Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, did he go to Perugia incognito - or not?

(138 Posts)
biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:21:25

Shame, if I had known he was so close to where we were on holiday, I would have gone to have 'a word' in his ear.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:24:28

The airport authorities are saying he did.

Obviously 6 weeks plus in the summer wasn’t sufficient.

Oopsminty Mon 21-Sep-20 12:32:26

No idea.

The witness reports are somewhat vague

One airport official and another source

But people are going abroad so I won't get hugely annoyed about it

www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/21/no-10-denies-reports-boris-johnson-went-on-secret-italy-trip

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:32:40

Who?

EllanVannin Mon 21-Sep-20 12:35:05

Some people can't resist flying off somewhere can they ? It's not a necessity right now shock The " must have " brigade.

Toadinthehole Mon 21-Sep-20 12:38:41

Who are you talking about?

MaizieD Mon 21-Sep-20 12:38:59

Johnson, Maw

Some things are adding up.

But, Peston tweeted that baby Wilfred was being baptised at Wesminster Cathedral that weekend. He suggested that could be confirmed by the priest; though he, a supposed journalist, doesn't actually seem to have done his utmost to check the story..

Alternative story is that baby Wilfred was baptised in Perugia, Lebdev being godfather and throwing the christening party..

No. 10 denys, of course...

Teacheranne Mon 21-Sep-20 12:41:55

If the report is true, so what? It was only for a weekend and plenty of other people have been abroad this summer. He didn't break any rules and is entitled to have a life outside of politics. I'm not a supporter of BJ but I don't see why people are getting upset.

OK, I appreciate that the timing might not be brilliant with the current spike in new infections but he was in meetings yesterday to discuss the problem so doesn't appear to have been out of the loop for too long.

Maybe I am missing something significant here.

MawB2 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:46:07

Why is this an issue? Is there a ban on flights to Italy?

SueDonim Mon 21-Sep-20 12:47:17

Testing his eyesight, maybe? We know that’s legit!

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 12:49:31

MawB2- no restrictions to flights to and from Italy - so why lie? It is the deception that is the issue, and the fact he has denied close links to Russian Oligarchs on Umbria's private Mountains. And when calls from all sides are asking for urgent Cobra meeting on the rise in Covid which is a true emergency for the nation.

MaizieD Mon 21-Sep-20 12:50:39

MawB2

Why is this an issue? Is there a ban on flights to Italy?

The issue is related to the widespread suspicion that Johnson in in thrall to the Russians. Driven by a surprising number of Russian connections among the Vote Leave fraternity and an extraordinarily high level of Russian donations to the tory party.

I suppose that if he wants to take his little family away for an Italian weekend by private jet there's no law against it. Pity he's pleading poverty a week later, though...

Jaberwok Mon 21-Sep-20 13:06:29

Where did he go on holiday for six weeks in the summer?! Three days in Scotland I remember that , but anywhere else?! I can't see that a weekend in Italy is particularly excessive, no law was broken, and it would appear it took place at the beginning of the month. A non story!!

annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 13:39:48

If he went ok.
If he did and No 10 are now saying he didn’t, big problem.
He is proving to be a very unprincipled man.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 13:41:35

annsixty

If he went ok.
If he did and No 10 are now saying he didn’t, big problem.
He is proving to be a very unprincipled man.

Spot on

MaizieD Mon 21-Sep-20 14:07:29

Jaberwok

Where did he go on holiday for six weeks in the summer?! Three days in Scotland I remember that , but anywhere else?! I can't see that a weekend in Italy is particularly excessive, no law was broken, and it would appear it took place at the beginning of the month. A non story!!

As far as I'm concerned, Jabberwok, he could go on a 52 week holiday right now and let some grownups sort out the mess he's made. It wouldn't be a day too soon...

Grany Mon 21-Sep-20 14:10:12

WHERE’S BORIS? APPARENTLY HE’S BEEN IN PERUGIA GETTING INSTRUCTIONS FROM HIS RUSSIAN MASTERS

Boris Johnson and Evgeny Lebedev: what was the UK PM doing, if he was visiting this Russian oligarch’s Perugia villa right before starting a row with the EU – and isn’t it interesting that Russian money donated to the Tories has been linked with that country’s government, run by Vladimir Putin?

voxpoliticalonline.com/2020/09/21/wheres-boris-apparently-hes-been-in-perugia-getting-instructions-from-his-russian-masters/

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 14:19:38

Yes Lebenev has an estate in Perugia.

Nezumi65 Mon 21-Sep-20 14:31:22

The issue isn't Johnson going to Perugia. It's Johnson hobnobbing with Lebedev.

If he went to Perugia he will have hobnobbed with Lebedev.

I plan to watch Panorama tonight because I can't quite work out what the Russians get from meddling in UK politics (is it just money making/money laundering or is there more?)

MaizieD Mon 21-Sep-20 14:42:45

I plan to watch Panorama tonight because I can't quite work out what the Russians get from meddling in UK politics (is it just money making/money laundering or is there more?)

It was about destabilising the EU initially, according to this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

(Haven't posted that link for a while grin)

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:29:40

Lebenev is famous for his parties.

Wonder if Carrie went, as I wouldn’t trust Johnson no further than I could throw him.

We know that Johnson has been to a number of lebenev’s parties, including the notorious one when he flew to Italy just after the Salisbury poisoning.

lemongrove Mon 21-Sep-20 15:43:56

It’s a non story ( as usual)
Lebedev may be famous for throwing great parties ( so what?)
He happens to be Russian ......that doesn’t make him Putin’s bestie or part of the Russian political machine.
If he was Romanian would that make it better? Or anything else come to that.
PM’s stay with all kinds of people....all of which are heavily vetted by the secret services.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:44:43

lemongrove

It’s a non story ( as usual)
Lebedev may be famous for throwing great parties ( so what?)
He happens to be Russian ......that doesn’t make him Putin’s bestie or part of the Russian political machine.
If he was Romanian would that make it better? Or anything else come to that.
PM’s stay with all kinds of people....all of which are heavily vetted by the secret services.

You wish

biba70 Mon 21-Sep-20 15:47:27

Are you extremely naïve - or I just don't know.

You need to look into who Lebedev is, and what he stands for. he is not just 'any old Russian', please, for goodness sake. Hope you do watch Panorama- and then come back and say it is a non-story. As usual, I suppose you won't.

growstuff Mon 21-Sep-20 15:47:41

They don't give them a seat in the House of Lords usually. So what exactly has Lebedev done for the country?

BTW Somebody at Perugia Airport says Johnson was confused with Tony Blair - I mean, you can see the similarity. can't you?