in place, they should be able to care for covid patients who are not desperately ill. Having a positive test result does not automatically mean ill.

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 15:25:25

Sikora is a maverick who may be right twice a day like a broken clock. As for care homes - in theory they could manage a C+ resident -but in practice. And if you are C+ you are infectious symptoms or not - it’s not about the nursing care, it’s about protecting other residents and staff. And remember, we’re not allowed information re private care homes about C+ deaths or cases- it’s all commercially sensitive information. So if I were looking for a care home for DH I would have no right to be told whether C was in that home or not.

Illte Fri 18-Sep-20 15:29:30

I didn't see the programme.

Is thinking on Covid swinging towards the Swedish model?

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 15:32:42

When one of the carers in a home near us tested +ve, relatives of residents were told because they couldn't visit, which that had been able to do before though only through windows.

Nobody in the home became infected.

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 15:33:06

*they not that

Furret Fri 18-Sep-20 15:46:44

baggs let us get real here and not play games. Moving a Covid +ve patient out of hospital to make room for another Covid +ve patient makes no sense
....oh hold on...these are elderly, so that's ok.

Where should we dump them? How about a facility that houses other very vulnerable folks?

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 16:19:59

Baggs

Can you provide some evidence for that statement, please, sw? Government is not following Sikora's advice so I'm not sure where the assertion comes from.

Another thing worth noting is that, since it has been discovered that ventilators are not necessary (not even good treatment) for most cases, if care homes have correct PPE and hygiene practices in place, they should be able to care for covid patients who are not desperately ill. Having a positive test result does not automatically mean ill.

I'm just popping un Baggs, so I haven't got time to give you links about Sikora. You can Google him yourself. He's a vocal critic of the NHS and even spoke in the US against Obama's healthcare reforms. As you say, he's an oncologist with a private practice. He has no expertise on viruses. He also lied for years about his experience. I could go on ...

growstuff Fri 18-Sep-20 16:20:28

in (not un)

suziewoozie Fri 18-Sep-20 17:35:05

The plural of one anecdote is not data. The data is the number of care homes that had outbreaks many of which were triggered by C+ residents discharged from hospitals

Baggs Fri 18-Sep-20 18:03:37

baggs let us get real here and not play games. Moving a Covid +ve patient out of hospital to make room for another Covid +ve patient makes no sense

I agree. What makes you think that is what's happening, that that is the reason for the reported moves? All the info I've seen about a rise in cases makes no mention of hospital admissions or deaths which, as I understand it, are remaining very low. There may be a spike in cases. I don't think there is, as yet, a corresponding rise in hospitalisations and deaths.